CrazyBoards.org

Med Cocktail with Alcohol?

Hello, I'm new here, but I'm not new to depression. I've been on meds for 4 years but never this many. I just turned 21, so while I want to go out and have a few drinks, I'm constantly worried that something's going to go wrong (like a seizure). I know alcohol use with antidepressants is a no-no, but I asked my pdoc, and she said it was fine as long as it wasn't a daily occurrence.

Basically what I'm trying to ask is with my current cocktail (which I'm not pleased with), can I go out and have a few drinks?

20mg Lexapro

20mg Cymbalta

5mg Abilify

100mg Topamax

450mg Wellbutrin

My main concern is the Wellbutrin and its link with seizures.

Thank you smile.gif

I'm mostly concerned about the Topamax, and the fact that you're young and haven't learned how to pace yourself yet. That last one is the biggest problem.

On the plus side, since you don't seem to have much if any experience with alcohol, you won't be expecting things to happen in any particular way. People who liked drinking before starting meds will often try to drink the same way while on medication, which usually doesn't work.

The safest thing to do, of course, is to not drink. This applies to unmedicated people too. But if you do decide to drink, take it slow. Have ONE drink and wait an hour or two, so you know how it affects you. Then take no more than two drinks an hour, depending on how it affects you. And do it with people you know and trust.

If your meds are making you tired, skip the alcohol.

Whatever you think you'll drink when you go out, have one at home with someone around to see how it affects you. If you are fine but think you'll have two, have that at home first. Don't have more than a couple drinks on occassion. It's a good rule. Lots of meds effect your liver which compounds the problems caused by alcohol.

The Wellbutrin warning is for excessive alcohol. So, don't drink excessively.

Topamax actually has a warning to not drink alcohol because of concommitment central nervous system depression. That means it will make you drowsy and tired and slow your CNS which includes breathing. Alcohol does the same. Since you pdoc says it's okay, I assume you are on a relatively low dose and not overly sedated.

• 4 weeks later...

Just want to tack on my experience to all of the very good info above... Drinking tends to make me feel like complete shit the next day, potential hangover aside... Probably because alcohol itself acts as a depressant. This is a much bigger problem for me when I'm not medicated, but still causes me issues when I am medicated. My anxiety tends to be through the roof (which makes me feel like I'm being punished for the anxiety aleviating effects of the alcohol the night before! lol - that's not logical or true, just how it makes me feel) And it makes my depression super bad. Even if I don't get smashed & am completely well behaved & I & everyone around me has a great time, the next day I am consumed by thoughts & feelings that everyone hates me.

Needless to say, I don't really drink much anymore...

I don't say this to scare you - but to just be aware of this potential after-effect, so that if it does happen to you, you don't freak out & think you're really losing your shit etc etc. Best remedy if it happens, sleep it off & try not to let yourself get too worked up over it... It will wear off.

Also - Auroch's suggestion of doing a test run at home with a trustworthy friend is supurb.

• 4 weeks later...

I drink occasionally on my meds (Prozac, Xanax, Lithium, Geodon) and refuse to drive even after one drink. (I am small, alcohol hits me hard!) I know my pdoc tells me not to drink, but I'll have a few occasionally if I'm not driving. If your doc says its alright, do what a few people have said, have a drink and see how it affects you. Lots of sleep, lots of fluids the next day. Don't go overboard. :)

Archived