CrazyBoards.org

I tried searching on the Internet for this and only got sites that were too intelligent for me...and on here, there was too much to look through. But is Lithium a dopamine antagonist? It's an anti-manic, so should I assume yes? It's just that when I was put on it, I asked the doctor, and he looked confused, so I rephrased and asked, "Will this make me lose interest in life like on antipsychotics?" He assured me no, and I HAVEN'T lost all interest like I did on Geodon and Risperdal, but definitely a little. Plus on that crazymed thing it said it's an antipsychotic. I'm slower on it for sure, and have memory loss. My dopamine (when tested, although many people here don't agree with neurotransmitter tests because they're near impossible in some ways) is very low. Could it be the Lithium?

PS: Tegretol as well...?

Please no one flame me...I can't take it today, and I already read the opinions in other boards. BUT, to answer your question, I did a fasting urine test that supposedly measured my levels. I mean it FEELS legit you know, anything I was deficient in I felt I was deficient in, and anything I felt like I had too much of, I did. And it isn't like they did a screening of me and changed my results to match what I said. I would LIKE to think it was real. Other people here may give you their opinions. I don't know, I think it's worth a try for you. It's by NeuroScience.

Please no one flame me...I can't take it today, and I already read the opinions in other boards. BUT, to answer your question, I did a fasting urine test that supposedly measured my levels. I mean it FEELS legit you know, anything I was deficient in I felt I was deficient in, and anything I felt like I had too much of, I did. And it isn't like they did a screening of me and changed my results to match what I said. I would LIKE to think it was real. Other people here may give you their opinions. I don't know, I think it's worth a try for you. It's by NeuroScience.

I would never flame you. I mean, it's the first time I've ever heard of it. I will look into it, but I don't think I'll talk about it with my present pdoc because he is so old fashioned that it isn't funny. He wanted to put me on a tricyclic plus lithium - a tricyclic, like what, it's the 70s? As for tricyclics, been there done that.

Lithium might be a good idea for you because many people swear by it. And I think alienonite is correct about its mechanism of action. I wouldn't worry too much about the lithium if I were you.

Lithium is not a dopamine antagonist, and AFAIK does not affect dopamine production. Its exact mechanism of action has been elusive, but it may disrupt neural activity by imitating sodium.

Common neurotransmitter tests quantify metabolites and active substance in either blood plasma or urine. Neither test has much scientific validity, because blood levels haven't been shown to reflect brain levels. Cerebrospinal fluid can be drawn for testing, but CSF tests are also of questionable validity. Even if they gave an accurate picture of neurotransmitter turnover, I wouldn't call it diagnostically valid, since the term "low dopamine" is pretty meaningless. One can do "more with less" by having less frequent but stronger releases, and this would likely show up on a test as low concentration.

The only accurate way to measure neurotransmitter turnover in the living brain is by implanting a probe. Not practical.

Archived