CrazyBoards.org

As my signature shows, I am taking this meds for about 2 weeks and half (seroquel and wellbutrin) and 1 week of depakote. But I feel so sleepy, I can't even walk in my house because I feel so tired that I have to stay in bed always. Even sleeping 14 hours I wake up feeling sleepy. So the doc said with 15 days all this things will go away, but I am afraid this effects will not pass. I feel like a living dead lol.

hey,

Seroquel and Depakote together - I'm not surprised you're feeling groggy.

I don't know about fifteen days, but it should fade with time. I'm on Seroquel, and I was exhausted on it at first, but now I can even take a dose in the morning or at midday and not collapse.

As a sidenote - you are taking them both at night, right? because that helps.

I kinda feel the wellbutrin its much like a placebo. My sex desire its almost gone, and when not gone, its feel really weird; when I not taking this meds the desire its normal.

Yes I take both at night, the wellbutrin in the morning. But like I said, I feel like a zombie. Having really weird dreams too.

Wait, are you saying you think the wellbutrin is cutting your libido, or, are you taking it to boost your libido and don't think it's working? The Depakote is more likely to be killing your libido, if you meant the former.

And the zombie feeling will either pass, or it won't. And if it won't, it might mean that this combo isn't for you.

But 2.5 weeks doesn't guarantee you will be over side effects. I usually give it a full 6 week try out, unless it is something unbearable, or the med causes a paradoxical effect, like Klonopin does (I fly into rages).

I dunno if it is depakote or the wellbutrin that it is killing my libido, but I do know that I still feel depressed. The only thing diferent its that I am so zombie-like now that I don't even have the energy to think on suicide.

Yes, the wellbutrin its a placebo, at least now. Maybe with time will start working...

I can't speak for Depakote or Wellbutrin, as I have never been on these.

But I have been on Seroquel for 2 weeks now (first week @300mg, now @600mg). The first couple of days I could not get out of bed until the middle of the following afternoon, but that probably served me right for taking it at 11pm. Now I take it at 10:30pm and for me this has given better results. Overall, I have been less sedated on the 600mg. But I know people on CB have also said the sedation is less at higher doses. Now, I still have the odd day where I get up at lunchtime. But I'm entitled to occasional duvet days. Overall, for me the sedation has lessened as my body has gotten used to the meds.

But the annoying thing about meds and side effects is that there isn't always a common ground. One person might do really well and have relatively few side effects, whereas someone else might have really bad side effects that are worse than the original illness (this is what I had on a past AD). It is all individual. If you feel that your meds are making your life a misery, then talk to your pdoc. If it is just annoying, then give it a bit more time and if it is still bad in a few weeks then also talk to your pdoc.

for me, i was tired and a little "stoned" or something at first on wellbutrin. it did wear off after a few weeks and to my surprise, gave me much needed energy and motivation. hang in there, it will probably pass.

i take the same amount of seroquel to sleep. some people still feel groggy in the morning from it, but i don't anymore. again, that took a week or so i think. but i take mine earlier at night, around 9.

I'm on Wellbutrin, and Wellbutrin doesn't help me one bit. It is a placebo for me except it made me tired and irratible during my first week on it. Now it just makes me tired. Also I cannot take Wellbutrin at 300 mgs because of the side effects. It certainly doesn't help my libido. Doesn't hurt it, but doesn't help it either (can't hurt something that doesn't exist).

I agree with what others have posted. 50 mgs of Seroquel is good for nothing but insomnia. You should talk to your pdoc about getting the dose raised or changing it. I don't take Seroquel, but I too am under the impression that it is less sedating at higher doses.

I took Depakote, but only for a month because it made me constantly eat. I don't remember it making me overly sleepy though.

As my signature shows, I am taking this meds for about 2 weeks and half (seroquel and wellbutrin) and 1 week of depakote. But I feel so sleepy, I can't even walk in my house because I feel so tired that I have to stay in bed always. Even sleeping 14 hours I wake up feeling sleepy. So the doc said with 15 days all this things will go away, but I am afraid this effects will not pass. I feel like a living dead lol.

I would give it a chance. It probably will get better. I'm sorry you are having a rough time. When your doc tests your depakote level they may change the amount you take. It does take a little bit to adjust to meds. I hope you feel better in 15 days.

I'm on Wellbutrin, and Wellbutrin doesn't help me one bit. It is a placebo for me except it made me tired and irratible during my first week on it. Now it just makes me tired. Also I cannot take Wellbutrin at 300 mgs because of the side effects. It certainly doesn't help my libido. Doesn't hurt it, but doesn't help it either (can't hurt something that doesn't exist).

I agree with what others have posted. 50 mgs of Seroquel is good for nothing but insomnia. You should talk to your pdoc about getting the dose raised or changing it. I don't take Seroquel, but I too am under the impression that it is less sedating at higher doses.

I took Depakote, but only for a month because it made me constantly eat. I don't remember it making me overly sleepy though.

I think you are overreacting... I am starting to feel the effects of the meds, and I am not so depressive has I was before. But btw, I have rapid cycle. So depakote its really the good choice for me. Seroquel its good for sleep too.

i at one time was wearing your shoes and i absolutely insisted to my pdoc that he give me ritilin or something like it and i have been on ritilin fast release for a while now and i feel better i'm awke and not sleeping all the time

Just 50mg of Seroquel will sedate you that much. And, at 50mg, it's not going to do much but make you sleep. That's not a therapeutic dose for anything.

Not quite true. If you look at the Ki values for quetiapine and specifically its active metabolite norquetiapine:

http://dailymed.nlm....1375#nlm34090-1

then, you will see the affinity for the 5-HT2A receptors is moderate and strong respectively. This means that half the idealized 5-HT2A and D2 blockade of AAPs ( http://focus.psychia...rint/2/1/48.pdf ) is happening after the quetiapine is metabolized into norquetiapine. I have found via experimentation with dosages of Zyprexa that a 5-HT2A blockade exerts an antipsychotic effect without quelling mania. While low doses of Abilify have shown me that a D2 and D3 partial-agonism/blockade has an anti-manic effect (loss of racing thoughts).

What this means is that for some people Seroquel could potentially have an antipsychotic effect without an anti-manic effect at low doses. Low doses of Zyprexa (1.25-2.5 mg per day) unquestionably do this while leaving me manic as all out get.

The problem here is one also gets the sedative-hypnotic effect of the histamine blockade with Seroquel which low doses of Zyprexa do not have. The magic of dealing with side effects is learning to read Ki values (receptor affinities) and careful titration of dosage to get the desired effect.

Just 50mg of Seroquel will sedate you that much. And, at 50mg, it's not going to do much but make you sleep. That's not a therapeutic dose for anything.

Not quite true. If you look at the Ki values for quetiapine and specifically its active metabolite norquetiapine:

http://dailymed.nlm....1375#nlm34090-1

then, you will see the affinity for the 5-HT2A receptors is moderate and strong respectively. This means that half the idealized 5-HT2A and D2 blockade of AAPs ( http://focus.psychia...rint/2/1/48.pdf ) is happening after the quetiapine is metabolized into norquetiapine. I have found via experimentation with dosages of Zyprexa that a 5-HT2A blockade exerts an antipsychotic effect without quelling mania. While low doses of Abilify have shown me that a D2 and D3 partial-agonism/blockade has an anti-manic effect (loss of racing thoughts).

What this means is that for some people Seroquel could potentially have an antipsychotic effect without an anti-manic effect at low doses. Low doses of Zyprexa (1.25-2.5 mg per day) unquestionably do this while leaving me manic as all out get.

The problem here is one also gets the sedative-hypnotic effect of the histamine blockade with Seroquel which low doses of Zyprexa do not have. The magic of dealing with side effects is learning to read Ki values (receptor affinities) and careful titration of dosage to get the desired effect.

Maybe it could, but realistically, it doesn't seem to. A lot of people around here have tried to do what you're trying with the K values and what not, and it's never really gotten them very far. The relationships between those affinities and actual therapeutic effects are far from linear.

<snip>

Maybe it could, but realistically, it doesn't seem to. A lot of people around here have tried to do what you're trying with the K values and what not, and it's never really gotten them very far. The relationships between those affinities and actual therapeutic effects are far from linear.

Being med sensitive Ki values tend to give me good qualitative knowledge of what to expect as I titrate a dose upwards. They explain a lot of qualitative features and side effects of drugs. But I also have a problem of being so aware of changes to how I feel that I often am unaware of how I feel.

The fact that the Ki of Abilify for the D2 receptor is 0.34 which is much less than the Ki of the dopamine( itself which is ~2 IIRC). This is explains the sudden and harsh return of symptomology when Abilify wears off. It also explains why a 20 mg sublingual bolus dosage of Abilify will quell an episode of paranoia in 20 minutes. This tight binding of Abilify to 5-HT1A receptor by Abilify explains why switching from risperidone to Abilify while taking buspirone caused me to get some nasty side effects from the buspirone.

The Ki values mixed with Zyprexa have helped me isolate the serotonergic effects from the dopiminergic effects due to the strong antihistamine effect that occurs prior to dopamine blockade. This tells me that when I lose it and need to come down, that I need to get to somewhere I can sleep before taking the 15-20 mg of Zyprexa Zydis it takes to bring me down.

The Ki value of 2.9 for 5-HT2A for norquetiapine is very significant as it is an order of magnitude smaller than the next receptor hit meaning that norquetiapine hits 5-HT2A hard and long. Mixing that with the 7 hour half life of quetiapine and you can imagine 8 hours of rest creating a reasonably potent blockade of the 5-HT2A receptors from waking until late in the day. Add in the 12 hour half life of norquetiapine and you get round the clock blockade on 5-HT2A after 2 days of dosing IR quetiapine due to the 19 hour biphasic half life.

The reality is that the relationship between Ki values and response is grossly nonlinear. But that is due to the fact that the receptor complex itself can change how a ligand binds to a receptor and many other factors. But they are still currently the best indicator we have of what to expect from a dosage of a med when it is mixed in with the pharmacokinetics. And pharmacodynamic drug-drug interactions are also important. Buspirone is on par with diazepam in terms of anxiolytic effect when I am taking Abilify. Buspirone is a sugar pill when mixed with Zyprexa in my brain.

Nonetheless, those of us who tweak our medications with our pdocs acceptance can benefit from this. This actually has me interested in trying it as a add on as I find dopamine antagonism tends to create cognitive issues for me including slow thought (I have nonstop racing thoughts) and serious issues with inspiration leading to motivational problems ending in zombification.

The problem with norquetiapine is that it binds severely hard to the H1 receptor and that antihistamine response can make it hard to sense any other changes in our minds. But clinical trials have shown adequate efficacy as an antidepressant add on at lower doses lending some credibility to my hypothesis that the serotonergic effects of norquetiapine do have effect. I am seriously considering trialing it to test this.

• 2 weeks later...

So now I am taking only Seroquel. 200mg XR.

So, I have to admit that I feel pretty good. Lots of changes, my concentration it is outstanding now.

But I feel that my libido its a bit low, but any weird sexual thoughts that I used to have are thank god gone too.

So, I guess that its better that nothing.

Archived