CrazyBoards.org

My doctor insisted on TravaCor and Kavinace, by NeuroScience. So we threw down the 135 dollars. But I cannot tell if they're helping. I mean I've had so many med switches in the last week that it's impossible to tell...for all I know I have a horrible illness and wouldn't even know because I'm going through either withdrawals or preliminary side effects. Has anyone taken these things? Any success? How much did you take? I do NOT want to keep spending money on them if they don't work. But I don't want to throw em out cause I've only been on them a week and maybe it takes longer to see results. Will any of them clash with any of my meds? I can't even talk to my pdoc for 3 weeks, and anytime I try to look these things up it's NeuroScience sites and of course they'd be biased... Is it dumb to be taking this stuff while I'm on pharmaceuticals? It was my pdoc's idea though; I didn't just go out and buy em...

I think supplements can take a very long time - weeks, months - to work. But I also think that most supplements have never been tested in a proper scientific fashion, so who the heck knows. On the otherhand, the placebo effect is power in pretty much all meds. I dunno, I could be talking out my ass :) I looked into this a bit recently though as I have a friend studying to become a naturopath who told me about a 'doctor' of naturopathy who works with MI patients.

travacor is basically made up of 5htp, l-theanine, and taurine. and i believe kavinace is basically GABA. you got to research the ingeredients. cause they usually use herbs or supplements that are well known. and just throw some weird name on there like travacor, and try to make you buy them. when in reality it's better to know a bit about herbs and buy the herbs seperately.

here's one combo you'll see on for all "sleep better" type products. melatonin(usually), valerian root, GABA, and/or passion flower. even now in the news they have brownies infused with this "relax" type product.

5HTP isn't bad and can be used in place of an ssri, if you don't like those. ltheanine is alright as well. but GABA is pretty useless IMO, and only works a little bit.

TravaCor Ingredients - http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread115394.html

taurine

5-HTP

Theanine

Kavinace Ingredients - http://www.mindreference.com/Kavinace.html

Vitamin B6

Taurine

Phenibut

L-Theanine - http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1053-THEANINE.aspx?activeIngredientId=1053&activeIngredientName=THEANINE

Taurine - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/taurine/AN01856

Phenibut - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenibut

So you're messing with Serotonin and GABA, along with tossing in the other supplements. You don't have to worry about the B-6.

You've pretty much been ripped off. IF, this combo were to help you, you could get the exact same thing for under $50 were you to buy them separate. Take a look at the links.

and yah i thought phenibut was GABA for some reason.

GABA is γ-Aminobutyric acid (the y is Greek for gamma). Phenibut is beta-Phenyl-gamma-aminobutyric acid.. so it has the addition of a Phenyl group. This is supposed to help it cross the blood-brain barrier. So, yes.. GABA.

Oh, and this doesn't apply to you koali777 because you're not on a Serotonin med and your doc knows.. but for others:

Mixing your meds (specifically ones that work with Serotonin) with 5-HTP without clearing it with your pdoc is dangerous. You should always let your pdoc know everything you're taking.. even supplements.

travacor is basically made up of 5htp, l-theanine, and taurine. and i believe kavinace is basically GABA. you got to research the ingeredients. cause they usually use herbs or supplements that are well known. and just throw some weird name on there like travacor, and try to make you buy them. when in reality it's better to know a bit about herbs and buy the herbs seperately.

here's one combo you'll see on for all "sleep better" type products. melatonin(usually), valerian root, GABA, and/or passion flower. even now in the news they have brownies infused with this "relax" type product.

5HTP isn't bad and can be used in place of an ssri, if you don't like those. ltheanine is alright as well. but GABA is pretty useless IMO, and only works a little bit.

]

5htp can be dangerous when taken with other serotonergic meds, and really cannot be used in place of an ssri.

...I believe you guys, and I checked out the links. I don't know what to say. Why would my pdoc push these things on me? Would she really stoop to ripping me off? Or is she stupid and actually believes they will work? Well, if they aren't hurting me, I'll finish the bottles. Long as they won't cause fatigue or weight gain or a bad reaction, I might as well take what I paid for. But wow...idk...I'm stupid to have believed. I was just so desperate to get better. Only thing in my cocktail that makes me feel good now is the Adderall (obviously) but I crash in the afternoon. Damn it. I'll never get better.

Koali, you should talk more with your Psychiatrist about the supplements. My doctor has, at times, asked me to try supplements. However if you can't afford them (as they are not covered by insurance) or if you doubt the validity of the treatment then you need to talk about this with the doctor. In my opinion there can be good benefits from certain supplements but the benefits are subtle and a long time coming. I think of it as an incremental way to support my health.

Talk with your doctor about your concerns.

]

5htp can be dangerous when taken with other serotonergic meds, and really cannot be used in place of an ssri.

5htp can also be problematic for those who go manic on SSRIs, particularly if they do so while on a stabilizer.

Koali, you should talk more with your Psychiatrist about the supplements. My doctor has, at times, asked me to try supplements. However if you can't afford them (as they are not covered by insurance) or if you doubt the validity of the treatment then you need to talk about this with the doctor. In my opinion there can be good benefits from certain supplements but the benefits are subtle and a long time coming. I think of it as an incremental way to support my health.

Talk with your doctor about your concerns.

Well, the thing is, I bought them at her house, meaning she is obviously getting some money from NeuroScience from selling em at her home. Should I even trust what she says? It's sort of like my old pdoc that seemed to have a love affair with Vyvanse...he had pictures of it everywhere and put me on 140 mg which is a ridiculous dose. I mean yeah sure if they help that's cool but I don't want to wait months to see if they do. I only have a 40 day supply. If they aren't working by then, I have to quit, I don't have money coming out of my ears. If I want to support my health I'd run and eat healthy...I don't know.

Hi,

1. Its really odd that your pdoc had you come to her house, unless that is also where she "practices."

2. I told my pdoc I will not take anything that costs more than $50. I know that pdoc does not know my co-pays. But Im sure he knows that some meds out there are expensive.

db

Well, the thing is, I bought them at her house, meaning she is obviously getting some money from NeuroScience from selling em at her home. Should I even trust what she says? It's sort of like my old pdoc that seemed to have a love affair with Vyvanse...he had pictures of it everywhere and put me on 140 mg which is a ridiculous dose. I mean yeah sure if they help that's cool but I don't want to wait months to see if they do. I only have a 40 day supply. If they aren't working by then, I have to quit, I don't have money coming out of my ears. If I want to support my health I'd run and eat healthy...I don't know.

If I were you, I'd be looking for another pdoc. I've never heard of a pdoc having a patient at his/her home, much less to sell them something. I'm sure that she is breaking some ethics rules about conflicts of interest. Something here is not right.

Archived