CrazyBoards.org

leaving Cymbalta, should I switch to Lex/Zol/other?

after being on Cymbalta for over 6 years, I decided it is time to switch. reasons for this are that I have considerable amount of free time for the next 4 months, and I feel like confronting my fear of tapering off of this. I am also tired of how bad it makes me sweat when the weather goes above 60 degrees.

I was thinking either Lexapro or Zoloft, but am not sure if these make one sweat just as bad. another concern is the weight gain I had on Cymbalta. any recommendations?

Why do you want to switch? Ineffectiveness, side effects? What is your dx, MDD?

I only take 30mg Cymbalta a day, for social anxiety and OCD. I know that one day I will have to quit and have read horror stories about it being the most difficult one to quit, so I feel like that's a fear I need to face and get over.

also today was very nice and warm outside, and I began sweating within 5 minutes of walking down the street. Cymbalta causes a ton of sweating for me.

I am actually starting law school in August and feel like I have time to do this in the months before.

Most antidepressants are difficult to get off including the ones you listed. If Cymbalta is still working for you, I would stay on it if I were you.

That said, I want to ask you why you want to go to law school if you have social anxiety? I have severe social anxiety, and I went to law school. Bad, bad decision. I wasted a load of my parents money on that.

It's your body and mind, and it's your choice, but honestly, if you're on a medication that's working, I wouldn't throw that away over sweating. I'm sure it's really annoying, but there are WAY more annoying side effects out there, and if you start changing meds, you're likely to get at least some of them.

You can be on Cymbalta as long as you need it - there's no rule that you can only take it for a few years as far as I know.

Have you tried other solutions? They make prescription strength antiperspirant/deodorant, I know.

P.S. jt, I'm sorry that law school wasn't a good idea for you, but that doesn't mean that nobody with social anxiety will be able to make it work.

good advice guys. I just sometimes regret that 6 years ago I was in a bad place and went along with my doc, and now I know so much more about meds. but, you're right I guess it could be a lot worse.

as for social anxiety and law school, MANY lawyers are actually quite introverted people. it's not all about court room drama. in fact most law is a ton of research and writing.

If you want less weight gain, zoloft or prozac might help. But they dont have any positive effect on pain like cymbalta. They can be agitating and anxiogenic for some. Both seem to be common for use in OCD.

If you want another SNRI, effexor might be worth trying. Or an SSRI, maybe add an NRI to them later if you want. Desipramine might be a good choice for that if pain is an issue.

zoloft raises levels of desipramine so your doc would probably have you on a tiny dose if you took that combo.

zoloft is also bad for sweating in some folks. And usually the dose is higher for OCD and that seems to be where the most sweating is, in my experience on it. There are meds that help with that effect though. If you can tolerate topamax it might help with weight gain too. celexa is usually a big weight gainer, but wellbutrin sometimes helps offset that. I would worry about wellbutrin if you have anxiety though, usually its not helpful.

as for social anxiety and law school, MANY lawyers are actually quite introverted people. it's not all about court room drama. in fact most law is a ton of research and writing.

I agree with that, and I did not mean to imply that you can't be a good lawyer and have social anxiety. I just meant that it is harder for us. I don't know if you are in the US or not, but here in law school they use the Socratic Method in which they usually try to humiliate you in front of the class. Just be prepared.

Yeah, I don't think sweating is such a big deal if the med is working for you. I'd stay with it if I were you.

creepy: I took Effexor and sweated a lot. Then they added Wellbutrin and I was drenched in sweat. That combo didn't help me, but if it did, it would be a small price to pay to feel better.

creepy lol, that's a good rundown of meds.

yeah so noiserocker. is sweating your only complaint from cymbalta? I think the point creepy makes about topamax is good, but topamax has other SE's you might not wanna deal with. noiserock- does cymbalta make you more amped up, and do you not like that feeling? cause sweating just doesn't seem like a bad side effect, unless they anxiety from the sweating is the dealbreaker, which that is in fact probably a bad thing. do you get really anxious/nervous when you sweat, that people will look at you? that's perfectly normal to feel that way, i feel that way sometimes, i guess you just have to accept the feeling and sometimes it will go away.

if it doesn't maybe lexapro or zoloft would be right for you. I believe zoloft is the only one approved for OCD.

I do get a lot of sweating with zoloft and wellbutrin. Im thinking about ditching the wellbutrin and begging my doc to go back to desipramine. I have a very difficult time staying awake and getting out of bed in the morning and desipramine's longer halflife is helpful.. I can take it before bed. I also have a lot of body pain and knee / back stuff.

There are other meds for sweating but pretty much everything has side effects. =(

I would consider a trial of topamax though. might connect with some OCD symptoms too. I noticed that I had a lot more control over certain things on that drug.

I have severe night sweats almost every night. The sheets are always cold when I get back in bed after peeing or checking to make sure the door is locked :) I have gotten used to it over the past 8 years or so and now that my cocktail is working well for everything but some severe anxiety, I am not about to change meds. My previous wife made me sleep on a towel (Now, that was uncomfortable). Mattress Firm sells a fitted bed cover that feels like soft fabric, but will not let any moisture through to harm the mattress. They're a little steep, around $100, but work really well. Now, if the sweating is keeping you awake at night, that's a whole other story.

Tommy

Actually a lot of docs use it to prevent weight gain from other meds. I know that is not a predictable effect but its one of the few drugs that seems to do anything for weight gain. Ive tried several meds that are claimed to help with weight gain and none did anything except for topamax. Of course it made me as dumb as a box of rocks, but hey I wasnt eating everything in sight like I was previously on lexapro.

topamax also seems to help with excessive sweating that comes with a lot of SSRIs. The OP mentioned that was a concern.

Also theres some research regarding using it for OCD that suggests it might make it worth trying for that too. It did help some of my PTSD symptoms like ruminating, intrusive thoughts and re-experiencing.

So while I know its not an easy drug to take (theres a lot of not so fun side effects), since it could possibly fit a few symptoms I mentioned it. Obviously the OP is seeing a doctor and the doctor knows more than some armchair forum-surfer like myself. I dont see a problem suggesting something.. If this violates the rules Ill be happy to cease.

Topamax is not a drug that should be used for weight loss.

I would consider a trial of topamax though. might connect with some OCD symptoms too. I noticed that I had a lot more control over certain things on that drug.

Why on earth are you recommending someone who is stable on an antidepressant go on an anticonvulsant with very little published or anecdotal effect on what the OP is attempting to treat? You're not even OCD yourself, so I'm not sure how you can even make a recommendation based on personal experience.

Actually a lot of docs use it to prevent weight gain from other meds.

God, I hope not. It's not a predictable effect, and Topamax has so many bad side effects that I wouldn't want to use it for prophylaxis of anything except seizures. And migraines. Show me a pdoc who uses Topamax to prevent weight gain, and I'll show you a pdoc you should probably avoid.

Actually I think you have a point there.. Ive had some concerns about my doc even if I skip over the epic topamax failure. =p

Im not qualified to say if its good or bad.. I think that should be up to the doc and patient. I like that I had the option to try it though.

Show me a pdoc who uses Topamax to prevent weight gain, and I'll show you a pdoc you should probably avoid.

For OCD, all of the SSRI group are well reputed.

Lexapro has the reputation for having the least side effects, or perhaps as it is the new kid on the block.

Normally with SSRIs at least one will work for each individual, but sometimes it takes a couple of tries first. So for you it might be zoloft, prozac, paxil, celexa or lexapro.

You also need to give SSRIs 4-6 weeks to work effectively.

I peronally take prozac for depression, panic and OCD type thoughts. Its pretty good.

Its good to do some research, but I strongly suggest you talk with your dr about the different medication options.

yeah i would second not recommending topamax for OCD. like i said the side effects are not good. topamax does have some good effects on hyperhydrosis, and like aurochs said "wouldnt want to use it for anything but prophalyaxis for seizures and migraines"

the anticonvulsants, and most of them, specifically topamax and gabapentin, and the ones that make you dumber, are good for the most part, for people who don't in general need to use their brain too much at work for instance, or specifically sometimes for people like me, where my ego makes me cocky and think I'm smarter than people around me and makes me come off as rude or arrogant to most people. leading to social distress. and in general for me does make me not only lose weight, but make me eat better as well. i don't know why it is. whether it is a function of taking in more sunlight cause it definitely has an affect on my eyes, but i'm not sure. it just makes me appreciate fresher foods, and less cravings for crappy salty fattening foods.

Archived