CrazyBoards.org

should i talk to someone about this?

I've always had nighttime hallucinations. They don't bother me much. I realize I'm still dreaming and go back to sleep. However, the past few months have seen an increase in my nighttime hallucinations. There has been no increase in my meds, no change in diet, and no significant change in habits.

Here's what has me worried: the other night I woke up to see a blinking red light on my roof, at first I freaked a little because there should be no blinking red light in my room at all, but when I moved my eye, the red light moved as well. Whew, just a hallucination. But then I wondered, why a blinking red light? Then I noticed that something cell-like covered the room (like a skin) and that did not move with my eyes, but I still knew it for a hallucination. I shrugged it off and went back to sleep.

When I woke up, I realized that the blinking red light was the fourth such hallucination I've had in as many months - the kind that moves with my eye. The other three have taken the form of bugs, two spiders and a bee. Now, I have floaters in my eyes, have for years, but it kinda worries me that now my hallucinations are acting like floaters. The skin-like hallucination is the third of this kind (one looked like gauze cloth covering everything) I've had in about four months. I normally do not hallucinate this often.

So, should I see an eye doctor? a neurologist? talk to my pdoc? (I have an appointment with the pdoc on Friday). Or just chalk it up to stress and move on?

I'd clue in the Pdoc, just to be safe. AND, it wouldn't hurt to go to the eye doctor - maybe you already go regularly, but many people do not - when really, people should be getting a yearly or so eye exam. There are a lot of health related things that can show up in an eye exam that seem unrelated to vision. (Sort of like certain health issues can be detected at the dentist even though it seems unrelated to teeth,)

I'm not sure I personally would go in there declaring hallucinations - that's up to you - but requesting a thorough annual eye exam & telling them you've had an increase in floaters should be sufficient ;)

Parasomnias are treated by the sleep medicine doctor. It should not be hard to find one give how frequent apnea is in the general population. I would mention them to your pdoc and if they are bothering you consider a referal to a sleep medicine doc.

nf

Archived