CrazyBoards.org

Psychopharmacologist?

Does anyone know of any resources where one can find a psychopharmocologist or at least a psychiatrist who is really good at prescribing meds? I'm in the market for a new pdoc, and I can't seem to find this kind of info on psychiatrists. My current psychiatrist is wedded to the therapist many times + psychiatrist once a month model, and he is not good at prescribing.

Try your local Big Hospital/Psych Hospital outpatient department. A lot of them have a psychopharm department/unit. That's how I got mine, and it was very very helpful.

Thanks tryp, I guess I'll try again. The problem is that they refer you out to a pdoc who is accepting patients at the moment. They don't say how good the pdoc is at prescribing. In fact, that how I got my current crappy pdoc.

Did you ask them for a pdoc or a psychopharm? They should have a specific psychopharm unit/department with a bunch of them, if they're really a big hospital.

you could also tell your current pdoc that you want a second opinion and have him write you a referral for a psychopharm.

If you're really having trouble with your meds, it's worth seeing a psychopharm specifically, rather than just another pdoc. they do extra training in prescribing, usually.

When I saw a psychopharm, he wrote a letter to my pdoc telling her what to prescribe me.

Did you ask them for a pdoc or a psychopharm? They should have a specific psychopharm unit/department with a bunch of them, if they're really a big hospital.

you could also tell your current pdoc that you want a second opinion and have him write you a referral for a psychopharm.

If you're really having trouble with your meds, it's worth seeing a psychopharm specifically, rather than just another pdoc. they do extra training in prescribing, usually.

When I saw a psychopharm, he wrote a letter to my pdoc telling her what to prescribe me.

I don't think there is a separate subspecialty in the US as clinical psychopharm. There are just really good psychiatrists who know their stuff and and are not afraid to think out of the box.

Who Qualifies as a Psychopharmacologist?

In a generic sense, any physician who treats patients with psychotropic medication is a psychopharmacologist. Physicians who have completed residency training after medical school have a high level of understanding and expertise in pharmacology, including psychopharmacology. Psychiatrists (who have completed four years of advanced training after medical school) have an even higher level of understanding and expertise in psychopharmacology.

The term "psychopharmacologist", however, may also be used in a more specific sense to mean a physician with training in advanced psychopharmacology. That is, some physicians specialize even further in psychopharmacology through academic education, Continuing Medical Education (CME), or self-study. ASCP's Examination in Advanced Psychopharmacology is an important tool in that process. This rigorous exam covers all areas of psychopharmacology and requires a thorough understanding of the latest science that has relevance to clinical practice. The exam must be taken every 5 years.

Does not look like there is a board certification for this.

nf

My pdoc specializes in psychopharmacology, other pdocs refer patients to her for consultation, and she does not have a separate certification for it. She is board certified by ABPN with some extra qualifications that are not specific to psychopharmacology. I just looked on the ABPN web site and they don't have a separate psychopharmacology category listed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived