CrazyBoards.org

Not depressed any more but...

Title says it all. Is it normal to still want to cut myself even though I'm no longer depressed? It's not even like I have some reason for doing it, like wanting to punish myself, take control, whatever. I just do it.

Before someone tells me to speak to someone about this: I am going to speak to the counsellor at school (or possibly another teacher who is much more helpful even though it's not officially her responsibility) if this is still going on by the time the holidays are over (next week). I have tried speaking to my parents before, last time I was cutting and they just got angry and told me not to be such an attention seeker.

Although sometimes I wonder if this is to do with attention on some subliminal level for me because it seems to often happen during times when my parents are preoccupied (as in, I can't even say one word to them without them being too busy or too stressed to deal with me) with other things and don't notice me so much.But it's not like I'm deliberately doing it for their attention, the last thing I want is for them to think I'm suicidal and spend every moment watching me, and I definitely don't want them calling school and getting the teachers to be constantly checking up on me either. It honestly makes me feel worse to have people fussing about me.

So yeah, am I normal? Or at least, within the bounds of 'normal' self harming behaviour?

That has happened to me before, still happens. I am currently not depressed but am still getting urges to cut myself (and even suicidal thoughts). Can't say why though, but I don't think it's...abnormal, really, I've heard other people say they still get the urge too. I guess it might just be hard-wired into our brain after doing it that that's what we're supposed to do now. I get the urge really bad when I'm bored and have nothing else to do, especially, or even when I experience the slightest bit of stress, whatever it may be.

Hope that helped a little, I'm not expert or anything and can't say exactly why, but you're not alone.

I deal with that every day, and I wouldn't consider myself depressed. Yet several times a day I am considering cutting no matter what. Especially seeing certain triggery items. I haven't cut since November, but I still think about it all the fucking time. It's really rather annoying.

So no, you're not the only one. Even when I'm relatively happy I still want to cut.

I hope that you get help for this and that talking to your counselor helps. I wish I had something awesome to say about it, only that I can relate.

That has happened to me before, still happens. I am currently not depressed but am still getting urges to cut myself (and even suicidal thoughts). Can't say why though, but I don't think it's...abnormal, really, I've heard other people say they still get the urge too. I guess it might just be hard-wired into our brain after doing it that that's what we're supposed to do now. I get the urge really bad when I'm bored and have nothing else to do, especially, or even when I experience the slightest bit of stress, whatever it may be.

Hope that helped a little, I'm not expert or anything and can't say exactly why, but you're not alone.

Well, it's good to know I'm not alone smile.gif

I also get it a lot when there's nothing else to do, it seems like it's the first port of call for my brain: 'Hey, you're not doing anything. Have you considered hurting yourself?'

I deal with that every day, and I wouldn't consider myself depressed. Yet several times a day I am considering cutting no matter what. Especially seeing certain triggery items. I haven't cut since November, but I still think about it all the fucking time. It's really rather annoying.

So no, you're not the only one. Even when I'm relatively happy I still want to cut.

I hope that you get help for this and that talking to your counselor helps. I wish I had something awesome to say about it, only that I can relate.

I hope so too - she's not always the most sympathetic of people and sometimes involves other people after she specifically said it would all be confidential. But like I said there are other people at school I can talk to.

Edited to fix some misplaced typing

Well, SI is addictive. So even after its need has passed, the addiction is still there.

This is why it's best to avoid it - because it'll continue to get more addictive the more that you do it.

Shame that your parents were so not-understanding. That's not very helpful.

Archived