CrazyBoards.org

Cymbalta is making things worse.

Over the last 15 years, I have tried pretty much every antidepressant and mood stabilizer. (I have a list, if you'd like to see.) I ended up staying on Prozac for the last couple years, because it seemed to help a tiny bit and had the least amount of side effects. Recently, I decided that I was tired of still being super depressed, so I talked to my doctor. We decided to try Cymbalta - I did take it once before, but it was when I was 16 or so and I don't remember the effects. He put me on 30mg for two weeks, and now I've been taking 60mg for a week. The problem is, most of my symptoms have gotten worse, and I've even gotten new ones. (Lucky me!) I'm wondering if I should give it a few more weeks and see what happens, or go ahead and call the doctor. The reason I don't just call him immediately is that I REALLY want this med to work, and I'm afraid he will just X it out and never look back. Any thoughts or experiences?

Here are my symptoms that have gotten worse:

Hopelessness (everything is futile), excessive sleeping (I slept for 48 hours straight with only bathroom breaks), intrusive thoughts, anxiety in public, obsessive thoughts about death or suicide (no intent, don't worry. i've had these thoughts constantly for years.), numb/flat, fatigue, no motivation or creativity.

New symptoms:

no short term memory (my memory has always been bad, but this is ridiculous), physically exhausted, no sex drive, extreme gruesome nightmares.

Thanks for any input, I really appreciate it.

Id ask your doc about moving onto another medication if you either flunk it after 6 weeks or just cant cope with the side effects. Thats usually the drill with these drugs it seems.

I didnt do well on prozac when I tried it. I had a lot of physical anxiety and a lot of nasty irritability on it. My doc offered me cymbalta when I had issues with body pain but I refused it due to worries about paying for a name brand drug if my health insurance lapsed, and worry over discontinuing it later on. Some people have difficulty with the SNRIs. Im probably just being a scaredy-cat about that..

Hope you feel better soon, thats no fun =(

I think when in doubt, you should always call your doctor. There's really no downside to calling, but if you just kind of wait and see, there's a very real possibility that things could get worse, and it will just be that much harder to get to stability.

Are you currently titrating up on lamictal?

Are you working with a pdoc, or with a gp?

I agree with everyone elso - talk to your pdoc.

Cymbalta was the med from hell for me. I'd take it, and about an hour later I'd feel horrible. I took it in a split dosage so I got an hour of hell twice per day. I was taking Cymbalta when I almost succeeded in a suicide attempt. I don't blame Cymbalta for causing me to attempt suicide because I was going through some heavy stuff in my life at the time, but it sure didn't stop it.

While I was taking Cymbalta I slept all the time, I put on 40 lbs, I was suicidal and even attempted suicide twice while on Cymbalta, which only prompted the Dr to up my dose, my stomache looked like I was pregnant (seriously)....Then I went off of it on my own and on the 6th day all hell broke loose...it was worse than a heroin addiction...I had severely debilitating brain zaps, I lost alot of weight almost immediately, I was drained, couldn't focus my eyes or my thoughts, I literally had to crawl from the couch to my bathroom to vomit...Someone suggested I was addicted to the medication so I took one pill and within 30 mins all symptoms were 99% gone. I researched it online and found tons of others who went through hell as well getting off of it...it took me over 4 months to come off of it very very very slowly. It is the most dangerous drug on the market and Eli Lilly should pull it off the market. I would not even look at another Cymbalta pill ever again, no matter what, ever! I am finally back to my normal weight and am alert and energetic again. This horrible drug robbed me of 2 years of my life! I would tell anyone who asks about it, DO NOT TAKE CYMBALTA. The "brain zaps" still occur once in a while and its been more than 6 months since I was totally off of it! Research, research, research...There are hundreds, if not thousands, of others who went through the same hell I went through. Trigger.gifTrigger.gifTrigger.gifTrigger.gifTrigger.gif

[Cymbalta] is the most dangerous drug on the market and Eli Lilly should pull it off the market.

Oh, that's nothing. Tylenol and caffeine pills can actually kill you if you don't use them right.

The antidepressant withdrawal syndromes are well known, and yes, they can suck horribly. That doesn't mean they're bad meds. They've been lifesavers for countless numbers of people, including a few people in this thread.

Some people have no problems with those side effects or the discontinuation. But some folks seems to really suffer badly with them. I wish someone would research why this happens, but I bet its really complex =(

A lot of people are helped by cymbalta, I work with someone who is on it for PTSD and depression and shes doing really well besides weight gain.

I agree some people suffer really badly with it, but I dont think it should be pulled for that. I just wish there was more information from docs about these possible effects. My doc said nothing about any of that. If I didnt already know about its patent status and its reputation for discontinuation effects Id probably have taken it too.

I would like to add that the majority of peoples stories I have read say that on the 6th day when quitting Cymbalta all heck breaks loose, that was true in my case as well. The 6th day of quitting was the start of a roller-coaster of horrific withdrawals. I would just urge people to weight the risks. I did check with my doctor and several other doctors and even my Psychiatrist, they all denied any such problems with Cymbalta! Ridiculous, I am lucky to be alive!

Also, I have been on lots of other antidepressants and had some withdrawals so I am aware of what "normal" withdrawals feel like....this was certainly NOT normal...It caused me unbelievable suffering for months.

I have actually experienced withdrawal from prescription painkillers and I have also tried quitting my Paxil. Let me tell you, Paxil withdrawal doesn't hold a candle to painkiller withdrawal. I would take Paxil withdrawal any day. I admit that I've felt really dizzy from SSRI withdrawal, but with antidepressants, it is extremely easy to do a slow taper and thus avoid the worst withdrawals. With painkillers, tapering usually fails, because the temptation to take too many is too great. So don't tell a recovering drug addict about your antidepressant withdrawals or you will get laughed at.

The SNRIs do have some analgesic qualities. In part it is a little like going off of pain killers.

I think effexor actually resembles an opioid, chemically.. Forget where I found that so take it with a grain of salt.

My doc said absolutely nothing about any of stuff listed above. And she just about ridiculed me for suggesting there was anything wrong with taking it. Shes partially right.. theres no telling if I would be one of the unlucky ones or not. So I opted not to take the risk since I can barely function at work as it is =(

• SNRI withdrawals are, generally speaking, worse than SSRI withdrawals. Psychiatrists know this. That's why they usually reserve SNRIs until a patient has failed a few SSRIs.
  • Not everybody has problems withdrawing from antidepressants. Painkiller withdrawals are pretty damn predictable.
  • Nobody really has any idea how many people have been saved from suicide by antidepressants, including Cymbalta.
  • The fact that you registered on a pro-treatment message board specifically to attack a single medication is pretty lame. The fact that you keep coming back here to continue your lame attack is even lamer.

I am all too familiar with pain killer withdrawals and they don't hold a candle to Cymbalta withdrawals! That is a fact! Paxil withdrawals and pain killer med withdrawals are like a prick in the arm compared with getting your arm ripped off like with Cymbalta withdrawals! Truth

No shit. You deserve what you get when you go cold turkey off an AD without coordinating with your doctor. None of what you say is a surprise, other than the falsehoods. ;)

**To the original poster. Normally I encourage people to try and stick it out with new meds for weeks. I think are really "fair trial" should be 2-3 months. However it sounds like you really fell down the well. I think you need to see your pdoc in person and discuss the concerns/dangers of staying on Cymbalta a bit longer vs. changing to recover from this fall.

Honestly, I love Cymbalta. it helped break me out the the long running depression, controls the intrusive/obsessive thoughts, lowers my anxiety and relieved a lot of physical pain. "Depression hurts, Cymbalta helps!" I'm a walking commercial for them. :)

a.m.

The SNRIs do have some analgesic qualities. In part it is a little like going off of pain killers.

I think effexor actually resembles an opioid, chemically.. Forget where I found that so take it with a grain of salt.

My doc said absolutely nothing about any of stuff listed above. And she just about ridiculed me for suggesting there was anything wrong with taking it. Shes partially right.. theres no telling if I would be one of the unlucky ones or not. So I opted not to take the risk since I can barely function at work as it is =(

No, I don't think effexor resembles an opioid chemically in the slightest. Please check info. before posting. It's not my job to look for sources backing up your info.

There is no such thing as an "Evil drug". They are tools, no different from a hammer or pliers. One drug works for one person but not another. Thousands of biologists, chemists and doctors have worked hard to give us the best and safest meds they know how.

I'm another Cymbalta fan. It was the first AD that worked for me, and it also had an effect on my ordinary aches and pains. I also liked the urinary hesitancy thing---it was great to be able to sneeze or cough without....erm.....having a wee accident. (Hope that isn't TMI)

It pooped out on me after about 9 or 10 months, and my doctor had me taper off it. I had insignificant side effects with that and continued to function normally throughout the taper. Nothing I experienced could be described as a withdrawal symptom. A few minor weird feelings that didn't last long, that's all.

I think it's a valuable drug to a lot of people. For all of us here, there are risks and side effects with most of the meds we take. It's up to us to work with our doctors and weigh those risks against the beneficial effects of these medicines.

olga

Archived