CrazyBoards.org

Tired of Hiding My Illness

Hi,

I am 30 something, a female, and a recovering academic who left because PhD course work does not mesh well with a personality that crumbles in the face of un-relenting stress. I am recently married to an amazing man with Major Depression (who consequently doesn't try to "fix" me and can comprehend that bipolar does not equal serial killer). I was misdiagnosed for 7 years until an involuntary hospitalization for suicidal impulses yielded the bipolar diagnosis. Apparently, it is not normal to routinely stay up for three consecutive nights writing furiously or cleaning my apartment, nor is running until I tear a hamstring. Who knew?

My prescribing APRN is nothing short of a God send.

I would like to have a family but am terrified of postpartum symptoms and going off my meds.

In the irony of all ironies, I work in commercial real estate management and one of my Tenants is an in-patient psychiatric facility. Consequently, I am forced to hide my illness from everyone I encounter due to the pervasive prejudice openly expressed by all of my co-workers. I am hoping to connect with people who can comprehend that my illness does not define every aspect of my existence (and I like snarky humor).

I like kitties, acceptance letters, sugar free red bull, abandoned knitting projects, and baked goods.

Welcome to CB :) I have two kitties touching me as we speak.

Check out the rules when you have a chance, and feel free to PM a mod or admin if you have any questions. And don't forget to check out our blogs and chat room if you're into that.

Hope you like it here :)

Hello hello, and welcome.

Check out the Pregnancy board if you're interested in more info on having babies. We have some members who have been through it (myself included), and lived to tell about it.

Archived