CrazyBoards.org

What should I do?

I went to fill my pill box this morning, and I only had one 20 mg Prozac! My pdoc put me on 40 mg, but since I had just filled my script, he didnt give me another. I don't see him till Wednesday. I took the only one I had today, so I only got 20 mg instead of 40 mg. Then I have nothing for tomorrow morning. I plan on calling in the morning. Will this be bad for me? Or should I see about getting something today? Can I even do that? Im actually not doing too bad these past few days, and Im scared this is going to mess with my mood.

You could try going to/calling the pharmacy and asking them if they can give you two or three pills. Mine has done that for me before.

Also, obviously I don't know if it's going to affect your mood, but my old pdoc told me that she prescribes Prozac for patients who are likely to forget to take their pills because the halflife is so long that you can miss one or two without having a terrible withdrawal.

Probably still worth trying the pharmacy option, though - nothing to lose there, really.

Yes, tryp is right. Most pharmacies will give/sell you 3 or 4 pills to get you through until you see your doctor. It isn't like you're dealing with Vicodin or some other controlled substance. Your pharmacy has records that show your doctor has prescribed this for you.

olga

prozac has a really long half life. You can miss several days and not notice a thing. Just like it takes forever for it to kick in, it takes forever of not taking it for you to feel the effects. You can double up your dose for a couple days after you get back on it and be all caught up.

Witchywoman, you are in the EXACT same spot as I am with my risperidone. But I think VE iand tryp are right, Prozac has a long half-life so you should be ok until you see your pdoc or can get a call through. I don't know about asking the pharmacist though. Maybe that will work also until you get another prescription.

Repeating what everyone else has said, Prozac has a long half-life (several days). I actually did some calculations in a spreadsheet a while back to figure out how quickly it increases in my system (yes, I'm a complete geek), and it takes a lot of days for things to change substantially. I'm sure you will be okee dokee. Hang in there!

Thanks! I ended up seeing pdoc late this morning. Got my prescription filled. He said pretty much what the rest of you said, that it takes a long time for prozac to get out of your system and me missing half a dose yesterday and getting todays dose late, isn't a big deal. I told him also, that Im having anxiety. He said probably the prozac and that it should even out soon. This is honestly the weirdest, hardest antidepressant I've taken. Most of them kick in quicker and I see results quicker. This one is taking it's precious time. Ugh.

Archived