CrazyBoards.org

Kinda annoyed and worried

I was put on Lithium, Tegretol, Pristiq, Vistaril, and Wellbutrin when I was put in the hospital about 2 months ago. I'm a guinea pig, I know. The first week there was a change, but after that I went back to my "old ways." After a lot of testing with a new pdoc, she realized that I had always been put on things that lowered my dopamine when I needed to raise it. She's in the process of taking me off my Pristiq, she says she will discuss my Wellbutrin next month (it seems as though they are ineffective) but what I am worried about is the Lithium. You see, I have no energy to get out of bed, to shower, to read, to have fun, hardly to use the bathroom sometimes. I'm tired of not finding pleasure in things. I can't turn my thoughts off. I can't concentrate. She decided to put me on 30 mg of Adderall a day. The problem is, I researched it and found that Lithium can cancel out some of the effects of it. Does that mean just the dopamine increasing part, or the stimulant (are they the same?) or both? I CAN'T live like this anymore. Also the "wrong" meds they have given me have made me gain weight and it would be really nice to have the stimulant work so I can lose weight and have energy to work out. When I got a blood test my Lithium levels were like 0.4 so hardly anything...will that mean it won't hurt the Adderall that much? I AM FED UP. I feel I'm never gonna be happy, and that the pdoc doesn't even care about drug interactions. Anyone on this combo? Any good results, in energy, concentration, improved pleasure, weight loss?

Edit: After taking it for the first time today, I am EXHAUSTED. When I was on Vyvanse before (when it was JUST celexa as well) I was hyper and productive. Now I can't keep my eyes open. Wtf...

A bit too out of it from my meds to really address this. Just want to mention that, for alot of people, one group of ADD meds will work while the other doesn't. So, if the Adderall continues to not work after/if your pdoc works with your other meds, you may want to consider trying one in the Ritalin family instead as it may work better.

Lithium is supposedly really good at helping with suicidal ideation. It has some AD effects too.

Wellbutrin poops out on a lot of people after awhile. Im on like my 5th trial of the stuff and of course its doing nothing except making me anxious. I seem to do better with NRIs anyhow. But that may be a part of a suspicion my doc has, that I have some sleep disorder. NRIs typically make it easier to breathe through your nose.

methylphenidate might be better in the DRI department than wellbutrin. Adderall will release dopamine but youll probably get used to any AD effect it has in no time.. tolerance for that effect seems to build quickly.

Lithium might knock out any mood lift you get from adderall, but it probably wont affect its properties on calming your ADHD down. I might be wrong, no expert on that here.

Youve exhausted a lot of options already.. might be time to look into other TCAs and even MAOIs. Has your doc mentioned those yet? If youre looking for a dopamine boost, emsam / selegiline might be worth a shot. Your doc would be the expert on that though.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the quick replies. I'm sorry, I'm just mad. If I can feel happier and more interested in life then I don't even care about the weight loss and energy, but it'd really be nice. I am so tired now, but I don't know if that's how Adderall would affect me anyway or if it's the combination of that with Lithium. Like I said, my Lithium levels are almost non-existent, so maybe that doesn't even matter. But suddenly I feel like sobbing and I never do and I took the Adderall 2 hours ago and that's the only change. However, it doesn't help that she's taking me off Pristiq cold turkey AND I quit smoking 6 days ago. I'm a wreck. I wanna quit my Lithium cold turkey. Is that dangerous if I'm not bipolar? I'm not manic or anything.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the quick replies. I'm sorry, I'm just mad. If I can feel happier and more interested in life then I don't even care about the weight loss and energy, but it'd really be nice. I am so tired now, but I don't know if that's how Adderall would affect me anyway or if it's the combination of that with Lithium. Like I said, my Lithium levels are almost non-existent, so maybe that doesn't even matter. But suddenly I feel like sobbing and I never do and I took the Adderall 2 hours ago and that's the only change. However, it doesn't help that she's taking me off Pristiq cold turkey AND I quit smoking 6 days ago. I'm a wreck. I wanna quit my Lithium cold turkey. Is that dangerous if I'm not bipolar? I'm not manic or anything.

It's fine, it's normal to feel upset. It's up to your pdoc to determine if you should go off the Lithium, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal to go off of it like that. Quiting smoking can really mess with your mood too. Does the time this started occur close to that time? Lowering your Pristiq dose can cause irritability, insomnia, anxiety, and fatigue among other things. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the main cause of this. Talk to your pdoc and see what he/she thinks.

Here's something that happened that has made me wary (though when I tell you guys you'll probably think I'm being a bit paranoid and judgmental). First of all, the office I go to for both my counselor and psychiatrist is underground and doesn't look legit, although I'm sure it is. My therapist looks high the whole time, although she is nice. One time she told me she'd be right with me when I didn't even have an appointment. She then canceled on me and they couldn't see me for a whole month! The psychiatrist dresses strangely and waited 3 weeks for testing to even do anything while I'm sitting at home being suicidal and even once having an episode. I had to be strapped down in the ER, and when I told her about it she said, "That may be, but you need to focus on the present." Then she forgot to give me my script for my meds even though she wrote it down on a plan for me to take it. Then she didn't write the dose so they wouldn't fill it since it was Adderall and a controlled substance. So much extra work and extra stress. And yet I have heard from about 6 different people that she is amazing and has helped them all so much! So this is why I'm frustrated and don't trust her that much...it's like she has to earn my trust...but I'm holding out because I hear she will really help me (eventually). Also...she had me do that urine neurotransmitter test, which I have seen bashed constantly on this site. Made me depressed, to be honest. I had believed her. Then I hear it's quackery. God, I'm losing hope.

You have many of the same symptoms and same meds as me. I believe that I also need a dopamine boost because I suffer from anhedonia and lack of motivation. I took lithium, but not with any stimulant. I'm no expert, but I think that the lithium would just keep you from going manic from the Adderall if you had a tendency towards bipolar.

I can't answer about Adderall because I'm taking Ritalin which doesn't do anything for me that a cup of coffee wouldn't do. I took dexamphetamine a few years ago, but it taxed my dopamine system way too much and actually depleted me of dopamine after about 3 days.

I know exactly how you feel about not trusting your pdoc. I'm in the same boat, but I have decided to ditch mine. I just can't get up the motivation to find another one.

Anyway, I don't know about neurotransmitter tests, and whether they are legit or not, because this is the first time I've heard about it. Though I'm not sure what neurotransmitters in your urine would mean for your brain.

But if your pdoc has glowing recomendations from others, I'd stick with her. Just give it some time. If I were you, I wouldn't give up on the lithium just yet until you've been on a therapeutic level for a while. Maybe it's just the med for you.

How long have you been on meds, Laura? Why were you put on meds in the first place? (if you don't mind me asking).

It just seems to me like no one has a firm idea about what is going on with you. You've gone from BP I to BPD to Schizoaffective (I think?) to alcoholism to depression and ADHD (I think your sig said OCD at one point too). Why can't anyone agree? I'm not blaming you, I'm just a bit puzzled. I'd be scared and annoyed too in your case.

I recently went off all my meds (except Klonopin, I'm tapering on that one). Turns out, my Schizoaffective dx was most likely wrong. I've had no hallucinations since I stopped my antipsychotic two weeks ago. I think my "schizoaffective" was caused by my antidepressant. Once I stopped taking that, everything evened out.

Have you considered talking to a doctor about maybe discontinuing meds for a short amount of time? Just to see how your brain works without tons of chemicals affecting it? See what your problem naturally is (if there is a problem at all). I know that you've been suicidal, so I don't want you to do anything drastic, but maybe consider it? Meds made me depressed and suicidal. I'd hate to see you to continue taking them if you have the same problem as me.

Hi, of course no offense taken about all the different diagnoses...you're right, no one knows. What it seems like (to me) is that I was on a dose of Vyvanse that was malpractice (140 mg every day). The max dose is 70 mg, and I was on the huge one for about 7 months. It made me psychotic. They called me Bipolar, then Schizoaffective during that time. When the psychosis lessened, I got horrible depression because of antipsychotics. I think the only ones I agree with are OCD, ADHD, and BPD (although BPD and ADHD can be similar). Whenever they'd do mental and personality tests on me, they'd either be inconclusive or BPD. I've always been fearful and OCD, I've always had addiction problems, although now I feel that is only symptoms of my depression. So yeah, I am scared and irritated with these people. I've seen 9 people in 3 years, and have been on all the meds in my signature in just those 3 years, since I was about 18 or 19. I'm fed up. At least with this urine test, I feel like I have an answer. And to be honest, at this point, when I've basically given up hope, I almost don't care if it's not real...

PS, jt07, I'm sorry you struggle with the same things as me...like the loss of pleasure. It sucks. You could try out the test I got done if you could find out how to...it may really do something for you. I may take your advice and stay on my stuff, but my med time is in an hour and so much of me does not want to take that Lithium anymore...

Koali, I'm honestly not clear as to exactly what you're asking here, but I am VERY concerned that your pdoc has you stopping pristiq cold turkey. While you've got that going on, it's just about impossible to figure out what else might or might not be happening with your meds.

How long have you been on meds, Laura? Why were you put on meds in the first place? (if you don't mind me asking).

It just seems to me like no one has a firm idea about what is going on with you. You've gone from BP I to BPD to Schizoaffective (I think?) to alcoholism to depression and ADHD (I think your sig said OCD at one point too). Why can't anyone agree? I'm not blaming you, I'm just a bit puzzled. I'd be scared and annoyed too in your case.

I recently went off all my meds (except Klonopin, I'm tapering on that one). Turns out, my Schizoaffective dx was most likely wrong. I've had no hallucinations since I stopped my antipsychotic two weeks ago. I think my "schizoaffective" was caused by my antidepressant. Once I stopped taking that, everything evened out.

Have you considered talking to a doctor about maybe discontinuing meds for a short amount of time? Just to see how your brain works without tons of chemicals affecting it? See what your problem naturally is (if there is a problem at all). I know that you've been suicidal, so I don't want you to do anything drastic, but maybe consider it? Meds made me depressed and suicidal. I'd hate to see you to continue taking them if you have the same problem as me.

Advising someone who's already unstable to discontinue all of her meds is extremely irresponsible.

Its really easy to get misdiagnosed.. and once youre on an antipsychotic a doc may not want to take you off of it. I have a friend with PTSD who had an episode of psychotic depression and the psychosis followed the mood state. She was put on an AP and the doc didnt want her to go off of it after the depression (and then the psychosis) resolved.

AAPs are used for depression often but I wouldnt want to take one for that. If you want a serotonin antagonist or a mood stabilizer there are other ways to get that without blocking dopamine and risking another set of possible side effects. Theyre serious medications, thats for sure

Id also go really slowly (with your doc to keep an eye on mood trends over time) in regards to dropping any medications. I did that once to make sure I really needed them and my depression got worse than it was before. Sometimes these illnesses can progress if not medicated. Not to mention the risk of suicide, etc. if you drop something thats really supporting you.

Alienonite, no, don't worry. I was going to reply to her that although if I were a stranger to you it would be very dangerous for you to do that, I've had personal messages with you so we know each other's backgrounds a bit, and I don't think you would personally try to hurt me. So I agree with her, but also in this case I am not mad at you and I don't think you did the wrong thing. Besides, you said ask the doc about going off anyway. Don't feel bad :) And I hope my explanation about my diagnoses helped? lol

SashaSue, I know, I feel like hell today after not taking Pristiq. Emotionally I'm fine, but my headache is so bad it actually feels like there are people hitting each side of my head with hammers. My body aches like I worked out too, and I didn't. So this morning I took a Pristiq, and I'm just going to take one every other day. Because I'm meeting a friend in the city tonight and I really don't want to feel like I'm dying while I'm there. She's someone I met in the hospital so she'd understand, but I'd rather feel better.

And yeah, I know I could get suicidal if I quit Lithium...ahh...I'm discouraged.

Alienonite, no, don't worry. I was going to reply to her that although if I were a stranger to you it would be very dangerous for you to do that, I've had personal messages with you so we know each other's backgrounds a bit, and I don't think you would personally try to hurt me. So I agree with her, but also in this case I am not mad at you and I don't think you did the wrong thing. Besides, you said ask the doc about going off anyway. Don't feel bad :) And I hope my explanation about my diagnoses helped? lol

SashaSue, I know, I feel like hell today after not taking Pristiq. Emotionally I'm fine, but my headache is so bad it actually feels like there are people hitting each side of my head with hammers. My body aches like I worked out too, and I didn't. So this morning I took a Pristiq, and I'm just going to take one every other day. Because I'm meeting a friend in the city tonight and I really don't want to feel like I'm dying while I'm there. She's someone I met in the hospital so she'd understand, but I'd rather feel better.

And yeah, I know I could get suicidal if I quit Lithium...ahh...I'm discouraged.

Justnto be clear, it didn't for a second occur to me that Alienonite had any bad intentions, or was in any way trying to hurt you. I was just concerned that she was making a suggestion without realizing the negative consequences it might have.

Oh SS don't worry, I didn't think you were accusing her of trying to hurt me, I just wanted to clarify I wasn't angry with her. Plus she sometimes gets paranoia about hurting people so I didn't want her to think I was assuming she was trying.

Alien, seriously, don't apologize. You weren't like, "Get off your meds or you're stupid!" lol you were telling me what worked for you. Some of my meds I don't mind (like Wellbutrin and Vistaril...I LOVE Vistaril). And I don't think Tegretol does a thing so I don't even think about it. I'm more alert today because of the Adderall so I guess I'm getting over the sleepiness already...this is day 3.

Archived