CrazyBoards.org

I don't know how to best explain it but on some forums that I visit, they have where you can give users + rep for if they give good posts.

I don't know if it would cost you anything to have this implemented. Just thought I'd make the suggestion.

Guest Vapourware

No thanks, it can also be used as a way of forming cliques and making people feel unwanted on the forums.

I've seen post rating systems on other sites. They are, by and large, complete failures. On the one hand, they can backfire totally and drive good users out. On the other, they can fill sites with robots dedicated to repeating the exact same posts over and over again to get more rep.

On a smaller scale, they can lead to the formation of cliques, as Vapourware said. At the very least, it's petty. We don't want people here writing quality posts just to get rep; we want them here writing quality posts because they care about what they're writing.

and we all know there are no cliques formed just from people gathering right? :rolleyes: good grief this is already a very (benign) but really cliquey place...I am not sure people can gather with out cliques!?

I do not think repping has anything to do with forming cliques

I like that you can rate a thread but repping individuals can demolish an already fragile self esteem

even if you do not think you care if someone reps you Andy ..people do care if no one ever does and it does hurt

Self-esteem is the biggest reason I see not to do it, as mentioned above. I would get hurt if some people got lots of +reps and I got none... and I would wonder what's wrong with me, then I would start a thread about being depressed, and then people might +rep me to make me feel better, then I'd feel like I didn't deserve it.

Really, its just another number to worry and obsess about!

yupp, and i would probably get crapped on for being a jerk or something, and would get tons of demotions, but it wouldn't bother me. but then IRL someone from this board would walk up to me and smack me in the face, and then that woudl hurt, lolz

Archived