CrazyBoards.org

Ok so I understand that seroquel is an antipsychotic medication. I've read up this medication and I have a good understanding of how it works. I've checked out the pins here on the forum about it as well.

I remember a discussion my pdoc and I had at least a year ago. he mentioned that seroquel has some antidepressant effects to it. I understand that that's a very general statement but is this true? If so how does it act or what's it's mechanism of action that makes seroquel behave in this manner?

I don't know, but I intend on asking a similar question in the future about a different drug. I'm just waiting for the holiday to be over and everyone back on board.

Now I don't take Seroquel, but I think that the antidepressant effects of Seroquel come from its action on seratonergic receptors. It's possible that at low doses it blocks a few dopamine receptors which raises the overall dopamine level in the brain, but that effect would decrease as the dosage increases because there are fewer dopamine receptors to take advantage of the available dopamine and by down regulation of dopamine. Back to what I said before - I don't know. It's just that I've been doing a lot of thinking along these lines about another med. I don't think anyone knows for sure what the mechanism is. But Seroquel has been found to have antidepressant effects in the clinical setting.

From RxList

The mechanism of action of SEROQUEL, as with other drugs having efficacy in the treatment of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, is unknown. However, it has been proposed that the efficacy of SEROQUEL in schizophrenia and its mood stabilizing properties in bipolar depression and mania are mediated through a combination of dopamine type 2 (D2) and serotonin type 2 (5HT2) antagonism. Antagonism at receptors other than dopamine and 5HT2 with similar receptor affinities may explain some of the other effects of SEROQUEL.

Ok so I understand that seroquel is an antipsychotic medication. I've read up this medication and I have a good understanding of how it works. I've checked out the pins here on the forum about it as well.

I remember a discussion my pdoc and I had at least a year ago. he mentioned that seroquel has some antidepressant effects to it. I understand that that's a very general statement but is this true? If so how does it act or what's it's mechanism of action that makes seroquel behave in this manner?

It is potentially antagonism of the 5-HT2A receptors by norquetiapine, Seroquel's active metabolite. There is more info at:

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/45720-so-will-this-go-away/page__pid__478041#entry478041

Archived