CrazyBoards.org

Ritalin and me

Well, here's the story: I had trouble with Ritalin not doing much for me, and the last time I saw my pdoc, I told him so. He asked if I wanted to discontinue it, and I said yes. Stupid, stupid me. Because I was going to be starting Remeron, a very sedating antidepressant, I should have stayed on it.

Since I had a few tablets left, I tried a dose of 20 mg, and I felt much better. I know this is a bad idea, self medicating, but I just wanted to find out if it was the Ritalin or me and what was the reason that it didn't work for me. I've read that 20 mg is not even a high dose, and it works for me - wakes me up and gives me motivation without getting high or anything.

So, my question is this: I'm sure if I ask him to put me back on Ritalin, he would. But how can I ask for a higher dose than I was taking (10 mg) without looking like a drug seeker?

So you stopped the 10 mg Ritalin that wasn't doing anything, added Remeron & got side effects, and have found that the higher dose (20mg) Ritalin helps that along with it actually working this time? Is that right?

Seems pretty clear cut to me. Sometimes you just need the right dose or making a switch between the two categories (Ritalin < - > Adderall) to find what works. Call up your pdoc and tell him the truth. He probably won't be happy with you modifying your meds, but I very highly doubt that he'll look at you as a drug seeker. You were the one who wanted to stop taking it. A drug seeker never would have done that. Anyway, just give him a call and see what he recommends.

So you stopped the 10 mg Ritalin that wasn't doing anything, added Remeron & got side effects, and have found that the higher dose (20mg) Ritalin helps that along with it actually working this time? Is that right?

Seems pretty clear cut to me. Sometimes you just need the right dose or making a switch between the two categories (Ritalin < - > Adderall) to find what works. Call up your pdoc and tell him the truth. He probably won't be happy with you modifying your meds, but I very highly doubt that he'll look at you as a drug seeker. You were the one who wanted to stop taking it. A drug seeker never would have done that. Anyway, just give him a call and see what he recommends.

Thanks Cetkat, I'm going to call him tomorrow to try to get an appointment this week to settle a great many issues: problems with the Remeron, problems with the Ritalin, and problems coming off the Paxil (he wants me off the Paxil completely).

Archived