CrazyBoards.org

OCD or psychosis?

Hello everyone,

A few months ago I was suffering with POCD. Everywhere I would go, especially in public places, it would be there with me. I've read a lot about it to understand what I was going through, but one thing I haven't seen yet is people talking about having hallucinations with their POCD.

You see, I would have these sorts of "senses" (not visual, auditory, or otherwise, almost like thoughts) that people were in the room with me. Often, these people were friends from childhood that had long since grown up, or people that otherwise couldn't possibly be in the room with me (e.g., someone that I saw on a billboard, but in my dorm room, 200 miles away from home, at 1am). While I was having these experiences, I could cognitively assess that no one was next to me, but I nevertheless worried about doing something inappropriate to these "senses" just as if they were real people. There was a "groin" region that these senses had that I was afraid to touch, where I would frequently kick them instead to make them go away.

When I described these things to my psychiatrist, he said that I had psychosis and recommended that I be hospitalized. In the hospital, they diagnosed me with Psychotic Disorder NOS and not OCD [since I didn't have any of the compulsive symptoms -- I guess they've never heard of Pure-O], and now I'm on Risperdal, an anti-psychotic. Since that time the "senses" have entirely gone away, but since the medicine has quite a few side effects, and since I'd never had a psychotic episode before, I'm looking for a second opinion. My current psychiatrist says that "it might be OCD" instead of psychosis, in which case I will be very happy.

What do you think? Has anyone else ever had these kinds of "senses" along with their OCD? What do you recommend that I do?

Hi. I know all of this must be difficult, confusing and perhaps frightening. I'm sorry. It'd be nice if no one had to deal with mental health issues, me included. I can also understand wanting to reach out to others with problems for explanation of your own issues. Just keep in mind that although members may share their experiences, no one here can diagnose you. CB is not a place for second opinions. A second or third doctor would be.

I have a couple questions if you don't mind. What does POCD stand for exactly? Psychotic OCD? It's a new acronym to me. Also, has your doctor said what the treatment would be if you had OCD instead Psychotic Disorder?

Hi. I know all of this must be difficult, confusing and perhaps frightening. I'm sorry. It'd be nice if no one had to deal with mental health issues, me included. I can also understand wanting to reach out to others with problems for explanation of your own issues. Just keep in mind that although members may share their experiences, no one here can diagnose you. CB is not a place for second opinions. A second or third doctor would be.

I have a couple questions if you don't mind. What does POCD stand for exactly? Psychotic OCD? It's a new acronym to me. Also, has your doctor said what the treatment would be if you had OCD instead Psychotic Disorder?

I'm not looking for a second opinion so much as a shared experience, if there is one. POCD stands for paedophile OCD -- it's a form of OCD in which you worry that you might be a paedophile, despite the fact that you've never committed any kind of paedophile offence. The doctor didn't say what the treatment would be, except that there might be some anti-depressants.

The fact that the AAP's worked suggests to me that what you were experiencing was indeed psychosis, but I'm not a doctor. If you're having a lot of trouble with side effects, there are other AAP's you can try that might be a better fit.

My question would be, why does it matter what label you put on it if the medication is helping? It seems to me that you think that OCD is a better diagnosis than psychosis. Really, when it comes to MI nothing is "better" than another. I had OCD. I wasted my teenage years doing rituals to block out bad thoughts while my friends were out having fun. Meds didn't work or didn't work completely, and it took much work plus getting older to overcome it. I still have bouts of OCD when I am under a lot of stress. No, OCD is not better than psychosis. OCD can cripple you.

My point is, don't worry so much what label the doctors slap on your particular brand of crazy. Just focus on getting treatment that works.

OCD and psychosis are treated very differently.

OCD requires a fair bit of therapy.

Psychosis is managed mainly by medication.

I can see the argument for not needing to know with mood disorders, but I personally would want to understand if I was psychotic or OCD.

This is the reason. Psychosis = medications, OCD = possibly something else.

I can see the argument for not needing to know with mood disorders, but I personally would want to understand if I was psychotic or OCD.

This is the reason. Psychosis = medications, OCD = possibly something else.

There are many with OCD who cannot function without medication. And the "something else" doesn't always work or takes years.

As far as the treatment plan, that's up to the professionals. As far as knowing or not knowing, it's not essential to know immediately. I would agree that eventually one wants to know, but one cannot push it if even the professionals are unclear on the diagnosis. The key is to get effective treatment as soon as possible.

Dianthus,

I am seeing a therapist. But how do I connect what's diagnosed in therapy with what goes on as far as my meds are concerned? Every therapist I've had has said I'm hands-down OCD, but the psychiatrists are mainly on the psychosis.

As for the people, I knew that they really weren't there, but my mind nevertheless reacted to their "presence."

Archived