CrazyBoards.org

This will probably sound weird, but i'm scared of rings. Like, the ones you put on your fingers.

It all started in '05 when I went to New Zealand with my dance school for a dance competition and a girl got her finger dislocated out of its socket. I can't remember what the cause was but it scared me just looking at it, and now whenever I see rings, or if I ever think about putting a ring on my finger I start to get scared and have a lot of anxiety and I start to think 'what if the ring gets stuck and my finger gets dislocated?' and thoughts like that.

It's weird and i've spoken to my old doc and he thought there was nothing to worry about, like it isn't a phobia or anything..

Anyone experience this or something similar? I feel alone here lol.

When I do witness an injury and its bad enough that I feel a sense of shock, I think what Im really feeling is fear of damage to my Self. A crippling injury of some kind that changes who I am at a really deep level. Its like the logical part of my brain knows its an injury and you heal.. but the unconscious is so afraid of being hurt that injuries are a trigger.

Wish I could explain it better. Your therapist should have some ideas if you tell them about it. Maybe tracing the fear to its source while its fresh in your mind would help.

Are you able to wear one on a chain around your neck? Or would that freak you out too? I'm just wondering how advanced the problem is. I think the others are right that you should talk to your psych about this.

Good luck.

Archived