CrazyBoards.org

About cannabis and alcohol with meds.

Hi guys, I am a Bipolar NOS I think, well the doc said will not give me a full diagnostic until next month so whatever lol.

The point is with this medications from the signature that I am taking, I feel really good and self confident. I was able to drive really smooth, without thinking things from the past or stuff like that, that would mess up with my concentration.

But in the other hand I really have lost my libido. And even happy, I feel I have become a bit cold, kinda of emotionless. But I guess its the price to get rid of this damn disease.

Anyway, I would like to know what would be the effects of mixing alcohol with these meds or marijuana. Would I go into a state of coma or something like that? Would cut of the meds and I have to restart the whole treatment?

Thanks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You won't go into a coma, but it won't necessarily be pleasant like it would be without medication. If you're wanting to get high, your treatment isn't ideal.. It's better to talk about this with your pdoc and get onto a proper cocktail, because you sound depressed.

You aren't on a (typical) anti-manic or anti-depressive dose of Seroquel - in my experience, 50mg will only act as a sleeping pill, possibly reducing anxiety. 200mg is where I had a positive response for depression. I haven't taken Zetron, but there is room for an increase. Zoloft seems to be a bad idea for most people with BP. YMMV.

It's debatable (and has been debated) whether neuroleptics provide adequate neuroprotection for those with BP. Some say they prevent the condition from worsening and reduce the chance of relapse, whereas others say that the only proper protection comes from using a true mood stabilizer - lithium, valproate, carbamazepine, and lamotrigine. I'm probably forgetting some, but it is a grand idea to try one of these.

oh, for starters possible paranoia and possible psychosis

mixing weed, alcohol, with bipolar meds and a bipolar brain is dangerous

If I am understanding Zetron is Ondansetron

I have taken Ondansetron for extremem nausea and upset stomache after food poisening

It made me VERY numb and sedated.....I only took it for a week

I wonder why you are taking it?

Again, I am NOT a doctor, and i do not know why you are taking the Zetron

but if you just look at those two psych meds

50 mgs of Seroquel is a very low dose, and then you add the zoloft

this is not a lot of meds for bipolar

I would go to your next appt with a list of questions

you are not on one of the major mood stabilizers, such as depakote, lamictal, or lithium. plus there are others

You can have a good and happy life with Bipolar however it takes some effort to find the right meds, get some therapy, learn to understand your own illness. You can get your libido back. It takes some time and effort.

Also, since bipolar people have spent years with intense emotions it is an adjustment to be medicated and have calmer emotions.

no man, I am not depressed, I want to get high because of some style of music that I like (stoner rock... sounds a bit better drunk)

And yeah, I have trying almost every med out there. (depakote, lamictal, etc. They all would simply not work correctly)

This 3 meds are doing quite ok to me, and from what others docs have tell me, my disease is really weak. Its like a mix of cyclotimia and BP NOS.

Cheers.

I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that Zetron is a rebranding of Wellbutrin.

Don't worry about the disease being "weak" - it is progressive. You can start as cyclothymic, and turn into BP NOS, and then full-on BP II, and if you're lucky enough, BP I. Not necessarily in that order, even. Stress provokes chaos.

I guess anything is possible, but I have never heard of a fatal interaction involving cannabis. And when you say alcohol, what are you talking about? Is it occasional glass of wine or beer, or a frequent occurrence. Is the goal of your drinking to get really drunk? Are you going out bar-hopping with friends?

And you really need to talk to your p-doc. Some don't like you drinking anything, but my p-doc is fine with the amount I drink, which is about twice a month, and when I do, I have two drinks at most.

I am a medical cannabis user, so I am not against use. But if you are using while the p-doc is still assessing you, you have to fess up. Remember, what you say to your p-doc is confidential, so there is no legal danger in telling him or her. But I would think drinking and smoking pot at this point in your treatment is a very bad idea.

My p-doc knows that I use medical cannabis. While I don't know if it interferes with psychoative drugs, my p-doc knows I use it for my migraines. And while he hasn't said "two thumbs up!" about my usage, he understands that I am pretty desperate, and accepts that I am going to use it. I have always told all my p-docs about any illicit drug use. They need to know.

I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that Zetron is a rebranding of Wellbutrin.

Don't worry about the disease being "weak" - it is progressive. You can start as cyclothymic, and turn into BP NOS, and then full-on BP II, and if you're lucky enough, BP I. Not necessarily in that order, even. Stress provokes chaos.

and I thought I was pessimist lol

and yes, is the wellbutrin.

It depends. You need to talk to your p-doc. I pretty much answered your question about alcohol, which is basically: It depends. But it isn't a good idea when you are just beginning to stabilize.

It's unlikely that you'll go into a coma or suffer any dangerous physical reaction to mixing those meds with either one. Mixing SSRIs with alcohol makes me feel horrible later on, so I don't drink more than a tiny amount anymore. I can't say whether it would interact badly with your bipolar, I just don't know.

Hi,

When I was on seroquel, the higher the dosage, and the less I wanted to drink to the point of not even thinking about drinking.

I really think each individual is different when it comes to meds + drinking (or pot). Its likely you'll get a variety of responses.

BTW - drinking/getting high to listen to music??? I don't get it. This may be something to explore in therapy, as well.

db

at the beginning of my treatment i still smoked pot. music meant so many different things and inspired me to think outside the box.

it turned really bad for me. my mind would race too much, i would get anxiety attacks, and my muscles would get really stiff.

pot was no longer relaxing to me and i just had to give it up. i think i was hurting my chances of stability and it took longer to actually learn if the medications were making a difference. sleep was messed up too. i wasted a lot of recovery time.

The point is with this medications from the signature that I am taking, I feel really good and self confident. I was able to drive really smooth, without thinking things from the past or stuff like that, that would mess up with my concentration.

I think you answered your own question. Do not mess with the meds. There are so many people who have not been able to find the right combo that works for them. It can take years and years and years.

If this is working I would STRONGLY suggest you lay off the alcohol and pot. In some ways, yes, you would have to start all over again. Our body chemistry is very very sensitive. Both liquor and pot have after affects, physical and psychological. I am not against either one but for you, even if it is just because you asked the question, I would wait. There is some part of you that is worried about the effect. Just wait. Give yourself much more time on the meds before you mess your body up with other substances.

The thing is none of these meds is a cure all save all. Everyone of us who is dealing with a MI even with meds that are working still have episodes, still have to be in therapy, still have days that are horrific. When you start adding other substances to the mix it is much much harder to understand and deal with your crazy, whatever diagnosis you end up with.

A drink or two every so often isn't a big deal. You may find it to be rather unpleasant with the mix of meds you have. But eh, maybe not. Drinking daily or binge drinking, however, will fuck you up.

Why the draw to weed? (Besides music) Is there another thing you could do instead of smoking pot to make yourself feel good? Some things to think about. Part of recovery is finding new ways of coping, and those new ways of coping tend to not involve drugs and alcohol

I've never smoked weed before, but my parents smoked so much that they had a hydroponic growing closet. And my dad, the undiagnosed bipolar, tended to get really paranoid and anxious when he smoked.

From a personal standpoint, any time I consumed more than a couple of drinks, I tended to get a mood shift. So I just don't drink.

As others have said, booze interacts with mental meds and can skew your true mood. That is counterproductive when you are starting to find the right meds.

Archived