CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone else get this?

Sometimes when people talk to me, I have no clue what they are saying. The words hold no meaning they are just empty words rattling around my skull. Increasingly people have to repeat things to me so that I can put a meaning behind what is being said.

My intelligence is decreasing, my vocabulary skills are becoming more and more crappy.

What is getting me is my lack of ability to converse, because I sometimes just can't comprehend the most basic of phrases even.

I'm currently dx as schizoaffective bipolar type, but my docs are considering changing my dx to just paranoid schizophrenia.

Yeah, I have that often. Usually it's because I'm lost in my own little world, and I have to ask people to repeat what they just said. As a matter of fact, it just happened today. And when I was taking dexamphetamine, I thought people were talking to me in a foreign language.

I don't have SZ, but I too feel that I'm getting dumber by the minute. It's not just my meds either.

Guest Vapourware

I get this too sometimes - I don't know why, it could be cognitive issues from the sza or attentional issues, but during these times, people can be talking to me and their words are sounds that don't mean anything to me. It gets frustrating and confusing for me, especially when I have to ask people to repeat themselves.

I've found that my cognitive issues have increased since my last delusional episode in general, maybe there is some truth to the concept that psychosis fries your brain.

I get this a lot, I always feel lost and confused in general and when people try to converse with me (especially strangers) I feel like i'm suddenly being spoken to in a foreign language and it scares me half to death and raises my anxiety levels because when this happens I never know how to respond to the conversation but yet I feel I have to unless i'll be seen as some rude person, or a super sensitive and shy person.

This is so similar to something I have.

People will talk to me and they might as well be speaking a foreign language as far as I am concerned. I know they are talking, but have no clue whatsoever what is being said. And they then expect me to be able to hold down a conversation with them, when I'm just like 'huh? eh? what was that again?'

I really hate it, loads. It just makes me even more convinced (with this on top of the many stupid things I have done during my psychotic episodes) that I lost most of my intelligence when I had my breakdown a few years ago.

You are not alone here. And thanks for helping me to know that I am not alone with it either.

Hope things get better for you soon.:rolleyes:

This comes under the classification of confusion. I get this too. I just look at someone while they are talking to me and they may as well be speaking in a different language.

Unfortunately confusion is part of sz. Meds can help with this symptom. My clozapine definitely helps...

• 3 weeks later...

Good thread.

Recently I went to an oral surgeon to get a tooth pulled, they were going to use laughing gas (nitrous oxide) and there was nothing funny about it :angry2:. I started seeing visual hallucinations again, I was barely able to mumble out (although I felt that I was screaming) "I can't do this, lets use pain killers instead." The assistants response was something like, "Minute a wait since and we can use the fresh air?" :unsure: . She had walked away and I couldn't ask her what she had just said.

Ehh...It happens.

I have this happen a lot. I find it helps if I look at peoples mouth when they talk (hope it doesn't creep them out too much!) It helps me focus and kinda see what they are saying (like lip reading).

It helps me focus because then I know they are actually talking and its not just another one of the voices (that I tend to ignore)

If I'm off in my own little world nothing helps... I just miss everything even though I know the person has been talking to me.

I have trouble with this as well. As I get older, my vocabulary is decreasing and my comprehension is also falling. It goes both verbal and reading. When people talk to me giving me instructions especially multi step, then I don't understand a word they say. If it gets more complex than a simple sentence then I am lost. I am autistic though and it can be related to that. My ability to read is also pathetic (except when I was younger much younger then I could read above age level but then it also decreased as I got older and now I have more aspects of dyslexia now than hyperlexia when I was very young (3 years old). Verbal stuff sucks with me. My vocabulary is bad as you can tell. I took a test yesterday and it was for 6th graders (I am NOT in 6th grade I am 28 years young) and still got some wrong. My attention span is also limited. So, my reading comprehension and people verbal comprehension are both horrible.

Archived