CrazyBoards.org

Short Term Memory loss?

Hi. I think this has to do with migraine, because I have had a headache for three days. But my short term memory is gone. I am going keep this short, because I am losing track of what I am writing. Sorry if this is incoherent.

Has anyone else experienced that?

I hope you are feeling better. I've never had a headache that resulted in STM loss. That sounds like a drug side effect or some sort of physical brain issue.

I'd give your dr a call and see what they say.

Bleah. I hate my neuro. I dug around a little last night, and it said that some people do experience short term memory loss during the actual migraine, but not permanently. Right now, I am still having the same migraine, but the very bad forgetfulness seems to be gone.

I am having a lot of new symptoms/prodromes/aura during this flurry. I do have speech issues, but this was crazy. I think I am going to record it in my headache diary.

Thanks gizmo!

It could be a factor from the migraines or it could be depression or some sort of seizure...I have all 3 and all 3 seem to cause STM. Hell I forget what I ate for dinner. I hope you feel better and considering I have a migraine right now I can say I sortta feel your pain. Take your meds, plenty of water and sleep if you wear glasses keep them on and eat. I have been doing all of the above, no relief yet, I hope you have relief soon, good luck!

BTW I LOVE YOUR AVATAR...Lets go PENS!!!!!!! Hopefully Stanley comes back home where he belongs :0)

• 1 month later...

The worst non-pain symptoms I've had from migraine are difficulty speaking and, yeah, short-term memory loss. Hard to finish thoughts in your head, let alone get them out into sentences. I feel your pain.

This sounds just like me.

Thanks, everyone. I saw this in action again about 10 days ago, when my husband had to remind me again, just a couple of hours after he initially told me his grandfather had died.

No headache today, so doing the Snoopy Dance.

i'm sorry to hear about your migraines. i've never experienced short term memory loss during a migraine. i agree that you should talk to your doctor, or see if your medication is causing this. the migraines might be causing it too. i hope your migraines get better.

SashaSue and justme04, that is possible. I am not on prophylaxis at all at the moment, so it isn't related to that. But obviously, cannabis can cause short term memory problems. In the past, it has been more like I can't remember what I ate yesterday, rather than I can't finish a sentence. But since bad migraines correlate with my heaviest use, and language is one of my big issues with migraines, the combo probably doesn't help.

I have never had *this* level of memory loss before recently, and I am about to renew for the 6th time (as in, I have just about "completed" 5 years of more or less constant use). It seems to fade in and out, even during the same migraine, which makes me think it is a symptom. But everything has changed during this flurry, so the fact that I used it for years without severe memory loss might no longer have any bearing on my current response.

The big advantage of cannabis is you can't OD, so I sometimes have a very high blood level. I am so screwed up cognitively when I am having a really bad migraine that I may be misremembering the order, but my feeling is that the memory loss initially comes with the migraine. But once the migraine is that bad, I am most likely exacerbating it.

Ugh. So right now, in terms of pain control, the trade-off is probably worth it. I can't function with the headaches, so in some ways the memory loss is moot, just scary. When I am not in pain, I am definitely at my "normal" level of forgetfulness. But I will definitely talk about it with UCSF, if I ever hear from them again. I have faxed them my "215" prescription, so they will know to take it into consideration.

I'm not meaning to negate your medication choice, but have you considered that the pot may be causing you more negative issues than positive effects? I mean, you have daily migraines, and you have used pot for five straight years, so much so that you have had "high levels" of THC in your blood. Now you are having memory loss. At what point do you chalk up the substance as not working? I mean, I have headaches really bad too. But when medications I've tried stopped working (or had more negative effects than positive) I've had to accept the fact that I can't use those options any more. I had to do that with going to the ER and getting morphine shots. I mean, it worked for a couple of hours for me, but then I just got sicker as the rebound nausea and headaches started.

I do know how hard it is when the treatment available doesn't work. But is that treatment worth making you sicker in other ways?

I won't deny it as a possibility. It would have to be rebound headaches. I would be surprised, but it wouldn't be the first med that stopped working for my head.

But as weird as this makes me, if rebound headaches are the issue, this would be the first time I have ever had rebound headaches. I have never had them from analgesics. But there is some anecdotal evidence that it can cause rebound.

I'm open to whatever they tell me at UCSF. It would certainly save us money.

Okay, I have been "experimenting," and in a short sentence, I have found I do better overall if I only use cannabis for headaches above a certain level of pain, and not just for any pain level. So less often.

I think it is totally possible that by using it for *any* pain, I am causing rebound headaches. In fact, I think that is a probability. I don't think I am having fewer days of migraine "activity," but I think the "small" headaches may be more painful than they have to be if I use it for every twinge.

It is not that I am having *fewer* headaches, or fewer headaches above a certain pain threshold. But I am finding that if I use it to treat lesser headaches below that threshold, it seems like the lesser headaches may actually be made worse.

I am totally drawing these conclusions based on my unblind single study. I will definitely talk about it with a good neurologist. It really seems like it might backfire for the less painful headaches. For bad pain, it makes a significant to huge improvement, and I am going to keep using it for that.

The only thing that bugs me is I actually seem to be spending more time in bed, because the "lesser" headaches were made temporarily better, and I could sit up and surf and goof around, even if I am not productive. Now I really have to lie down. I can listen to podcasts, so that is what I am trying to do, and if my eyes aren't involved (photophobia is VERY common for me) I can read in bed. It was just with the cannabis, I was able to get short lived breaks from pain, and I would get out of bed and putz around. But again, I think it is making lesser headaches worse, and actually longer lasting.

I haven't been around, because I wanted to try this without interference. That is a totally bitchy thing to say, but I feel like I was able to draw conclusions that were based on just *me,* and I didn't want feedback until then. I am totally open to feedback now, I just wanted to do a little "study."

Okay, I have been "experimenting," and in a short sentence, I have found I do better overall if I only use cannabis for headaches above a certain level of pain, and not just for any pain level. So less often.

I think it is totally possible that by using it for *any* pain, I am causing rebound headaches. In fact, I think that is a probability. I don't think I am having fewer days of migraine "activity," but I think the "small" headaches may be more painful than they have to be if I use it for every twinge.

It is not that I am having *fewer* headaches, or fewer headaches above a certain pain threshold. But I am finding that if I use it to treat lesser headaches below that threshold, it seems like the lesser headaches may actually be made worse.

This is exactly what I noticed with cannabis. Whether it was for treating my fibro or a migraine, if I used it for every little pain, I seemed to rebound. Also, only delta 9-THC is proven to be effective against pain. The stuff you get with lesser amounts may actually exacerbate it. Since I don't live in a medical marijuana state, I can't go to a dispensary that will tell me what type of THC I am getting. But I have learned that sativa strains carry the highest amounts of THC delta 9.

And for the record...I've had migraines with STM loss since I was 9-Waaaaaay before I used cannabis. The STM loss usually happens with a migraine that's prolonged (more than 1 day). I've even forgotten my address phone number and how to operate things that I operate on a daily basis and that was BEFORE I used cannabis. It's honestly nothing to do with cannabis, IMHO.

I dont think I meant to imply THC = memory loss. I was taking the whole rebound of symptoms angle, where the med becomes worse in terms of side effects and rebounds. I mean, you take a substance of any kind that much, crap is likely gonna happen.

However I will be on the up-and-up and state my intense dislike for cannabis. It was used for 15 years with wild abandonment to only the degradation of my family and to the personalities. They used it for both recreational and medical uses. Other than years of secondhand smoke, I will never try it.

Your reason for disliking cannabis is my reason for disliking alcohol. The thing is:any substance can be abused. Except that cannabis can be used medically whereas alcohol cannot. Yet alcohol is legal.

Any med can cause rebound..especially OTCs. Even triptans (ie Axert, imitrex..etc) can cause rebound if used too liberally and too often.

I just wanted to add that I recently had an MRI that showed that I have damage to my gray matter from years of chronic migraine - "white lesions" as their called. These lesions can cause short term and long term memory loss. Maybe a brain MRI is in order?

I expect to have an MRI soon. It's not scheduled yet, but they are going to need some imaging.

Gizmo, I thought I was addressing the rebound headaches, and was agreeing with you. I actually wasn't as concerned about standard THC Short term memory loss. The stuff during the migraines is more like a weird kind of aphasia, where my brain keeps cutting out on me mid sentence or idea.

Archived