CrazyBoards.org

Links for AAP effect on carb burning?

I have just spent several hours on the site trying to find the articles that describe how AAPs affect the metabolism, especially burning fats and proteins instead of carbs. Can anyone point me to the links? Sorry if they're somewhere obvious... I am really struggling with my very low carb diet, despite having lost 16 lbs, and need some inspiration! Tired of feeling guilty about having too much spinach on my plate. Will also be grateful for any advice on making low-carb dieting work. Thanks!

Unfortunately, no one really has a great understanding of how exactly AAP's cause weight gain.

This.

But also want to say that I have ready a study or article or two on AAPs causing fat burning over carb burning. I don't recall if it was just theory or that they had something meaningful to back it up. FWIW.

To say no one has a really great great understanding of how they cause weight gain is something of a cop-out. There's enough information out there to form a fairly solid working theory, as solid a theory as we have about how psych meds do anything else that they do.

Ehhh... I'd have to dispute that. Most of the research I've come across explains the weight gain in terms of H1 antagonism, which I personally reject on the basis that none of the OTC antihistamines are associated with weight gain. TLP himself says that he only came across the studies he was writing about while he was researching something completely different. Even those only describe what happens - not how or why it happens.

Unfortunately, no one really has a great understanding of how exactly AAP's cause weight gain.

This.

But also want to say that I have ready a study or article or two on AAPs causing fat burning over carb burning. I don't recall if it was just theory or that they had something meaningful to back it up. FWIW.

FYI, the Last Psychiatrist link above (VE's "Here's a pretty good write up" link) is what I read.

This.

FYI, the Last Psychiatrist link above (VE's "Here's a pretty good write up" link) is what I read.

Thanks everyone; this is very useful!

Here's a pretty good writeup.

To say no one has a really great great understanding of how they cause weight gain is something of a cop-out. There's enough information out there to form a fairly solid working theory, as solid a theory as we have about how psych meds do anything else that they do.

No, not really. That article describes what happens, but says nothing at all about how it happens.

Archived