CrazyBoards.org

What is normal SUPPOSED to feel like?

well, suddenly my emotions were not so RAW, not so strong. Much fewer episodes, and I was calmer. Still had my sense of humor but not so intense and emotional. Oh, the chatter in my head, the ruminating thoughts went away. I was shocked to have a calm brain.

Occasionally I will have a non bipolar day..what I mean is that it is not an issue or struggle. I can look back and see that kind of day. This gives me hope.

Defining normal for me is not easy as the medications make it complicated. The criteria my pdoc has is are my responses to life events in a normal range. Mine is having a good quality of life and not having concerns about activities and responsibilities.

Not quite there.

Yes, when you find that place you'll know. When I was able to step out of bed in the morning just because it felt like the logical thing to do, gaze at the Sun without wondering why it's necessary for that thing to move over the sky, and walk around without lead weights attached to my ankles... that was when I finally had one foot in that 'normal' world again.

It's a place that seems to exist somewhere in another dimension, but just keep on searching even when you don't know where to look. Life really can get better.

I thought I had it after getiting diagnosed last year and starting on meds. Now, I'm steady enough to see I have a ways to go yet. When I was borderline psychotic last year I often repeated the phrase, "Crazy people don't wonder if they are crazy, they just are." I took comfort in that because I often wondered if I was crazy. I'm looking for a new phrase now.

I am much more stable now. i don't know if i'm fully "normal" but most of the time i just don't care. Which i think is a good sign, since it means i'm enjoying the way i am for the most part. I think that is a characteristic of being "normal", not being so occupied/concerned with your mental state.

I still have some craziness going on but life has gotten much better since the prozac started working. I don't know what your med situation is but i'm sure things will improve for you. Take care

Normal is a relative term, in my opinion. I honestly don't think there's such a concrete thing AS normal, but as everyone else said, normal for you... you'll know it when you feel it. You'll know when you're "even." You'll now when your definition of "normal" strikes up. You'll know, you'll feel it, and if you do everything you need to do, it'll last.

For me, normal is not having the extreme mood swings and over-reactions to certain things. I have to admit that when I'm depressed I really miss the high end of the scale, but when stable i don't even think about it. I'm not sure if that's everyone else's "normal" but it's as close as I'm going to get, I think.

I wouldn't quite call it "normal" because that's relative, but I would use the term "stable" instead. Stable means having a wide range of emotions like most people do but without the extremes.

For me, I realized I was stable after 9 mos or so of being stable. It wasn't as if I woke up one day and said "I'm stable now!" but rather a slow realization. It's like when you have a bad headache and take a pain reliever, sometimes you don't realize the exact moment the pain subsides. Instead at some point you look back and say "wow, my headache is gone". It's like that. I looked back at the previous 9 mos, since my last major depression, and realized that I had been stable all that time.

Now, don't get me wrong, I still cycle (like now I"m in the throws of depression) but I"ve been stable long enough and enough times to know what it looks like. Now I just crave that stability FOREVER instead of in 1-2 year chunks.

You'll know when you get there. I don't know your diagnosis so it's hard to know what "normal" might be for you. Normal for me is a lack of symptoms. No anger. No highs. No depression. When you drop off all the bad stuff, what you're left with is normal.

Nicely said, I like it.

well, suddenly my emotions were not so RAW, not so strong. Much fewer episodes, and I was calmer. Still had my sense of humor but not so intense and emotional. Oh, the chatter in my head, the ruminating thoughts went away. I was shocked to have a calm brain.

Oh I cannot wait to feel the calmness. Sometimes the emotions are so hard to bear that I feel like I am going out of my mind. To not react to things so severely would be awesome.

I don't really know if there IS a normal...I think it's different for everyone. For me, it's definitely when I don't take three Ativans and curl up in a ball when I hear a sad song, or decide to scrub the bathroom floor with a toothbrush and rearrange the furniture because someone complimented me on my outfit or something. It's me taking every occurrence in my life at face value...not making mountains out of molehills, as they say. It has taken a lot of CBT and medication tweaks, but I think I'm pretty much there. Just like everyone else has said, you'll know :-)

When my mind is clearly thinking about one thing and I am not reacting to stuff on a purely emotional basis - that's a normal day for me.

They have only started in the last nfew months, so its kind of nice

I don't think I will ever achieve what used to be normal for me. Over the years, I have had several psychotic episodes, that have left me more and more on a lower level each time. Even my pdoc (who I think is great) says I may never make it back to my highest level of "normal", but somewhere below that will be my new normal. Since bipolar and the periodic psychotic episodes with remnant effects, I am so far from who I used to be. I feel ashamed and like a burden to my family, though they love me very much, doesn't change the feeling of being a burden. I honestly don't know what "normal" feels like any more.

• 2 weeks later...

Will I know when I get there?

Buggered if I'd know. I remember in the very first few years of school _every_ boy in the entire large school got involved in enmass game. Except one. Me.

Shortly after that I realised I wasn't normal and would _never_ know what normal was.

This has confirmed time and again by the subsequent decades.

Archived