CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone,

What meds are helpful for ADD besides stimulants and Strattera? Sorry I have to put my question here, but if I knew what med category to place it in, I'd probably have my answer.

Neither one of those did anything for my ADD symptoms. Just shows how individual response can be =(

I also wonder whether the valid ADD symptoms I have are fallout from other things like anxiety, busy thoughts or depression. Takes a good doc to sort it out.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. It's just that I would like to get off the Ritalin because it keeps me going back to the pdoc every month for a prescription. When I get stable, I'd like to see my pdoc every three months or so like I did with my old pdoc.

If what you're currently taking is working well, it's not the best idea ever to switch. Have you discussed this with your pdoc? If you're otherwise stable, maybe your pdoc would mail the script to you, or maybe you could just drop by the office to pick it up, without having an appointment. I'm also wondering if you've discussed your appointments every three months idea with him/her? Some pdocs aren't so into seeing their patients that infrequently.

FWIW, I don't think straterra is a controlled substance, so you shouldn't have to see your pdoc to get refills of it.

If what you're currently taking is working well, it's not the best idea ever to switch. Have you discussed this with your pdoc? If you're otherwise stable, maybe your pdoc would mail the script to you, or maybe you could just drop by the office to pick it up, without having an appointment. I'm also wondering if you've discussed your appointments every three months idea with him/her? Some pdocs aren't so into seeing their patients that infrequently.

FWIW, I don't think straterra is a controlled substance, so you shouldn't have to see your pdoc to get refills of it.

I haven't discussed anything with my pdoc as of yet because I'm just playing with ideas. I do want to see my pdoc less frequently once I get stable as I did my old pdoc. With my old pdoc, once I got stable, I saw him every three or six months, and more frequently if I needed to see him. I simply can't afford to see this pdoc every single month. If this can't be worked out, then I will have to go without meds and do the best I can. Anyway, I'm far from happy about this pdoc and am looking for a new one ASAP. I don't like any doctor who thinks he is a god when they are just skilled employees (or contractors) in my employ.

Generally speaking, I don't like taking a controlled substance because 1.) it can be addictive, 2.) As I mentioned, I am tethered to my pdoc in some way every day for the rest of my life possibly. Plus, I not at all sure that the Ritalin is "working well." Far from it, the 10 mg I take every day just doesn't cut it.

As for Strattera, the reason I don't want to take it is because I took it in the past without success. It left me very irratible and did work on me. Also, there is no generic for Strattera as of yet.

I recommend increasing your Wellbutrin. You can take up to 450mg per day. That probably stands the best chance of helping you discontinue C-II stimulants.

Edit:

I also take WB and Remeron, and there seemed to be some additive stimulation when I took both at higher doses. So, you may need to decrease your Remeron to successfully increase WB.

10 mg Ritalin is about the starting dose for a six year old.

My pdoc gives out 3 months worth of post-dated dexidrine prescriptions once every three months but that may not be legal in your state. I'd not keep going back for 10mgs methylphenidate though.

I was really productive on those 21mg nicotine patches. I'm not a smoker, however.

How much does wellbutrin really work on dopamine?

The mechanism of Wellbutrin is a little mysterious. I have read that the parent drug acts primarily on dopamine, but the active metabolite acts mostly on norepinephrine. Subjectively, it feels like a mild stimulant.

I was really productive on those 21mg nicotine patches. I'm not a smoker, however.

The mechanism of Wellbutrin is a little mysterious. I have read that the parent drug acts primarily on dopamine, but the active metabolite acts mostly on norepinephrine. Subjectively, it feels like a mild stimulant.

Thanks, MorningDew for your suggestions. Well, I don't know what to think about Wellbutrin. To tell the truth, I don't think it does much for me. This has been about the third time I've been on it, and I'm no happier with it now than I was before. It certainly doesn't feel like a mild stimulant to me. In fact, during the first couple of days, it made me sleepy and irratible.

I'd try upping the dose to see how it interacts with the Remeron, but I've been on the highest dose once before, and it caused me some really nasty side effects.

I believe that Wellbutrin affects mostly NE with some weak action on dopamine. I may be wrong. But a few years ago, they were saying that it primarily acted on dopamine so who knows.

EDIT: for grammar

10 mg Ritalin is about the starting dose for a six year old.

My pdoc gives out 3 months worth of post-dated dexidrine prescriptions once every three months but that may not be legal in your state. I'd not keep going back for 10mgs methylphenidate though.

I'd say that you are lucky. Keep that pdoc! My pdoc started me out on 5 mg and then upped it to 10 when I asked to increase the dose. If I ask him to increase it again, I'm sure that he will up it to 15 mg. I wanted to see if RItalin would help me at all so I took a higher dose to see what would happen. It turns out that I need 20-30 mg for it to have any real meaning. I have fewer pills now, but it's not like I'm going to miss 10 mg of Ritalin.

My pdoc is extremely conservative with medications and is living back in the 70s. I was fortunate before because I had a pdoc who agressively treated me with meds. He is the one responsible for my current cocktail, not my current pdoc.

I believe that Wellbutrin affects mostly NE with some weak action on dopamine. I may be wrong. But a few years ago, they were saying that it primarily acted on dopamine so who knows.

The last time I looked through the studies, the results indicated that bupropion and its metabolites work primarily through NE reuptake inhibition. There's some DAT binding, and many internet sites have jumped all over that, but it's just not that important to how the med works. So, yes, I think that you are correct.

If Ritalin isn't working out, it might be worthwhile to consider switching from methylphenidate to amphetamine, because some people do react better to one than the other. After that, maybe one of the BP meds that are approved for ADHD. Because of liver enzyme interactions, trying desipramine would likely require a wash-out period from the Wellbutrin, and there's no guarantee it will work better overall.

Seriously? Have you actually taken it? Because I have, and I've felt nothing of the sort.

The last time I looked through the studies, the results indicated that bupropion and its metabolites work primarily through NE reuptake inhibition. There's some DAT binding, and many internet sites have jumped all over that, but it's just not that important to how the med works. So, yes, I think that you are correct.

If Ritalin isn't working out, it might be worthwhile to consider switching from methylphenidate to amphetamine, because some people do react better to one than the other. After that, maybe one of the BP meds that are approved for ADHD. Because of liver enzyme interactions, trying desipramine would likely require a wash-out period from the Wellbutrin, and there's no guarantee it will work better overall.

Everything I've ever seen, and I just did another quick search, suggests that wellbutrin is a much more potent inhibitor or dopamine reuptake.

That's interesting. From my experience the addition of L-Dopa (Mucuna Pruriens) greatly helps with Wellbutrin withdrawals when the medication is stopped suddenly. I would think this would mean that the DAT binding is significant, even if secondary to the NE reuptake inhibition.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that my ADD medication works a lot better if I'm well rested. To the point where I almost might want to take a little less! Exercise helps too, both with sleeping better and with having a bit more mental energy and perhaps a little more focus. If you are not sleeping well, you should definitely do some work on that.

I know the amphetamines don't work so well if you have stuff like OJ or cola at the same time (i.e stuff that makes your stomach acidic). Is Ritalin the same way?

Archived