CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone experienced a sort of cognitive blunting on Lithium? I'm on barely a high dose, but I have been on it 5 weeks so it's definitely in my system. I haven't lost all pleasure in things like I did when I was on antipsychotics, but it's nearly impossible to read, nor do I have the drive (and that is very strange for me). My memory isn't as great as it used to be either. I can't give you exact circumstances because they are all strange and little things, but definitely a new symptom. I have been researching it online and most of the studies say that it barely affects memory and cognitive functioning. However, I am NOT imagining not being able to comprehend what I read very well. Anyone have personal stories? No articles and studies...I've read a few today. I just want personal input.

When i first started lithium, I had no problems, went up on it very slowly.

Then stopped it and tried something else.

THEN tried lithium again, but this time went up on it a lot faster and experienced something similar to what you are describing.

So we quit that and went back to something else.

Next time, we went up a lot slower, and I didn't really have the cognitive effects.

So, what to do now?

Maybe wait it out?

It may eventually go away.

I'm not clear: have you been raising your dose?

Have you gotten a level recently?

I would give it time, since five weeks is not very long. Many side effects fade with time. I started lithium in January, and I definitely felt dulling at first, but it is fading a lot now, and I have the drive and ability to read and write academic stuff again.

Archived