CrazyBoards.org

Im wondering when people generally take their Lithium and how much it matters?

I have become convinced my issues now with sleeping are related to taking the Lithium at bedtime. I wake up half the night due to thirst and having to go to bathroom.

My psych has tried many sleep remedies. Nothing is helping. I just wonder if its a timing thing.

I take 1200mg every night just before bed.

Have you tried taking your Lithium at noon or in the morning? It does not make me sleepy. I think I take it in the evening just out of habit. The first doctor who put me on Lithium just said take it before bed. huh

I do the same as you, 1200 before bed, and like you, I get up to pee during the night. I also pee all day, and I am fairly sure that the lithium does make me sleepy. If I remember correctly I started out taking half in the morning and half at night, and was switched to taking the whole thing at night because I was too sleepy during the day.

• 3 months later...

I am taking 900mg of extended release. My Pdoc told me that it would be best to take half in the morning with breakfast and half in the evening with diner and then I take seroquel at bedtime. Everyone is different but this works well for me. I also take Zoloft at breakfast and at dinner and Anafranil before bed. Maybe taking the lithium in the evening could help a little. Keep us posted on whether or not you find a system that works :)

I take my 900mg at supper time for several reasons. First, taking it with a meal buffers the lithium and is easier on my stomach. It also tends to make me a bit drowsy which is good at this time, and not good for daytime dosing. Third, it tends to dehydrate me and this gives me time to drink water to catch up, which often is not possible during the day, or if taken at bedtime.

Although it is common for docs and pharmacists to recommend taking lithium at bedtime, there really is not right or wrong time. Most important is to be consistent with the timing.

a.m.

Archived