CrazyBoards.org

Ever feel like you were born in the wrong century?

I always feel alien to the current world. I always tell my mom and friend that I think I was not supposed to be born in this century. I feel that my hypervigilance must of served some sort of purpose many, many centuries ago. I feel like the century that we currently live in is to busy, loud and fast for me to deal with. My mind takes in stimuli at an extreme rate. I just believe that it must of served some purpose back in the day.

Anyone else feel like they weren't really meant to be born in this century or is it just me and my crazy thoughts?

Is this feeling of being in the wrong century the core of your depression? I do hope that you are in therapy. Therapy has been the best treatment for my species of anxiety and panic. I suppose that I am a pragmatist herein: I cannot alter either where or when I was born, so I try to make the best of it. When I was dissatisfied with where I was living I formulated a plan and moved to a quieter, more rural, and less busy area.

No this isn't the core of my depression and anxiety. It's just something I think about at times. I have been to therapy when I got out of the mental hospital and absolutely hated it. It really didn't help me at all. You know what helps me (besides my mom, who should of become a shrink becasue she is that good) is my current psychiatrist. He is so cool and understanding. Doesn't talk to me like I am a fragile flower, he talks to me like a man to another man. Hell, half the time he is cussing and telling me about his problems. It may sound unorthodox being treating by a swearing shrink who half the time tells me all about his problems but out of the 10 or so shrinks I have seen, he is my absolutely favorite. I told him I thought he was really cool and that I liked his style and he told me, "Why should I talk to you like a baby, you are person just like me.". I hate when shrinks talk to me like I am a baby.

If I had the finacial means to move, I would. I would move back to Humboldt County where I once lived for a year. It was the nicest place, strangers say hello when you pass by, tress everywhere, the giant redwoods only a few miles away and next to the ocean. It didn't get any better than that. I would love to move back but I am currently unemployed and waiting on SSA to decide if I qualify for disability. If I do qualify I think I am moving back to Humboldt County.

So no one else feels like they don't fit in with this current fast paced century?

No this isn't the core of my depression and anxiety. It's just something I think about at times.

But yet you posted your query in the depression forum. It seems then that there must be at least a peripheral connection between being born in the wrong century and your depression.

As for "affording" to move to a different locale, that takes planning, commitment to the plan, flexibility, and a strong desire. If living elsewhere would better serve you psychologically how can you afford not to set a goal of moving?

Guest Vapourware

Sometimes I have problems with dealing with our current, fast-paced world. I think it's not an isolated feeling; I remember reading that the pace of living nowadays, in the Western world at least, is a contributor to stress in lots of people. It's a feeling of constantly being on the move, having obligations, and IMO most importantly, not having enough free time in daily life to just take a breather and enjoy living. I feel like there's almost a feeling that you have to be doing something.

Although I'm not sure if I want to live in another century, because I don't think I can live without 21st century conveniences. I do make a conscious effort to slow down my life and allow myself that personal free space during the day and give myself at least one day a week where I just veg out without feeling guilty.

I guess I posted my query in the depression forum because I didn't know where else to put it. Honestly, it doesn't make me depressed to think I was born in the wrong century. It doesn't make me depressed because I think that being hypervigilant served a purpose many centuries ago.

Your right, it does take commitment, flexibility and a strong desire to move.. however, I do not like to get my hopes up and plan such a move now when I am living on unemployment. I am waiting for SSA to make their decision to see if I qualify for permanent disability. Then I will start planning if I qualify. And if I don't qualify then I don't know. I can't imagine working with the symptoms I have now, but if I have to work then I will just take some extra Ativan the first few days of work and make myself do it.

Although I'm not sure if I want to live in another century, because I don't think I can live without 21st century conveniences. I do make a conscious effort to slow down my life and allow myself that personal free space during the day and give myself at least one day a week where I just veg out without feeling guilty.

Being the old broad that I am, I know all about chopping wood, outdoor bathrooms, unpaved roads, unheated school rooms, not having the convenience of a telephone, so, YES, we live in a miraculous time: here we are Vapour, you in Australia and me in the USA speaking in real time. Amazing!

Further, without the internet and affordable PC/Macs our knowledge of the world would be limited and isolating.

I have learned not to feel guilty about my quiet, contemplative lifestyle and you know I salute your for your veg out days!

Guest rabies1313

There are many times i come to think on this same thing. Because i believe in past lives and such i think it has something to do with that. I feel a connection with other eras and not to many with this one.

I often wonder what it would be like to live in a calmer and less fast-paced century. Less stress would be really good for me.

But then equally I am glad I actually live in the 21st century. In any other century I would have probably just been locked up and ignored, without any medication to help me manage my problems and live the way I want to.

Sometimes I wish I was born before the earth was really fully explored, developed and then slowly destroyed. I have these magical thoughts of being the very first one to ever step through this forest glen, the first one to stumble into a hidden lake. No roads, no buildings, no cars.

Sometimes I wish I was born just a decade earlier so I could have really been a hippie, went to Woodstock, lived off the grid.

I don't really believe in past lives but I have always wondered if I was an afro-caribbean man who lived on Barbados.

Not a feeling that I have, but more a logical assessment: maybe I was born a century too early. The current understanding of the human brain is still in its infancy in so many ways. A hundred years from now they might have some 'miracle' treatments for depression and anxiety.

Very good point!

We haven't genetically "caught up" to modern living, really. Our digestive systems haven't fully caught up to agriculture, so a central nervous system that is poorly suited for a high-tech, fast-paced life is not that unusual, IMHO. Some of us have more difficulty than others adapting to a lifestyle that doesn't fit our genes very well.

I try to minimize exposure to the stuff I don't like - I don't go to concerts or loud places very often, and keep my lifestyle low-key except for work (kind of mandatory). My hobbies beyond computers tend to be older in style. It helps a bit.

I think a lot of people feel out of place and it isn't necessarily even a sign of mental illness.

tangentially related diversion:

I think I will soon quit my job because my boss is more trouble than he's worth. Other people at work aren't quitting, but they agree he can really be a jerk too. Of course, they have kids and mortgages and buy cars on credit and I don't. (If it makes you feel better, I bought the car I drive now for $4000 in 1998 or so. Probably the car worth the least in the lot. But why chain yourself to a jerk just to have a shiny car.))

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. I often feel that I belong in the early 20th century (I was born in 1995)... so, I guess that's the same century, but a completely different time period nonetheless. Maybe late 19th century.

I have no desire to be born when hygiene widespread wasn't valued. dry.gif

I often fantasize about living life in a different time/place, even though I am highly aware that I idealize the conditions of whenever I wish to experience. I just accept that is how I am, and yes there is an element of escaping my present reality, I am not worried about it being harmful.

There is a movie about a girl who desires to live her every current moment as if she is in the 1800's, she wears the elaborate dresses and gear. It alienates her from her modern day surroundings. She meets someone totally opposite from her and thy become friends. In the movie she is always talking about how if she lived back then live would be this and that way.

I wish to live in a mud/thatch hut in Africa or provincial France or Italy or the 40's or my favorite Sahara Desert w/ the Tourag or Bedouin....none of these places/times would be as pleasant as I imagine them to be. I guess it is good it is just left to my imagination.

Unless.......

Edited by gonenative

The reason I know I was born in the right century is that I almost died from antibiotic resistant nephritis, I was hospitalized for over a 10 days. They ended up using a triple antibiotic cocktail to finally stop it, but it took them 5 days to find the right combination. If I had been born in 1900, I would have died when I was 25.

No this isn't the core of my depression and anxiety. It's just something I think about at times. I have been to therapy when I got out of the mental hospital and absolutely hated it. It really didn't help me at all. You know what helps me (besides my mom, who should of become a shrink becasue she is that good) is my current psychiatrist. He is so cool and understanding. Doesn't talk to me like I am a fragile flower, he talks to me like a man to another man. Hell, half the time he is cussing and telling me about his problems. It may sound unorthodox being treating by a swearing shrink who half the time tells me all about his problems but out of the 10 or so shrinks I have seen, he is my absolutely favorite. I told him I thought he was really cool and that I liked his style and he told me, "Why should I talk to you like a baby, you are person just like me.". I hate when shrinks talk to me like I am a baby.

If I had the finacial means to move, I would. I would move back to Humboldt County where I once lived for a year. It was the nicest place, strangers say hello when you pass by, tress everywhere, the giant redwoods only a few miles away and next to the ocean. It didn't get any better than that. I would love to move back but I am currently unemployed and waiting on SSA to decide if I qualify for disability. If I do qualify I think I am moving back to Humboldt County.

So no one else feels like they don't fit in with this current fast paced century?

]If you must live in Humboldt

Look North,The parks give you ample space to get lost in,

The pace is slower,less distractions,

unless you have other more personal reasons to live there.

I was born in Southern Humboldt,

if you have pleasent memories

of the county,don't try to find them now.

Between the Clear-cut logging,the dopers,

I watched it mostly die.

Negative,hell yes,

do I miss,standing in the sun,

drinking coffee,while the solid grey wall sits on Scotia

Ooh,yes.

I'm not in the mood to go on about this,

PM me at your peril :lol:

It's not my favorite subject anymore.

However,it's your move

Stasis