CrazyBoards.org

ANTIDEPRESSANTS NOTHING BUT A PLACEBO?

every thing this guy says is proven and if you look theres much more info on the internet,in books, newspapers,magazine articles saying that Antideppressants are nothing more then a multi billion dollor Placebo

I wish nothing more then to belive my Effexor will make me feel better!!!

but this would explain to me why its not and none of the dozen others have

I don't necessarily believe that an AD is nothing but a placebo. Too many people have been helped by them, and I don't believe doctors would prescribe them if they are nothing but a placebo (professional ethics). However, the truth is that antidepressants alone are not sufficient to help everyone. This is why antidepressants are augmented with lithium, anticonvulsants and antipsychotics.

Now no one would say that, for example, antconvulsants and antipsychotics are placebos. It's pretty hard to fake not having a seizure or not being psychotic either consciously or unconsciously. It's pretty hard to fake not being manic. These are good drugs, and when added to an antidepressant, are very effective.

Um, they have to be proven more effective than a placebo to be allowed on the market.

Also, "antidepressants" is a pretty damn big class of things to identify. There's over 100 of them all working in different ways. The fact that you are making any kind of blanket claim about them all pretty much guarantees that what you are saying is bullshit.

That's also assuming that depression is just one thing which neuroimaging is showing it isn't. Just like there are multiple flavors of bipolar, there are most likely multiple flavors of depression eache of which respond to different medications differently.

So, there is no one single kind of thing that can really be designated as an antidepressant and there's no single physiological condition which produces the symptoms of major depressive disorder.

"Antidepressants don't treat depression" is therefore a meaningless statement.

I checked out your link. It's pure propaganda. I didn't make it all the way through but I've heard it all before.

I can go through it point by point tomorrow if you'll actually take the debunking seriously and your purpose here isn't just to spread anti-psychiatry bullshit.

every thing this guy says is proven and if you look theres much more info on the internet,in books, newspapers,magazine articles saying that Antideppressants are nothing more then a multi billion dollor Placebo

I wish nothing more then to belive my Effexor will make me feel better!!!

but this would explain to me why its not and none of the dozen others have

Find articles in peer reviewed journals. That's pretty much all that counts as authoritative, as well as books written by people recognized as authorities in their fields.

A couple of things. When ADs work whats the result? You feel "normal" and this (I think) is why so many people who take them quit saying "See! I didn't need them I feel fine" Then they crash, take the meds and repeat.

The other thing that I've noticed is the changes are slow and subtle. It took a month (At least) before I felt some effect (other then side effects) and some of the changes were fairly subtle. I did a few personal tests. Like going out to do things that I would have found fun (long ago) and.... It was fun again. Getting feedback from others who know your having problems etc.

It would be great if psych drugs were placebos. I would love to have my symptoms controlled by sugar pills with no side effects. Wouldn't you?

This ^^^ The weight gain or lack or orgasms or insomnia I've gotten from antidepressants weren't imagined lol. And they certainly couldn't have been from a placebo. Especially since I wasn't expecting those things...it wasn't a mental thing.

I checked out your link. It's pure propaganda. I didn't make it all the way through but I've heard it all before.

I can go through it point by point tomorrow if you'll actually take the debunking seriously and your purpose here isn't just to spread anti-psychiatry bullshit.

I didnt relize we had certin purposes on this board

What i did think was this is a place where i can share with out being attacked

BOY WAS I WRONG!

I didnt relize we had certin purposes on this board

What i did think was this is a place where i can share with out being attacked

BOY WAS I WRONG!

You clearly did not read our new user agreement:

This isn't your usual support site.  Frankly, we think most of the so-called support sites out there suck.  That's why we have our own.  You won't find that your every post is responded to with feigned warm fuzziness and cyberhugs.  Frankly, we think cyberhugs suck.

A lot of other sites place great importance on making sure people are not offended or "triggered."  We don't.  With reasonable exceptions such as the PTSD board, we don't do a lot of walking on eggshells around here.  Everyone is encouraged to say what they need to say and not worry about what effect it may have on others.  We do have a trigger warning feature which people are free to use if they so desire, but its use is not required.

Translation: We like to speak our minds here. If we think something is bullshit, we're going to say so. No, we're not attacking you. We're just calling what we see.

I didn't even bother to watch your video. I'm into Science, not hyperbole. Double blind, crossover statistically controlled proof.

We have nearly 60 years of proof that medication works for treating mental illness. Peer reviewed; replicated studies; world wide repeatable results.

If you want to catching up on the truth start by using a search service called "Pubmed". I'll be glad to discuss and debate anything you find there.

a.m.

I want to preface this post by saying that what I'm about to say is, of yet, still largely unpublished work because of human ethics standards in Canada... so consider this an interesting possible development, not hard science (at least not yet). Just so I don't get yelled at :)

My sister (yes I know everyone has a relative or friend or friend of a friend who does research) did her Masters work on the placebo effect. What they were working on was the effects of placebos on depression and pain when people knew they were getting placebos.

Half their work was on acupuncture & depression. When people got sham acupuncture (not in the right spot) but were not told it was a sham, there was a placebo effect compared to control. When people got sham acupuncture and were TOLD it was a sham, their response was not significantly different from the first group. So, people who knew the treatment was sham still showed placebo effect.

Then they were working on NSAIDs and pain. There was a smaller placebo effect this time, but then again, when people were told they were getting a sugar pill, there was no significant statistical difference between blind placebo and told placebo.

They had troubles setting up experiments that satisfied the ethics board because of the deception, problem with double blinding and some other stuff I don't really know about. So now she studies pituitary adenylate cyclase activating polypeptide and SIDS. Other people have continued with their work.

I guess my point in posting this is to point out that placebo effect can be a very real, documented phenomenon, and even when the placebo isn't a secret, there may be an effect. Placebos can have side effects, as someone earlier talked about.

ETA: I just want to make it clear that I am definitely not anti-psych or anti-meds. Just interested in sharing weird bits of science that come my way.

Archived