CrazyBoards.org

Should I look for another pdoc?

Just wondering, I am very new to the world of psychiatrists... I was referred by my GP to my current pdoc around mid-July 2010. When I first saw him, he said I had bipolar tendancies and added abilify and lunesta, I was already taking pristiq 50mg and xanax 1mg when needed... I saw him last friday and he said he would treat me for bipolar I and ADD .. I have been in a very bad state of depression for the past 2-3 weeks. He put me on saphris which I HATE and adderall.

So, since I am so new to this, I was wondering what pdocs normally do when you see them? Do they pretty much talk with you for a few minutes and ask you a few questions and then put you on meds or adjust your meds (which is what my doc has been doing), or is there more to it? I just want to make sure I am getting the care that I need with this pdoc...

I am just so confused and unsure.. I just want to feel "normal"

Some pdocs still do talk therapy while prescribing meds, other just prescribe with little talking aside from what's related to the meds. I've been to both. My current pdoc spends about 30 min talking with me about my life, what's going on, my symptoms, etc. and another 15 minutes or so talking specifically about meds. Your pdoc seems to take the latter approach. It doesn't mean that he's a bad practitioner, it just means that's his style. I suggest finding a therapist in addition to your pdoc so that you have a place to talk about things that might be bothering you.

I've never experienced a pdoc doing talk therapy. From experience i'd have a 15-30 minute appointment to discuss how i'm going, if anything bad has happened, symptoms and medications and then we'd either adjust medication or just keep it as it is. Sometimes pdocs can still do talk therapy, but it really differs.

I've never had a p-doc do therapy either. Mine is happy if I go to therapy (not currently doing so; my therapist said I had good coping skills and I needed to be medically dealt with, though of course I've been under medical treatment for quite some time) but he is a medical doctor and deals with that side of things. Your p-doc sounds pretty normal to me! Though I will say mine is generally happy to talk for longer with me about things that concern me or answer my questions.

With my current doctor we talk for a few minutes. I fell him in on any stresses in my life or symptoms plaguing me. He asks me exactly what meds and doses I am taking, and then decides whether to change my meds or keep things the same. When I return is based upon my well being and might very. One week, two weeks, six weeks. It all depends. It is very mutual. But I have been at this for a long time and have already had three other doctors.

oh, and I can email him if I have a problem.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure that everything was pretty normal. I have all of these fears... Fears that the pdoc is just prescribing me whatever based on a short conversation, fears that people will think that i am some kind of addict (this fear alone makes me not want to take any meds), fears that the meds will cause crazy side effects, fear that people dont like me or are talking about me, fear that my management at work thinks I am not doing a good job, constant worry and fear about things. It really gets tiring!

I hear ya! I have a bunch of those too, especially about work. When my anxiety was really bad my gp gave me some ativan and I was sooo nervous to ask my pdoc for more, in case he thought I was drug-seeking, but it worked so much better for my anxiety than lyrica ever did. And of course he was fine with it. But I worry too. All this is scary, especially when it's still pretty new.

I hear ya! I have a bunch of those too, especially about work. When my anxiety was really bad my gp gave me some ativan and I was sooo nervous to ask my pdoc for more, in case he thought I was drug-seeking, but it worked so much better for my anxiety than lyrica ever did. And of course he was fine with it. But I worry too. All this is scary, especially when it's still pretty new.

It is new to me. That is why it is so scary. I am sorry for all the questions and posts but I am just so confused and unsure, and my mind will not stop.. It just goes and goes and I am in the worst depression, and I am so ready to come out of it! I just really wish I could stay in bed nonstop, but then I have those fears and worry so if I didnt go to work and stayed in bed tomrrow, I would be afraid of getting in trouble at work, or afraid of getting fired. ugh!

It is new to me. That is why it is so scary. I am sorry for all the questions and posts but I am just so confused and unsure, and my mind will not stop.. It just goes and goes and I am in the worst depression, and I am so ready to come out of it! I just really wish I could stay in bed nonstop, but then I have those fears and worry so if I didnt go to work and stayed in bed tomrrow, I would be afraid of getting in trouble at work, or afraid of getting fired. ugh!

We are here for questions, so don't worry about asking them.

Therapy. You sound like you would really benefit from therapy. It is very common to treat bipolar with meds and therapy. There is a lot of coping required and we need to be good at handling stress. Right now, you have a lot of questions about bipolar, not so much managing it. That is normal. That is more stuff a good therapist with experience with bipolar could help you out on. Ask your pdoc for a referral.

Continue to get up and go to work. Maintaining routine helps fight depression. Laying around the house tends to make it worse. Anything that can get your brain to focus on something other than feeling crappy is good.

It sounds like you should call your pdoc and ask for an appt soon. Saphris does not sound like your answer or at least not at the dose you are taking. No one wants you to feel bad, including your pdoc, but you have to tell him what is happening for him to take any action. Give him a call.

Many bp meds have some nasty side effects when you first start taking them but they mostly get better with time. It's a serious illness that requires serious medication and can have serious side effects sometimes. That's just the nature of the beast.

The best way to do it if you can is to wait 4-6 weeks to see if the side effects wear off before deciding if you want to stay on a medication or not.

On the other hand, if you can't stand it, you can't stand it. It's better to call your psychiatrist and ask about changing medication or the dose than it is to just quit taking it and be on nothing.

Many bp meds have some nasty side effects when you first start taking them but they mostly get better with time. It's a serious illness that requires serious medication and can have serious side effects sometimes. That's just the nature of the beast.

The best way to do it if you can is to wait 4-6 weeks to see if the side effects wear off before deciding if you want to stay on a medication or not.

On the other hand, if you can't stand it, you can't stand it. It's better to call your psychiatrist and ask about changing medication or the dose than it is to just quit taking it and be on nothing.

Unfortunately, I really CANT STAND It. :(

I feel guilty about it, because I feel like I am not giving the saphris time to see what it will do, but I am more miserable when on it than I am in my depression without it. I have called my pdoc and asked her to work me into any cancellations, so I am praying that there will be a cancellation, SOON. If not, I will continue to take my xanax when needed and my adderall and then see the doc on 4/8/11. Wish me luck. :)

Archived