CrazyBoards.org

Which part of the schizoaffective is more troublesome for you?

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which part of the schizoaffective is more troublesome for you to manage?

• mood issues / depression / bipolar
    • schizophrenia / psychosis
    • other

What part of having schizoaffective disorder is more troublesome for you to manage even when it comes down to medication(s) and / or therapy?

For me it would have to be the bipolar portion of my schizoaffective. While the psychosis went away w/ 100mg Clozaril per day, I still had my mood symptoms which still took other med tweaks over the course of the past 4.5 months. I do thank med adjustments and therapy for helping me to control my mania's and depression's.

So what part of your schizoaffective illness is harder for you to control (even considering meds and/or therapy)?

Guest Vapourware

At present, I would say the mood component of my sza is harder to manage. I tend to have issues with depression and I find that hard to cope because it can be debilitating. My motivation becomes impaired and I feel apathetic about life, which can impair my functionality. I did have some issues with a touch of psychosis last month but it hasn't come back, so I'm okay in that regard.

Overall though, if you're talking about historically, I would say it would be roughly split half/half between the delusions and the depression.

I think about suicide and feel like laying in bed all day most days.

Thank God, I'm not the only person that feels like this!

My Schizoaffective is recently diagnosed, They have me on Wellbutrin & Thorazine. We are still trying to tweak drugs. I'm currently not in any therapy.

For me it's the psychosis. My antidepressants keep the flatness at bay, and my manias aren't too bad on meds. But when I can't think, and nothing makes sense, and I hallucinate, it's a living hell.

My psychotic symptoms go away with the meds I take. My upswing moods go away with the meds. And I'm left with the apathy and depression that only go away when I'm on meds that aggravate the rest.

And this is why the depression is the worst. Of all the symptoms it's the one my doctors take the least seriously and can do the least to help with.

I was diagnosed depression first then bp II. When the antidepressants started to work my psychosis arrived and stole the spotlight.

I don't have sza, but I've had both of depression and psychosis at different times in my life. I've never been manic.

In all honesty, I don't think there is much in it for me.

But I'm sure that when I was depressed, my insight was a lot worse and I was not willing or able to accept treatment. Also the depression was worse for my self esteem. Plus it was the depression that put me in hospital.

Much of the psychosis I get out through my art and it is only episodic anyway. And I can drown out the voices with my music. Though the psychosis is what I'm more scared of, but only because what caused my depression was in all intents and purpose a delusion even if I wasn't actually ill at the time - I prefer not to use that word there.

But I'd far rather live without either. And in my case they can't really be compared as they are 2 entirely separate entities.

Hope that made sense. I can't quite get what is wrong with the grammar but I know there is something. I'm probably just a little tired right now, seeing as I actually got up at a reasonable time today. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what is worse. I think for me the constant noise in my head. The conversations that happened, that didnt happen. that could have happened and the repetative music. I guess that is the psychosis? or the mania? Of course I think it is interesting that the only times since I was like 16 that I have attempted suicide or that I have had a plan have been while I was on my meds for szchizoaffective. I will say the meds help for the noise. It is mostly quiet now.

Archived