CrazyBoards.org

I've been through a series of trial and error testings of various antipsychotics (I'm diagnosed schizoaffective).

Nothing seems to be quite doing the trick.......or the side effects are rough.

Anyone here on Clozapine or Clozaril? I understand this is the "go to" drug when nothing else seems

to be connecting the dots. I'm wondering why it is not more readily offered upfront by physicians if its a kind

of wonder drug? (suspect it may be the blood tests).

Any real testimonies about this drug either way on using it? I'm thinking about asking my Pdoc about it.

Clozaril works very well for my psychotic and manic symptoms of the Schizoaffective Disorder that I have.

I'm on 300mg of Clozaril per day.

My main psychosis symptoms are seeing things that aren't really there and mild paranoia from the shadows and feeling that people are behind my back. Clozaril had taken care of this very well.

Clozaril has also taken care of my manic symptoms very well such as irritability, restlessness, decreased sleep, rapid speech, impulsiveness, racing thoughts, and excitability.

Clozaril works very well for me.

The only downside for me is having to go for the blood work. In the beginning you go once a week for the first 6 months. Then you go once every other week. Then it's once every 4 weeks.

The only side effects I deal with are hypersalivation, anorgasmia, and constipation (which I treat with colace).

Best of luck to you and I hope clozaril is the med for you.

- Andy.

Clozaril worked wonders for my voices and paranoia.

However the sedation it gave me was terrible.

I was on 300mg. When i dropped to 200mg my symptoms came back so my pdoc added abilify to try and augment the clozaril.

I don't care about the blood work, it has just become a part of my monthly schedule.

I went through so many other anti-psychotics before i started the clozapine. I did both the aap and typical ones.

Hope it gets sorted out soon

GC

• 3 weeks later...

I take 500mg Clozapine 20 minutes before bed daily. It was the only drug out there with enough kick to send my psychosis reeling. The blood tests and slow titration are a pain, but it's worth it in the end.

Rich::

so andy or netsaavy. I know this clozaril helps out TD, or EPS symptoms which you struggled with a bit, as have I. but, is the drug really sedating for you? or is it not? cause i find whenever i take seroquel(similar drug in relation to clozaril(seroquel- which is not known for EPS symptoms) i still end up getting restless. doe s the drug give you any restless type symptoms? or does another drug take care of those symptoms. such as topamax. for me topamax killed any type of restless i had from antipsychs while on it.

I never had TD from Clozaril as I never had TD to begin with. However, Clozaril never caused EPS unlike other antipsychotic medications I tried (such as Abilify or Invega).

I take the entire dose @ bedtime because it is too sedating for me to take any amount in the morning or during the day.

I can still get restlessness but I don't know if it's from the medication of if it's a part of my "chemistry". I do my best to live with it.

I hope this helps answer your questions Blart752.

- Andy.

good, it's just that sometimes sedating medications like seroquel, made me have heart palps at night/arrhythiamis. but all that stuff was sorted out and it wasn't anything organic or damaging. but just made me wary of heavily sedating medications

Yes, you work slowly with Clozapine. I was started on 25mg per day and increased 25mg once every week until I got up to the ideal 300mg dosage that I'm on now. It does take time, especially if you may need a higher dosage.

But if you are patient, the wait it worth it in the end.

Archived