CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Mim

"Meet Pretty Chinese Girls"

This was an ad I saw at the bottom of the CB homepage just now. It's terrible, I know, but given that self-esteem is such a central topic here, my mind made a six degrees-type connection, and unfortunately I found a kind of black amusement in it. Is it just my perception, or does the internet sometimes seem like one big game of chicken?

:cussing::cussing::cussing: This is analogous to the weight loss ads we find on women's rights and ED recovery websites.

http://blog.angryasianman.com/2009/05/hey-loser-find-your-beautiful-asian.html AAM posts the most famous one. Gross.

Whenever I see this, I question all of my relationships and all of my sexual encounters. How many times did I get lucky because I'm Asian? How many times did I fall in love with someone who was only fulfilling a fantasy? I'm kind of chubby for an Asian, so how can I compare to the archetypal 80-pound Maggie G lookalike?

Yeah, yeah, I'm not Chinese. But Chinese, Japanese, Mongolian... same shit, different pile :rolleyes: I'm so used to small acts of orientalism that I'm actually impressed with strangers who greet me with "Konnichiwa!" (at 6pm, no less). At least they didn't say "Ni-hao."

One time, my Auntie was on a bus, and someone went out of his way to tell her: "I hate Japs." Auntie said, "at least he got the right country..."

This website is very, very therapeutic. http://www.bigbadchinesemama.com/

I honest believe that those ads are based on the websites you visited lately. Maybe you visited a dating website? I know that recently I've been looking at some netbooks and tablets so what shows up in the ads? Why a nextagg add for netbooks and tablets, of course.

Zappos ads are following me, and even showing shoes I purchased or shoes I looked at on-line.

JT, I would typically agree, but I haven't visited a dating website since college. That's part of the reason I found it so hideously ironic. This is pretty much the only website I regularly visit, apart from fark.

@imitationofself, I'm not even Asian and this annoys me. Of course, I'm also annoyed that people call me by my sisters' names despite the fact that we dress nothing alike, and all have different interests. -_- Seriously, though, there are clear differences among Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese...I'm dumbfounded when people screw this up. Some of my nieces and nephews are half Laotian. They are frequently confused for half Japanese in spite of their names.

edit: oh my goodness, that website is great! Thanks for the laugh! :D

Edited by Oddjob

Mental health ads are normally what I get, too. I must have visited some site or another that led me to it, but damned if I know what. All I did was checked news, local weather, and CB. Haha. Who knows?

JT, I would typically agree, but I haven't visited a dating website since college.

I confess to visiting one a month ago.

(though most of the e-mail ads I get these days are for stair lifts and dentures...)

This was not because I was hopeful, but because I was annoyed by repeated TV ads where this company seemed to be promising deeply compatible matches for everyone.

Went on, did their long profile questionnaire, put in a generous travel range limit. and got...

Yes, as I suspected. Not one candidate match. "Unfortunately this occasionally happens" commiserated the website.

I will have to think back and see when I last believed an advertisement.

Chris.

I used to be kind of busy on okcupid.com, but only because I had a bunch of message-tag buddies there. I never scored a date, nor wanted one. I haven't visited there in ages now. I find the TV commercials have actually turned me off the idea of dating sites in general. It's all become midway-like huckstering, really.

...or maybe that's my cynicism showing. ;)

... Acupuncture!?!??! THAT'S RACIST!

:lol: You've officially made my day with your comments. I'm glad I posted this thread last night, after all.

No can do...my check got delayed and won't be here until Monday.

I suppose an IOU is out of the question. :lol:

No can do...my check got delayed and won't be here until Monday.

I suppose an IOU is out of the question. :lol:

I will "make your night" for 15 dollars plus 500% interest! :D

You can pay as LATE as you want ;)

All right, competition! Who's prepared to offer the best deal here?

Chinese? I am offered sexy Indonesian Women, Russian Women or "Older Dating: Australia". I am female, 22, and straight and the only person who uses this computer. Strange.

I have to admit, I don't even look at the ads and just filter them out. I have a dating one currently though.