CrazyBoards.org

A young fellow I care about massively overconsumed alcohol to the extent of requiring hospitalization.

Yes, his blood alcohol leave was very high.

But he displayed very odd symptoms unlike anything I have ever seen in a drunk before.

Clear, rapid unslurred speech which is unusual in the very drunk.

Continuous flow of swear word, swear word, vaguely friendly comment to unseen other, swear word, ineffectual fending off type words, swear word, ....... repeated with slight variations and without recognition of anyone no matter how familiar.

Agitated, limbs shaking. Uncoordinated. Eyes unfocused, failed to recognise anyone, talking to imaginary person.

This flow continued for over 4 hours unabated until he fell unconscious.

He doesn't recollect the preceding 32 hours at all.

I'm no expert in these matters, but he didn't look/sound like any drunk I have seen.

So my guess it's alcohol AND something.

The question is Which Something? Maybe "Kronik", one of these do call "legal high"s?

Maybe something else.

Any guesses?

Did the hospital do a drug test?

Do you want to know because you want to try it?

We suspect that it could be any number of things, really. But if your answer to the second question is "yes" then we're not going to hypothesize for you.

I think it is completely pointless to speculate what else he 'might' have been taking. However, never underestimate a drunkard.

I have a buddy (non-MI) who gave up drinking after a similar incident. He went on a week long vacation with his brother. Made two airline flights and only remembers getting on the first airplane and getting off the second a week later.

It's called a "Bender". ;)

a.m.

A young fellow I care about massively overconsumed alcohol to the extent of requiring hospitalization.

Yes, his blood alcohol leave was very high.

But he displayed very odd symptoms unlike anything I have ever seen in a drunk before.

Clear, rapid unslurred speech which is unusual in the very drunk.

Continuous flow of swear word, swear word, vaguely friendly comment to unseen other, swear word, ineffectual fending off type words, swear word, ....... repeated with slight variations and without recognition of anyone no matter how familiar.

Agitated, limbs shaking. Uncoordinated. Eyes unfocused, failed to recognise anyone, talking to imaginary person.

This flow continued for over 4 hours unabated until he fell unconscious.

He doesn't recollect the preceding 32 hours at all.

I'm no expert in these matters, but he didn't look/sound like any drunk I have seen.

So my guess it's alcohol AND something.

The question is Which Something? Maybe "Kronik", one of these do call "legal high"s?

Maybe something else.

Any guesses?

In my uneducated theory, his withdrawals started getting in the way of his good time. Perhaps it is co-morbid with something icky..

was he drunk and doing this, or doing this after he was out of the hospital and his blood alcohol level was back down? if it was afterwards, i'd assume withdrawal. if you think he's lying and abusing something, lots of things legal and not can present like that. i've seen kids whacked on cough syrup acting like that, for instance.

are you just wondering for curiosity's sake, or is there something else making you worry about him? nothing wrong with wanting to satisfy curiosity, i'd wonder too if i saw someone go through that (who i didn't know was an alcoholic). it's just that it's anybody's best guess unless he gets a blood test.

• 2 weeks later...

It'd be almost impossible to tell. Can you get the medical

staff to do a few tests? There's a couple of drugs that could cause this effect without alcohol (namely acid or ice) but who's to say if he's had a cocktail? It could have been a combination.

Best advice, find out from the Dr. I hope your friend recovers well and gets back on track.

Archived