CrazyBoards.org

OA

Hello All

Has anyone here been to an Overeaters Anonymous meeting?

I am seriously considering it but am very apprehensive.

Stories/experiences/what to expect info?

Thanks

I went to some meetings many years ago, when I felt that my compulsive eating was out of control. I liked that it wasn't diet-based, like Weight-Watchers, and there was no weighing in. I found the people very kind and supportive. They taught me a lot about the psychology of eating and it helped me to figure out why I was doing it.

It's certainly worth trying out. Do you have a friend you could ask along for moral support? I went by myself, but the group was very quick in welcoming me.

olga

I think if you are comfortable with an "A" type program where you follow the 12 steps (you can google them) then it is a good thing I have had patients do really well with it

myself and my own experience ..well I may have attended the wrong group and I have serious issues of control so for me by the time I left I was very depressed from the stories I heard ...I hear stories all day at work and then when I go to support groups it just wipes me out to hear more ..even coming here is hard for me a lot of the time and I feel badly that I can not contribute as much as I would like to ...I do not recieve my own needed support because of this avoidence when not working and that can be an issue..life is about give and take ..not take and take ..so there you have it so please do not use me as an "average" because most folks are very good at this and support groups work wonderfully if you can do it! ...and I knew I could not give control up to a higher power ..because I do not believe in one they tried to reassure that a "higher power" could be a door knob ..but really? a door knob? I could not fathom giving power to a door knob even figuratively ..and then the Serenity Prayer is praying to God and really I can not do that if I do not believe in God....but if you do and you can and you are in a place where you can give it a try there is nothing "wrong" with it and it is free!

I really wanted OA to work for me but I could not get beyond the God thing

I was pretty much an atheist 35 years ago, which is when I was attending. I know that they believe in the Higher Power thang, but at the time I was so desperate, I didn't care. Pray to whomever you feel comfortable with. I think now I'm a Pastafarian, worshipping His Noodley Goodness. heh

To me, the meetings were all about the "why" of eating. I needed to learn about that at the time, and I needed to be with people who understood compulsion.

olga

Thanks so much for your quick responses!

I guess I could replace god with goddess and be okay with the 12 steps!

there you go! That sounds perfect ..try it then! Nothing to loose that is for sure

all I can share is what you asked for..that being my own experience (and most of the time I wonder if I should even answer these posts because I do not want to discourage anyone and folks do very well in support groups..I completely flounder in them to be honest) and for me it was just too much overload ( I did go to more than one meeting I attended for about 4 months but was so depressed as a result I had to stop) ..Like I said for most folks it is a good thing and the support is wonderful

Like Olga, I went many years ago, and also am not religious, so just sort of glossed over the 'higher power'. I also never felt comfortable enough with anyone I met there to get a sponser. But I did learn a lot about complusive overeating and how to deal with it. The one thing that has stuck with me over the years is the acronym 'halt', which stands for not letting yourself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired, because those are all very common triggers.

I was made to feel very welcome and since I was living in large metro area at the time, I went to several different groups. They all felt different due to the makeup of the members, and there was one that was my favorite.

I liked that I wasn't forced to speak, it's all up to you to determine your level of participation. They pass the hat to cover the cost of the meeting space, but otherwise it's free, so bring a few bucks with you if you normally travel without cash (which seems to becoming more and more prevalant these days).

I still overeat, but OA definitely helped me get better and pay attention to what's going on and the reasons I binge. I would try it if I were you, you don't have anything to lose except an hour of your time.

This is on topic, kinda not so whatever...

I went through a long trauma assessment program the last couple of weeks.

I always bought the idea that binge eating is about self comfort.

Seems for me it is the opposite - it is about self harm and causing myself pain.

I remember the first time I binged. I was seven, my parents were fighting and I took a whole box of cookies and ate them. I felt sick and my stomach hurt - not so comforting in other words. And bad enough that I remember every detail 30 years later.

An intersting idea, I thought.

Laume, the self-harm is an interesting concept. I wonder if it's on the same spectrum as other self-harm, which I know nothing about, by the way, so don't mind me. But clearly I think they are all functions of self-medicating and trying to correct some (as yet unknown) chemical imbalance in the brain. There have been recent studies that show that binge eaters activate the same brain receptors as cocaine users, which I am sure is true in my case. It has nothing to do with physical hunger, that's for sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Update on this since I did start the topic and seem to lose track of my own threads sometimes...duh

Skipped the OA thing - support groups have not typically been my thing.

Started working with a personal trainer instead and (hurrah) finally got a referral to a provincial health plan covered nutrition/diet doctor/endocrinologist.

Taking a more active role is what I think works better for me, so will see how this goes

editted - my laptop keyboard sucks and I keep making typos

Archived