CrazyBoards.org

what is a good drug for constipation?

what is a good drug for constipation?.

I've tried magnesium hydroxide, mirapex, and i've also tried eating better, and i've heard of colace. But i want one that isn't going to be dehydrating. any ideas?

I've also heard of just supplementing with magnesium and i've ordered some magnesium chloride online to do such.

Lots of water, and movement, too. Walk around a bit every day, it helps. A handful of nuts every day is also good.

When all else fails, I like the Metamucil in tablet form. I can't bear the stuff you mix and drink, but I can swallow the pills easily. A bottle of name brand is about $12, but you can get the Wal-Mart generic brand for about $5. Since it's just ground up psyllium husks, I can't see how there would be any difference, and I can't tell any difference, except in my wallet. Also, since it's just psyllium, it's natural and you can't do any damage to your digestive system with it. Some of the drug laxatives can mess you up if you take them regularly.

There are a lot of different laxatives. If you are chronically constipated, and you are looking for something you can take every day, you should go for something gentle. Fiber laxatives like psyllium are very safe. So is docusate (Colace). Also make sure you are not dehydrated, as others have pointed out.

Overusing stronger laxatives can cause dependence. Here are some:

Saline -- milk of magnesia, magnesium citrate

Stimulant -- bisacodyl (oral or as suppositories), senna

Glycerin suppositories

Enemas -- Fleets, mineral oil

That's all that comes to mind, but I'm sure I missed some.

yah, ive used milk of magnesia but made sure to limit it to once or twice a week at night. but i like to stay away from that stuff as it makes me runny during the day, not a good thing. I'm going to look into both benefiber, and metamucil(psyllium husks, which both seem like reasonable choices) but even though something is natural psyllium. doesn't mean it isn't harmful, i'm sure you know that, i just hope it's gentle and not a stimulant type effect.

Two years ago a survey article was published in the New England Journal of Medicine on laxative use by three doctors: an American, Spaniard and Japanese.

They reviewed the medical literature on laxative use and found no statistically significant studies that supported the common wisdom that laxatives are habit forming and cause GI problems. Their conclusion was rather the opposite: people who have GI problems are the ones that need to use laxCatives.

My recommendations:

Water

A few ounces of prune juice

3/4 Cup of raisin bran

Exercise (for those gut muscles to make peristalsis work)

a.m. :)

Two years ago a survey article was published in the New England Journal of Medicine on laxative use by three doctors: an American, Spaniard and Japanese.

They reviewed the medical literature on laxative use and found no statistically significant studies that supported the common wisdom that laxatives are habit forming and cause GI problems. Their conclusion was rather the opposite: people who have GI problems are the ones that need to use laxCatives.

I had not heard that. I was just repeating the dogma that I'd been taught.

• 2 weeks later...

What is a Good Drug For Constipation? Amitrip, Nortrip, Effexor all gave me Really Really Good Constipation.

Very very Good For Constipation.

Totally Full of Shit.

Still am as you can tell.

Oh well, nothing like getting a hellacious Migraine once or twice a week to purge it all out.

I would try prunes first.

You don't want to over due that though. Just saying.

If you don't like the actual prune, you could try the juice.

The actual fruit, is more like a big rasin to me, the juice I couldn't take. But some people like it better.

Then I'd try something like the psyllium / benefiber

then mirilax

If that doesn't help I would see a doctor.

Yogurt with active cultures.

Bran cereal like All Bran or Fiber One.

Prunes, stewed in hot water til they plump up.

I actually enjoy eating all of these things. I eat yogurt every day. bran cereal every 2 or 3 days. Prunes whenever. I think it's important to eat these things on an ongoing basis if your meds are the reason for this issue.

Archived