CrazyBoards.org

Do I need Wellbutrin if I'm on Adderall?

I got on Wellbutrin 8 weeks ago, and it did NOTHING for my depression. In fact, I have been more depressed, but I don't blame that on Wellbutrin, it's just that it doesn't help. However, Adderall has worked like a charm to make me happier and more productive and more awake. Do I need Wellbutrin if I have Adderall? Should I ask my pdoc about this? For the life of me I can barely understand what a dopamine reuptake inhibitor is...I have researched and researched but still can't tell if it means you are depleted of dopamine or if it makes the dopamine work better? If it makes it work better, is it DANGEROUS while on Adderall? Or if it makes it worse, it is stupid on Adderall? All I know is it seems worthless, and I want Adderall working at its best.

From what I understand, amphetamine works by getting into the neuron through the dopamine transporters, so a dopamine reuptake inhibitor like bupropion might actually make it less effective. Take that with a grain of salt though - I've heard a bunch of different stories about how amphetamine works, reuptake inhibition has its own effects on neurotransmitter turnover, and bupropion isn't a very strong reuptake inhibitor anyway.

The combination is not dangerous AFAIK. You should talk to your doctor about whether or not you should continue the Wellbutrin. You're on a fairly low dose, so trying a higher dose might be helpful.

There's no reason not to be on both at once. They work differently enough to be useful together. I'm not at all seeing how WB could make adderall less effective, but maybe Aurochs will explain that further?

You're on a pretty low dosage of WB. You might want to talk to your pdoc about an increase.

Of all your recent med changes, you seem to be most fixated on the adderall. I'm just wondering why that is?

Oh, SS, good question. Well before I got very mentally ill, and before meds that slowed my mind and all that, I used to play the piano, read all the time (even classics), write, etc... And finally I can do that again. I have the concentration and good mood and stamina back. It is...breathtaking to feel this way again. It doesn't make me high and excitable and yet the calming effect really makes me able to do these things I loved, the things that defined me. And I can't explain how wonderful it really is. Because I've only been on it like 5 days, I'm still a bit excited about it and obsessed with it.

Amphetamine makes a lot of people feel good.. but unfortunately the mood effects dont last without adding more and more of the drug as you get tolerant.

Id try to find something that gives you a sustainable effect without the potential for addiction. Wellbutrin pooped out on me too, it sucks because it really worked for awhile there. =(

Amphetamine makes a lot of people feel good.. but unfortunately the mood effects dont last without adding more and more of the drug as you get tolerant.

Not everybody, at least not me. I do find amphetamine to be a powerful AD augmenter, though this effect is limited to the time amphetamine is active. Doses used is ADD

and elsewhere should not produce any level of euphoria, that takes a much higher dosage.

As to the question at hand, I like the combo of Wellbutrin and amphetamine. As has been said here, they treat different things.

nf

I'm not at all seeing how WB could make adderall less effective, but maybe Aurochs will explain that further?

Where are you confused?

Bupropion would prevent amphetamine from being transported into dopaminergic neurons. Since amphetamine needs to be in a neuron to have much effect*, it may not work quite as well in the presence of bupropion as it would alone. Of course, since bupropion has its own effects on dopamine release and turnover, the actual clinical effect of combining the two drugs isn't so predictable. It could be a very good combination for all I know. This isn't apples-to-apples comparable to taking MDMA while on SSRIs, where the latter completely neutralizes the former.

* A synaptic vesicle containing amphetamine and dopamine is more likely to be released during an action potential than one containing only dopamine. If you have a lot of vesicles with amphetamine, you wind up with a lot of dopamine in the synapse. This, of course, is per the best explanation for amphetamine's action I've seen.

Actually, thank you for that extra information. It kind of makes more sense now. I'll have to ask my pdoc why I'm still on it; she wasn't the one to put me on it, I was put on it in the hospital and wasn't on Adderall at the time. And I'd assume she wouldn't want to take me off everything at once. So since you know about this stuff, what about smoking? Does that extra dopamine rush make it worse for me? (Yes, I realize smoking is BAD IN GENERAL, it's just a scientific question right now). I've noticed that when I smoke while taking this, I feel a better rush than ever, but that doesn't mean it's not fucking up my body. Does it make anything less effective, more effective, the same? I always am obsessed with this stuff, I try to research what I should avoid, but I haven't found anything on it. I've either found "How to smoke Adderall" which is stupid, or people who are buzz junkies that are just talking about how smoking while taking it is so amazing.

Nicotine doesn't work directly on dopaminergic neurons; rather, it disinhibits them (increases their firing rate). As you've learned, this has an additive effect with amphetamine.

I've found nothing indicating that nicotine and amphetamine are unsafe together (aside from the potential dependence issues, safety problems with being more stimulated, and safety problems that smoking and amphetamine have on their own). I imagine if there was anything really concerning about your particular cocktail, your pdoc wouldn't have prescribed the Adderall.

Bupropion is a good smoking cessation aid. It may be worth increasing the dose just for that.

I HAVE noticed that my withdrawals between smokes are a lot worse and obvious than when I wasn't on Adderall. I'm not sure why this is. Like I get quite ill if I go more than 3 hours and am fine after smoking (I used to smoke no more than 3 to 4 a day). I do worry that nicotine may make Adderall race through my body, or that I'll get hypertension, or that quitting smoking may mess up the Adderall too if my body was used to it, but for now I'm staying on EVERYTHING.

I dunno about the wellbutrin making adderall less effective. Ive been on wellbutrin several times at various doses and adderall still has the same effect. Ive been on 10mg bid for like 10 years now. Maybe this is an individual response thing, Im weird like that =p

I also get some mood boost from adderall but the crash sucks. I think wellbutrin is good for this anyhow.. seems like it doesnt do much else beside smooth that out a little.

Im on a lot of stuff that works on dopamine and Im starting to feel it.. tremors and such. Might stop the wellbutrin again =(

My doc mentioned this when I added wellbutrin.. that I should look out for sudden strenuous exercise causing cardiac weirdness and dehydration. Havent had those however.

Archived