CrazyBoards.org

So, I "graduated" in May with a degree in music therapy. Basically, it's a counseling career, but instead of talking all the time, using music. I was sure this was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life five years ago. Throughout college, I would go through periods of doubt, which isn't anything abnormal. But in March of my senior year I was committed to the looney bin for a week. Perfect timing, right? I didn't finish up all of my coursework in time, and I ended up finishing it up over the summer. My music therapy prof isn't really sure that I'm stable enough now to go onto my internship, which is required to receive my degree. I've been minimum-waging it since May.

The problem is that now I'm not so sure this is what I want to pursue. Not only am I not sure that I'm strong enough for it (I've been crazy-free since last summer, but haven't really been stressed enough for any craziness to occur) but I'm just not really enjoying it the way I used to. I started volunteering in the music therapy dept. at a local nursing home, and I'm just not feeling it. I don't know if it's because I've lost momentum or what. But being out of school and in the "real world" has really opened my eyes. I don't have this tunnel vision like I had in college. However, if I don't go through with the internship, I don't get my music therapy degree. I just don't know if I trust myself with other people's lives in the therapist capacity. What happens if the crazy sets in again? It could be remedied in college, and was quite a few times with pushed-back due dates, but once I'm out there on my own, I don't have that luxury. There are probably other options with other classes I can take to receive a different degree...

Also, I'm not a huge believer in the "everything happens for a reason" thing, but the other day, I just happened to be in my favorite coffee shop the day after the owner's only employee got up and left in the middle of his shift, and the owner just happened to ask me to work for her. She wants to train me so that eventually she can leave the coffee shop to me. It's this amazing opportunity to do something I've always wanted to do but had no idea how to achieve, and it would open up all of these exciting doors. I went with something relatively practical five years ago and just ran with it. I really don't know what to do. And I know nobody can decide what to do for me, but I sure wish someone could.

oh man.. i'm batshit crazy and i'm aiming at clinical psychology here.. maybe i am doing something wrong? i don't know. contrary to you, i believe in this "everything happens for a reason" thing. can you postpone your internship? i mean, do you have to take it right after the completion of your degree? i'd cover my back and take the opportunity at the coffee shop but it would be nice to know that i could always go back and do the internship since my degree is completed.

I was going to say what Sylvan said. Plus, no one truly knows where their career path will lead them while still in college, no matter how certain one may feel at the time. The degree is more important than what you got the degree in.

I would go for the degree because I think if you're worried about how your particular flavor of crazy may affect your ability to function as a music therapist, you seriously need to consider how it will affect your ability to function as the potential partner/owner of a business. I think the therapy position would actually be a lot less stressful in the long run because you could take time off if you absolutely had to. If you're running a coffee shop you won't have that luxury because the business could tank if you're not there all the time, and you would need a lot of cash to bring it back up.

That's assuming you own the business. A lot of red flags jumped out at me when you described the coffee shop owner. Why did the employee quit in the middle of the shift? It could be the employee is a flake, but it could also very possibly be that the owner is horrible to work for, or some combination of the two. People act a lot different when you work for them, as opposed to how they treat you when you're a paying customer.

The other huge red flag is what does the owner mean, they want to leave you the coffee shop? Are they near death and going to put you in their will? I doubt it, so they probably mean they want to train you and leave you in charge as manager or something. This could be okay if they pay you really well, but a lot of times it's not in your best interest because you'll have all the headaches of managing a small business (like employees quitting in the middle of their shift), but the owner will take all the profit. It's very doubtful that someone would leave you a business that's not doing so as part of a will. A living business owner will want to sell you the business, and depending on the business, you're probably going to need some pretty serious cash to do so.

If I were you I would explain to the owner that you need to finish your degree and will be done in xxx months, and would be happy to consider her offer at that time. Or maybe you could work there on a part time basis while you finish your degree. That way you'll have your degree and also have a better understanding of what it's like to actually work at a coffee shop. Good luck whatever you decide.

Archived