CrazyBoards.org

Hello all,

With Risperdal I've noticed that my brain function has changed. I don't have the same ability to speak eloquently or at length that I used to, and I frequently find myself forgetting details, not explaining myself well in conversation, or having to stop in mid-sentence to re-collect my thoughts. Does anyone have any experience with this that has gotten along okay? Or could there be another medication that would lessen this side effect?

How long have you been on Risperdal? Did you start at a high dose? I had some side effects when I first started taking it (mostly I felt like my thinking was slowed down) but they let up after a couple of weeks. The only thing that I'm still battling is the sedation, but it's not that bad I guess. I'd give it a few weeks, if you haven't already.

How long have you been on Risperdal? Did you start at a high dose? I had some side effects when I first started taking it (mostly I felt like my thinking was slowed down) but they let up after a couple of weeks. The only thing that I'm still battling is the sedation, but it's not that bad I guess. I'd give it a few weeks, if you haven't already.

CrazyCatLady,

I've been on for two months and started at 5mg a day. Then it was raised to 6mg, and then to 9mg, and since last week it's been back at 6mg.

Wow, that's interesting. I feel like my thinking is sped up on it, and that I have less brain fog on it.

CrazyCatLady,

I've been on for two months and started at 5mg a day. Then it was raised to 6mg, and then to 9mg, and since last week it's been back at 6mg.

5 mg is a very high dosage to start with because Risperdal is a very potent med. That's possibly why you had/are having difficulties with it. Also, like SashaSue said, it is sometimes very difficult to tell the side effects of the medication from the symptoms of the disease.

CrazyCatLady,

I'm confused. In another thread you said you'd started at 3mg, and gone up to 4.5 for a while?

CrazyCatLady,

5 mg is a very high dosage to start with because Risperdal is a very potent med. That's possibly why you had/are having difficulties with it. Also, like SashaSue said, it is sometimes very difficult to tell the side effects of the medication from the symptoms of the disease.

5 mg is more like a medium dose, but high to begin. 9mg is a high dose.

I would expect the s/es to reduce some with your dose decrease. These types of side effects are often dose dependent and as others have said, also often diminish with time. As far as AAPs go, each one effects the individual differently. I was going to say Risperdal probably falls in the middle on sedation with Zyprexa and Seroquel more so and Abilify and Geodon less, but Geodon makes many sleepy and some aren't bothered by Seroquel, especially at higher doses. So, eh. It depends on how the drug likes you.

CrazyCatLady,

I'm confused. In another thread you said you'd started at 3mg, and gone up to 4.5 for a while?

I meant 3mg twice a day, 4.5mg twice a day.

I'm not sure of your dx, but impact to cognitive function can occur from episodes - as mine has outlasted various meds, I think that's what I'm dealing with. I never thought of it as the 'zombie state' though. Interesting.

So for those who say that it's just a temporary side effect, how long did it take you to overcome it? For me, it's been about a week and a half since I got off the 9mg back onto the 6mg, and yet I still notice a lot of brain fog, difficulty formulating thoughts, and difficulty expressing what I want to verbally. Interestingly, I did notice some difficulty speaking even before the 9mg dose, but I don't remember it being as severe.

For me it made me a zombie, but that's because we later realized I didn't need antipsychotics. It depleted my dopamine levels so much that all I could do was stare at the wall. No smiling, no laughing, barely any talking, no participating in interests. For you, it may be that even you are on a high dosage, even if you need the medicine. Too much can do that to you. And as others are saying, it could be your illness, although when it comes to antipsychotics I blame them for any zombification and lack of motivation...

For me it made me a zombie, but that's because we later realized I didn't need antipsychotics. It depleted my dopamine levels so much that all I could do was stare at the wall. No smiling, no laughing, barely any talking, no participating in interests. For you, it may be that even you are on a high dosage, even if you need the medicine. Too much can do that to you. And as others are saying, it could be your illness, although when it comes to antipsychotics I blame them for any zombification and lack of motivation...

What happened that you found out that you didn't need anti-psychotics?

What happened that you found out that you didn't need anti-psychotics?

Besides the fact that they constantly made me worse and not better...like caused me to have no drive to live, and I'd usually end up trying to kill myself, I got a test done and a lot of evaluations. I've posted this elsewhere and some people would say neurotransmitter tests are quackery, and maybe they are to an extent, but I think they have SOME validity. Anyway, I'm very depleted in the dopamine department, and antipsychotics are dopamine antagonists. Even without that and the psych evaluations, they were clearly making my will to live almost non existent. They just aren't for everyone. Some people do quite well and aren't as zombified.

• 1 month later...

hey mertzo,

i know this thread is old, but was wondering if youre still on the risperdal and if the slow thinking has gone away.

for the last month i had been on 3mg a day and it really really really slowed my mind down. i have been having the same problems that you describe. hope youre still around. would like to hear what you have to say.

I had similar to what you described when I was ill and not on meds. For me it was going on meds that helped.

I did not liken this experience to a 'zombie state', and thought more about how I used to feel at around 11pm after taking my meds (up until about a week ago). How I had the experience you seem to be describing is that it was a part of my thought control, when they would steal my thoughts mid-sentence.

It is just that some of the others have also said that it is often difficult to separate the illness from the side effects of the medication. So I thought I would offer my experiences as it being part of the illness.

Hope this helped.

This is totally a sidebar, but AAP's don't actually deplete your dopamine levels, as I understand it. Rather, they bind to some of the receptors to which dopamine would normally bind, thereby lessening its efficacy.

I wish I could find that other post and I'm pretty sure you saw my reply there too but if you didn't, I had said that I just used the wrong words to describe that, you guys can stop correcting me, it wasn't even that I thought wrong, I have just been saying it wrong. Seriously, the same people in this post are the ones who told me about that in another one...why repeat? I said I got it.

Archived