CrazyBoards.org

Can PDocs prescribe nonpsych meds?

I'm going to Pdoc tommorrow for usual monthly check up and med adjustment.

I'm having serious stomach problems. I've acid reflux in the past and it seems to to come and go in severity, but lately it's really been hurting.

I took protonix for it and it worked nicely. I wonder if my PDoc can prescribe this? Cause going to regular doctor cost me a lot more money.

My experience with protonix and other PPIs was that they made me really achey and irritable. Possibly because I was on celexa and PPIs raise the amount of celexa in your system. One of the listed side effects on the PI sheet is depression, though.

Technically, they can rx it. My experience is that pdocs who own/run their own office are much more lenient about prescribing off-label & non-MI meds (if there's a good reason). I assume this is from not having to answer to anyone and not being constrained with restrictions. Pdocs that have someone looking over their shoulder will rarely rx non MI meds, and sometimes not even those that would be too off-label for fear of someone coming down on them.

I really don't know if you could get it from you pdoc or not, even in the former and best circumstance. I'd mention something like it may be happening due to the meds or that it makes it hard to take your meds... so there's at least a connection between your condition and what you need.

Anyway, ask and see what your pdoc says.

My experience with protonix and other PPIs was that they made me really achey and irritable. Possibly because I was on celexa and PPIs raise the amount of celexa in your system. One of the listed side effects on the PI sheet is depression, though.

The OP said she'd already had a good response to protonix, so....

The OP said she'd already had a good response to protonix, so....

Yes, he already had a good response.

And ya I managed to get the prescription. :lol: I previously tried prilosec but it made feel like i had the flu within the first few days. Protonix for whatever reason came to me with no side effects.

Doctor said no at first, then changed their mind.

Seriously? You have a source on that? I've never heard of depression being a side effect of those type drugs.

In any case I always use them temporarily even tho you're supposed to take them consistenly, I just take them when it gets really bad.

Archived