CrazyBoards.org

I need some advice please

Hi. I am newly diagnosed with Bipolar I rapid cycling... I have not learned all of the abbreviations here yet so bare with me. Currently, I am in the lowest of depressions that I have been in since I was a child. I was actually suicidal when I was a child. I am NOT suicidal currently, but will cry or tear up at the drop of a hat! It is affecting me even at work, I cry in front of co-workers sometimes, and I am so embarrassed. I know they have labled me as crazy at this point... Anyway, I was on Pristiq, but feeling great, so came off of it, which I now feel was a big mistake. I cant get back in to see my doctor until 4/8/11. I was prescribed saphris 1x day at bedtime (5mg) and adderall 10mg 2x per day for ADD.. These rx were given to me on Friday 3/25, I CANNOT tolerate the saphris (see my introduction for more info regarding that). So my question is do you guys think I should start back taking my Pristiq until I see the dr and ask to continue it, or should I WAIT until the dr appointment at 4/8/11? Or what should I do? I dont know. I know the Pristiq helps my depressions, but it does not help my manias at all, so I am not sure if the pdoc will put me on something totally different to control both or if he will just supplement the Pristiq with something to help the mania.. And I dont want the pdoc to feel like I am just making my own decisions when it comes to my meds, but I know for a fact the Pristiq was helping my depression??? What do you guys think?

I did call the dr, and the receptionist stated she will call me if anyone cancels, but for now, there are no earlier appointments. And I only took the saphris like 4 times and each time DID NOT tolerate it well at all, so I stopped for my own health and safety. I am still on the adderall that the doc prescribed me though. So I didnt know if since I am so low, if it was a bad idea to go ahead and try and get back on the Pristiq or just wait until 4/8 (or earlier if I get an appt) to discuss my concerns with the doc?

Well, here is my other problem. I worry about "getting on the receptionist's nerves" or what she may think of me.. I am not sure if this is part of bipolar or another illness altogether, but I obsess over what other people may think about me. So I should just bite the bullet and call, right? (Easier said than done, it will be hard to pick up the phone but I will make myself do it)

Yes, call.

I have pissed off a few receptionists. It may or may not bother her. The important thing is that you get your needs taken care of. You're the one who has to live with your condition.

Just call. Dealing with people who call is part of the receptionist's job. So it wouldn't really make a lot of sense for her to be annoyed by your calling. But even if she was, who cares, really? Compared to the importance of addressing your health issues responsibly, an irritated near stranger seems pretty trivial.

Guest Vapourware

I hope that you'l call up your pdoc as well to ask him about whether you should restart the Pristiq. Does your pdoc know that you were on Pristiq, then took yourself off it?

I hope that you'l call up your pdoc as well to ask him about whether you should restart the Pristiq. Does your pdoc know that you were on Pristiq, then took yourself off it?

Yes, I on my first visit I told him I was currently taking the pristiq, and then with this last visit on 3/25, I told him that I had weaned myself off of it because I felt better. I am not sure why he didnt suggest that I go back on it, there may be some reason why... I didnt suggest to go back on it at the time,because I felt like maybe the new meds he was prescribing would be better for my condition. The pristiq was excellent for my depressions but of course did not even touch any manic or hyopmanic episodes. I will call the pdoc today and ask if I should go back on the pristiq now or just wait until my office visit, and I will also let him know that I CANNOT tolerate the saphris. I am glad that stuff works well for some people, but it does not work for me at all. I cant get past the horrible side effects that it caused for me. I had just about every aweful side effect that it lists. :(

Yes, I on my first visit I told him I was currently taking the pristiq, and then with this last visit on 3/25, I told him that I had weaned myself off of it because I felt better. I am not sure why he didnt suggest that I go back on it, there may be some reason why... I didnt suggest to go back on it at the time,because I felt like maybe the new meds he was prescribing would be better for my condition. The pristiq was excellent for my depressions but of course did not even touch any manic or hyopmanic episodes. I will call the pdoc today and ask if I should go back on the pristiq now or just wait until my office visit, and I will also let him know that I CANNOT tolerate the saphris. I am glad that stuff works well for some people, but it does not work for me at all. I cant get past the horrible side effects that it caused for me. I had just about every aweful side effect that it lists. :(

What are the Saphris side effects you experienced?

In all probability, your pdoc did not re-prescribe Pristique because you took yourself off of it. Also, if you are bipolar, it alone is not a good choice of med.

You have now taken yourself off two meds. You are playing doctor to yourself. You are disregarding your pdoc's skill and expertise. If you were my patient, I would fire you. There is a fair chance that if you pull this stunt again your current pdoc will, too.

Call your doc's office everyday until you get an answer/directions or an appointment. That is the most responsible thing for you to do regardless of whether it irritates a receptionist or two. In truth, you should be doing this while on Saphris but since you haven't clarified that you are not having an allergic reaction, I won't go there. Do NOT restart Pristique. You have no expertise in psych meds nor knowledge when to stop or start which meds.

In all probability, your pdoc did not re-prescribe Pristique because you took yourself off of it. Also, if you are bipolar, it alone is not a good choice of med.

You have now taken yourself off two meds. You are playing doctor to yourself. You are disregarding your pdoc's skill and expertise. If you were my patient, I would fire you. There is a fair chance that if you pull this stunt again your current pdoc will, too.

Call your doc's office everyday until you get an answer/directions or an appointment. That is the most responsible thing for you to do regardless of whether it irritates a receptionist or two. In truth, you should be doing this while on Saphris but since you haven't clarified that you are not having an allergic reaction, I won't go there. Do NOT restart Pristique. You have no expertise in psych meds nor knowledge when to stop or start which meds.

Well, I do agree with some of your points, but not all of them. I was NOT seeing the pdoc when I took myself off the Pristiq. The pdoc did not prescribe me the pristiq, my GP did. I feel like taking the saphris is hazzardous to me because the morning after the first night I took it, I passed out and hit my head and ended up in the er. It gives me horrible restless legs to the point that I cannot sleep. The restless legs keep me awake for several hours tossing and turning. I can take it at night around 8:30pm and the following day I feel completely drunk, dizzy, impaired, cannot drive myself to work and cannot function at work. I have to go to work because I have to make money, and I do not have someone drive me to work. Why try to take something that makes you feel worse than you do when you are not on meds??????

Well, I do agree with some of your points, but not all of them. I was NOT seeing the pdoc when I took myself off the Pristiq. The pdoc did not prescribe me the pristiq, my GP did. I feel like taking the saphris is hazzardous to me because the morning after the first night I took it, I passed out and hit my head and ended up in the er. It gives me horrible restless legs to the point that I cannot sleep. The restless legs keep me awake for several hours tossing and turning. I can take it at night around 8:30pm and the following day I feel completely drunk, dizzy, impaired, cannot drive myself to work and cannot function at work. I have to go to work because I have to make money, and I do not have someone drive me to work. Why try to take something that makes you feel worse than you do when you are not on meds??????

Oh, and another thing, you are REALLY MEAN! I took myself off the Pristiq because I was feeling good and I didnt know any better! I am brand new to any kind of pdocs or mental illnesses or anything like that, and I am SCARED and CONFUSED and SAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I did call my pdoc this morning and left a message with the receptionist to have him call me back. He called me back just a little while ago. I explained how it was making me feel and he said that I should not be feeling drunk and dizzy like that the following day. He said I may be havint a reaction, and at first he told me not to take the saphris at all until our appointment. Then, I guess he started thinking about it and he told me to try to gently break the blister in half and try to take half of it, which would be 2.5mg... He said try that over the weekend and call him Monday to let him know how that does. He suspects maybe the dosage of 5mg is too much for me right now. So I am going to do that. Wish me luck that I am able to tolerate the 2.5mg well and it helps me feel better! Otherwise, I have an appt to see him again on Fri 4/8.

Oh, and another thing, you are REALLY MEAN! I took myself off the Pristiq because I was feeling good and I didnt know any better! I am brand new to any kind of pdocs or mental illnesses or anything like that, and I am SCARED and CONFUSED and SAD!!!!!!!!!!!

No, Stacia's not the least bit mean. She's really honest. Your behavior has been very foolish. Given that you'd been drinking the night you first took saphris, it's ridiculous to blame the events of the next morning on the saphris alone. The side effects you describe really don't sound that intolerable, and are the kind of things that often get better over time. You gave Saphris, what? Three or four days?

As far as taking yourself off of Pristiq because you were feeling good, that is, again, just foolish. Who makes those kinds of decisions about her meds, any kind of meds, herself? The smarter approach would have been to contact whatever doctor you were working with at the time, to discuss your thoughts with him or her. Ignorance is just not an excuse. You have a responsibility to educate yourself, and advocate for yourself. Not to play doctor on your own brain.

No, Stacia's not the least bit mean. She's really honest. Your behavior has been very foolish. Given that you'd been drinking the night you first took saphris, it's ridiculous to blame the events of the next morning on the saphris alone. The side effects you describe really don't sound that intolerable, and are the kind of things that often get better over time. You gave Saphris, what? Three or four days?

As far as taking yourself off of Pristiq because you were feeling good, that is, again, just foolish. Who makes those kinds of decisions about her meds, any kind of meds, herself? The smarter approach would have been to contact whatever doctor you were working with at the time, to discuss your thoughts with him or her. Ignorance is just not an excuse. You have a responsibility to educate yourself, and advocate for yourself. Not to play doctor on your own brain.

OKAY, YOU KNOW WHAT? I THOUGHT I FOUND A PLACE WHERE I COULD COME AND LEARN SO THAT I DID NOT DO FOOLISH THINGS ANY LONGER. I DIDNT KNOW I WAS SIGNING UP ON THIS BOARD TO BE JUDGED! I BET THERE IS NOT A ONE FREAKIN PERSON ON HERE THAT IS PERFECT, OR ELSE YOU WOULDNT BE ON A CRAZY BOARD IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! I CAME HERE TO EDUCATE MYSELF ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON SO THAT I DO NOT MAKE ANY MORE MISTAKES. I REALIZE THAT IT WAS A MISTAKE TO COME OFF THE PRISTIQ IN THE FIRST PLACE, BUT HINDSIGHT IS 20/20, AS THEY SAY. I CANT CHANGE THE PAST. ALL I CAN DO IT TRY AND DO THE RIGHT THING NOW! WHY DO YOU PEOPLE THINK I EVEN ASKED WHAT I SHOULD DO IN THE FIRST PLACE! ??? BECAUSE I WAS UNSURE. I HAVE NEVER TAKEN A MEDICINE LIKE SAPHRIS BEFORE, ALL I KNOW IS IT MADE ME FEEL VERY WEIRD, I DIDNT KNOW IF I WAS HAVING SOME KIND OF BAD REACTION OR NOT! I CERTAINLY DIDNT WANT TO JEPARDIZE MY PHYSICAL HEALTH ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE! HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO WORK IF THE SHIT MAKES ME FEEL DRUGGED THE ENTIRE NEXT DAY????

I CALLED THE PDOC TO TRY AND GET AN EARLIER APPOINTMENT AND COULDNT, SO I FELT THAT IT WAS IN MY BEST INTEREST AT THAT TIME TO HOLD OFF TAKING IT UNTIL I FOUND OUT WHETHER THE SIDE EFFECTS I WAS FEELING WERE NORMAL OR IF I WAS HAVING SOME KIND OF REACTION. IF THAT IS FOOLISH THEN I AM FREAKIN SORRY!!!

YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT MY STUPID FOOLISH ASS POSTING ON THIS BOARD ANY MORE!!! EVENTUALLY I WILL FIND A CARING PATIENT INDIVIDUAL SOMEWHERE WHO WILL LISTEN AND OFFER ADVICE IN A NICE WAY!! GOOD RIDDANCE! I AM DONE! THIS IS CRAZY! HOW THE HELL IS A NEW-COMER SUPPOSED TO FEEL BETTER IN THIS TYPE OF ATMOSPHERE? ALL I CAN SAY IS I HOPE YOU GUYS DONT TREAT ALL NEWBIES LIKE THIS OR YOU HAVE PROBABLY CAUSED PEOPLE TO HARM THEMSELVES! HOW DOES THAT MAKE YOU FEEL!!!!!

Firstly, welcome, and secondly, my apologies for not being in a place where I can read all the responses so far.

My (limited) expertise with these things is that you should call your pdoc(psychiatric doc)'s office ASAP and just ask if you can get in sooner. It can't hurt to ask, right?

You are in a better situation than many, believe it or not, in that you recognise that you need the extra help. Took me many many years to come to terms with that.

Medications are not infallible, and neither are pdocs. So never be afraid to say something isn't working, or to say that you can't deal with your life as it is now. It's only by being honest that any of us can truly find the route to recovery, and it's different for us all.

Again, sorry I can't read all the responses and my apologies if I've replicated others, but please know that I responded because I felt for you and want to let people know that someone gets where you're coming from.

All the very best x

pknight1120, I am sorry you are going through a bad patch and feel you're being treated badly here. You can find a lot of good information in the forums, but some of it will come in the form of fairly blunt advice. Even if you choose not to post here, there are a lot of threads with information about your meds and experiences that I think will be useful. Good luck to you.

I hope you come back and understand that was not the intent, to make you feel bad, but to help you get help for yourself. 3-4 days isn't long enough to give a med for whether it works well or not, a longer trial sometimes 2-3 weeks is more likely the case unless you were having SEVERE side effects, like for instance I was rx'd lamictal at my last pdoc appt and I wasnt able to tolerate it at all, it made my physically ill to the point of vomitting a couple times over the course of a weekend trial. I was able to see after 2-3 days of misery that it just wasn't going to be a good med for me. Now I called BEFORE I quit taking it, Monday, Started on a Friday, and they gave me permission to stop taking it. So I started to get better. We all want you to get helped, what they were saying was do what I described above, call and tell the receptionist your problems, and wait for the response from pdoc, even going so far as to leave a voice mail for doc, they don't mind especially if you're having trouble. You are still in the raw state after a diagnosis, where you don't want to believe it fits, I know I was there too, it sucks to be bipolar. :(

We don't hold back here, so the cost of that freedom is that people feel they have a right to sound off if you are doing something bad for yourself. Like drinking the first night you started a new med was not the best leg up to give that med a decent trial. You really should have known better, but that aside, NOW is what you need to be aware of, learn from it and don't do it again so the next new med you try MIGHT be the one that gives you peace of mind and the ability back to focus and function better. Stability is possible, Bipolar I & II CAN be managed. You just have to get over the acceptance of it first pknight, I know it hurts to think you have a MI (mental Illness) or something like a Mood Disorder like BP I & II are considered, but you need to get serious about your treatment or you'll never go anywhere and it won't be anyones fault but your own.

Sorry to be a mother hen, but I hate to see people as upset as you are, hurting themselves and flailing around making a scene because they are too upset to see straight, so take some time and calm down, but BE your own ADVOCATE, that's the heart of what everyone else was saying. Take care pknight. Welcome to Crazy Board, sometimes being new is hard, but if you come back just know we don't hold grudges here that I have seen in about two years of being a regular fixture. I have had some ups and downs, but these nice people here have been there for me a LOT since I joined June before last. :)

Archived