CrazyBoards.org

I've been in counseling for this before and I suppose I'll have to go back...

I'm not suicidal. I am not going to commit suicide.

That being said I have suicidal thoughts all the time. I can't seem t stop thinking about it. I just see images of myself killing myself or trying to kill myself and I can't help but fixate on them. I try to distract myself and think more positively but seriously changing your own thoughts is not that easy.

It's really irritating that I even have these thoughts.

And is it considered crazy to yell at your own mind? because I do...all the time

Is there a trick to getting rid of unwanted thoughts? Is there some secret that I don't know about?!

I think about suicide a lot and have done since I was about 12. Sometimes it eases but it never seems to go away. I've found that meds tend to help with this but for me the thoughts are still there sometimes. Sorry I can't really help with tricks to get rid of thoughts, but you aren't alone with this problem.

I guess it differs from person to person on how we each deal with things. I can say I live with this, and there are many people especially on CB that deal with this. For me, I just either try to keep myself occupied or if that doesn't work I think about the situation in reverse. Like, if someone else who I felt very fondly of were to attempt suicide and how it would make me feel.

There are techniques you can learn in therapy such as mind filtering; learning to identify the thoughts quickly and wash them away.

SSRI medication is also often helpful for clinical obsessions and suicidal thoughts. What have you tried (if anything) so far? You could talk to a dr about medication.

I tend to get obsessional/intrusive thoughts all of the time. Sometimes they are about suicide, but not always. Prozac seems to help me.

Hi,

I used to have suicidal thoughts alot, and I even had a very serious suicide attempt about 5 years ago. When I was in the hospital, I was put on carbamazepine (Tegretol). I haven't had a serious suicidal thought since. But what works for me may not work for you.

I had serious suicidal thoughts most of last year, as my depression worsened. I've been on meds for four months and the suicidal thoughts haven't recurred at all. Before I was on meds, I got through it by recognizing that there was a "bad me" in my head, telling me all sorts of crazy things. I learned to recognize when the "bad me" was saying that everything was hopeless, I should kill myself, I should leave my husband, etc., and ignore it, telling myself that I'd feel differently later. And eventually I would. The "bad me" has been gone since I got on a decent dose of Prozac.

Archived