CrazyBoards.org

a question, if you don't mind

withing

Okay, so I'm renting a room from this lady who is nice enough but has enough quirks to drive people a little cranky.

We share a house with a Frenchman who's only here three days a week so he doesn't care much about anything as long as he has a place to sleep, eat, drink and diss America. She's more than happy to do three of the four with him (he's married, you figure out which three).

We had a Chinese roommate who left in a huff because she didn't think it was right for the lady who rents the house to charge two of us $400 a month and the French guy $300 a month when the total rent on the place is ~$835 a month. This doesn't include TV or internet, which we do not have (except for me because I have a netbook which picks up the college's internet). Our landlady said we would have to pay extra if we wanted TV and internet. Add that to my landlady's other peculiarities (including penny pinching at every opportunity) and she just couldn't take it anymore.

We now have a new, temporary roommate who has been here one day and just found out the same information and also wants to leave "as soon as possible." Both have offered me a place to live with them if they can find accommodations that are cheaper than here, including TV and internet and far better digs than what I'm in now.

My question, should I take them up on their offer? I haven't signed a lease, and honestly I'm not unhappy with paying $400 a month because it keeps me out of a lease. However, if I can get cheaper, better digs, (also sans lease and in the same vicinity location-wise) that would save me a lot of dough. I feel like I'd be letting my landlady down, but I kinda feel like she's cheating me too.

I dunno, what would y'all do? This woman isn't a best friend or even someone I'm going to keep in contact with after I leave here, but I'd like to keep the peace as much as possible while I'm here... yanno?

As long as you give her notice (here we're required to, even if there is no lease) then I don't see the problem with moving or why you would set up a bad situation by leaving (in that fashion).

Yes, I would take them up on their offer, and not worry about your current landlady. If you don't have a lease, you don't have any obligation to her. If she's as quirky as she sounds, then I wouldn't say anything until you are ready to move, which would allow you to keep the peace. You need to put yourself first in this situation. It's a business arrangement so feelings don't need to enter into it, as long as you're acting ethically, and since you don't have a lease, you are acting ethically.

I also don't think what profit the landlady makes enters into it. If she prices her rooms at the going rate, she'll have roomers. If she charges too much, she won't. I'm sure if the roles were reversed and she found a place she likes better, she wouldn't hesitate to move out.

Letting your landlady down???? Your loyalty needs to be towards yourself. You have been complaining about that place where you live for a long time. You have posted about it. It would be GREAT if you got out of there, rented an apartment with another woman. I hope you leave asap.

Get out of there if you have the opportunity. Difficult living home life can impact every other aspect of your life and if you haven't been happy there for a long time you need to move.

That woman didn't give you any heat in the winter, fer cryin' out loud. And she's charging you $400 for a single room? If you can find something better, move on.

Before you do it, I would meet with the prospective roommate and discuss noise levels, TV habits, kitchen rules and all that sort of thing. Just to avoid problems before they happen. And make sure she isn't allergic to kitties. :)

olga

Olga, both of the women who have offered me a place, if they find a place (which I'm sure they will) have already lived with me so I know they're okay with kitty and how they live. Okay, I don't know how the woman who just moved in lives, but she seems nice, if a little upset about the arrangements.

Catnapper, she's actually charging more than the going rate. She finds roommates *because* she doesn't have a lease and she offers short term rooms. However, if enough people move out, she will not be able to find any other roommates. Even if I give her notice, I don't think she'll be able to keep anyone here for very long, especially after they find out that the roommates are basically paying her rent and utilities and she is paying nothing.

The thing is, she is living on campus, in faculty housing, and while it's okay to have roommates, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to make a profit on them. She could not only lose her job but be deported if she keeps it up. I don't think she understands this because she doesn't think she's doing anything wrong.

Catnapper, she's actually charging more than the going rate. She finds roommates *because* she doesn't have a lease and she offers short term rooms. However, if enough people move out, she will not be able to find any other roommates. Even if I give her notice, I don't think she'll be able to keep anyone here for very long, especially after they find out that the roommates are basically paying her rent and utilities and she is paying nothing.

The thing is, she is living on campus, in faculty housing, and while it's okay to have roommates, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to make a profit on them. She could not only lose her job but be deported if she keeps it up. I don't think she understands this because she doesn't think she's doing anything wrong.

So she's charging a premium price for a short term arrangement with no lease. To me that's like paying more for a quart of milk at a convenience store - you're paying a higher price because you can be in and out in under two minutes. If she can't keep roommates at the current price she charges, then she'll be forced to drop her price. I appreciate your concern for her, but if she can't get or keep roommates, it's entirely her problem, and not yours. It's also not your worry if what she's doing is against faculty housing regulations or the clauses in her lease, and whatever repercussions that may cause for her.

I think you should move on and let her be responsible for her actions. You can't fix other people.

I'd find out the law on giving notice. Your local Housing Dept should be able to say. She may try to charge whether advanced notice is required or not, so the info could come in handy a couple ways. I'd also let whoever you are moving out know that info so that you do not give notice befor a new place with your new roomy is secured.

Where you live is a business arrangement. Your landlord is renting for money to improve her financial situation, not to make friends. Her feelings should not be a factor in your decision-making. That'd be like caring about how the ginzu knife salesperson feels when you decide whether or not to purchase.

You've been unhappy there. If you have the chance to get to a living situation you'll enjoy more, go for it. If you can save some money, too, that's added bonus.

Honestly, if it didn't mean giving up my cat (who can't take the extreme weather) I'd move back into my RV, which has been sitting in the driveway since December, and say "fuck it" to the whole renting thing. I mean, I'm not saving *any* money at all right now and I got a hell of a lot more done when I was living in the stupid thing. I'm seriously considering taking the month of May and gutting the thing so I can move back into it in June (just as it's starting to heat up, you know). But, I'd have to find a new home for Mr. Mister 'cause I just can't put him in a tin can during the summer and there's nowhere else I can leave him during the worst of the worst. Me? I'm good with less than perfect living conditions because to me a place to sleep is a place to sleep, but Mr. Mister doesn't have anything to say about the whole thing, so I feel guilty putting him in substandard living arrangements...

My mind is so weird when it comes to these things... :unsure:

Ahem... the other lady that moved in here and asked me to move out with her (the day after she moved in)? the one that I referenced in the first post? I most certainly will not move anywhere with her as the primary roommate, even if it is cheaper. Since she's moved in (last week), she's flooded the place with air freshener - even after I've told her it sets off my asthma - she's "de-germed" everything and constantly hypes about "good food" and "good hygiene." We went on a 40 minute last weekend and listened to her old paster preach (DVD) for both the ride there and the ride back. Not only that, but she is so buddy buddy with the landlady every freaking day but as soon as the LL's back is turned it's bitch time... I hate that kind of person. So, no.

The previous roommate, I'd move in with her except she's found herself a sweet deal - free room and board for housekeeping. Can't blame her for taking that. ^_^

As for moving back into my trailer... well probably not going to happen as I can't get anyone to help me fix the damned thing. Therefore, I will make do with what I've dealt myself.

Just so's y'all know.

That sucks withing, I am just glad you found out about her NOW rather then later. Hang in there, it's gonna get better somehow. :) I'd definitely be on the look out for something though if it happens that you find a couple of good roommates then JUMP! :D

Archived