CrazyBoards.org

Paranoid or Possible?

Guest Vapourware

Unfortunately this board is public so anyone could possibly be reading your posts. Your best bets are to keep personal details as vague as possible, like not using real names or locations or any identifying details. Those are some options you can take to prevent people who may know you IRL from guessing your identity on here.

Hi,

I'm not sure why your therapist would read this board, would information he/she gleaned here outside of a session be permissible on your notes? And would he/she be able to search the net for all their clients? Therapists are pretty busy with sessions and notes. If you had told him/her that you post on these boards, maybe the temptation would be to look, but I doubt that your therapist has time to read here.

I used to worry about that, but then I realized that my (now former) therapist probably didn't care too much - she knew I used CB and never expressed even mild curiosity.

Even if your therapist did come here, it would likely be because they were crazy as well, and they'd probably be focused on their own stuff, not to mention being unable to identify which one of us you are, as others have said.

I told my therapist about it and even went to one of my CB posts on her computer to better explain something I was talking about. I knew her very well and I can say without any doubt that she didn't go back and read any other things. I don't believe any therapist would really extend effort into tracking you down online. Especially with the fact that there is alot of paperwork involved that can get backed up - which is worked on between patients. They focus on you for your session and then go back to their own stuff until someone else comes in. Rinse and Repeat.

They'll listen to you and either say goodbye or have you baker acted. No spy stuff.

My p-doc knows I am on some mental illness forum, I have never named it specifically. But I mention things I have heard about medication, or how "textbook" or severe an episode I am having is, admitting that I read it on a forum. He has usually agreed with what I have said, or had a specific reason why something didn't apply in my case. He knows my dad is a p-doc, and he knows who my prior p-doc was, because he is a well known academic, so he understands that I have a reasonable level of understanding for a lay person: I have unintentionally fooled psychiatrists into thinking I am a psychiatrist.

I seriously, seriously doubt he has time or interest in even reading a first person site, let alone an interest in tracking me down. And since I am out anyway, I am not really concerned.

I wasn't really thinking she would purposefully track me down. I was thinking more that maybe she might stumble across this sight and put two and two together... Like "The post is exactly what I was talking about with..."

I wasn't really thinking she would purposefully track me down. I was thinking more that maybe she might stumble across this sight and put two and two together... Like "The post is exactly what I was talking about with..."

Ok, well then, if I were the therapist..

I probably wouldn't be going through this site anyway except if I had problems myself to talk about. Why not? Money, Time, and the lack of the ability to help in the way I could help in my office. My time would be better spent on how to help my own patients and on my own life. If I were to find CB helpful to me in any way, and I came across a post that I thought may be one of my patients or rather similar.. I may use that as a possible conversation track. This would only occur should the post give me an ah-hah.. this could be pertinent to my patient and I haven't brought this up yet. However, if the interaction made me think (at all) that it was the same person, I'd feel obligated to not read those posts anymore. It simply would not be appropriate and even wrong to do so.

So, you're worried that she would find out things that you've been hiding from her? Isn't it good to tell your therapists the truth so they can help you?

If a doctor or therapist recognizes you through a post, they cannot acknowledge to others that they know you, if the only contact they have had with you is through treatment. To do otherwise violates patient confidentiality laws. They can disclose the fact they recognized you later on, during an session, but only to you.

For example, when I was a "buddy" to people with HIV or AIDS, if I met them in a context that did not have to do with our "buddy" relationship, I acted as if I had never met them. Otherwise, the question of "where did you meet?" becomes possible. I have had to be "reintroduced" to a buddy. It really wasn't that hard. I mean, I am positive my buddy realized I recognized her, but I never indicated to anyone else that I had met her previously.

Now I am not even sure this is in context. Sorry.

Archived