CrazyBoards.org

neverending tiredness

What do you do if you always have no energy/are tired? Its been a chronic problem. The medical issues were ruled out a few months ago, so its probably not that (anemia, thyroid, etc.). I recently went off effexorxr and kept the lamictal, but it wasn't any better when I was on both. I don't think its a mild depression...I really don't have other symptoms except some mild irritability/bitchiness (which is decreasing as I get used to no effexor, I think). Im just tired all the time and have no energy...sometimes i also get the benefit of difficulty falling asleep, but that isnt often. my gf noticed it (in addition to me always wondering about it) and mentioned that she hasn't really seen anyone our age who is similar, including some friends with mi and mi meds.

The only thing that really seems to help is a can of caffeinated diet coke...but that's a mixed bag b/c sometimes it can increase anxiety and it can cause issues with sleep if I take it too late in the day. Plus id rather not be drinking diet coke at 830am.

Anyone have thoughts on cause? Or solution? I've considered asking about provigil or something like that but don't know if there's something better.

I was actually going to suggest provigil. It has really helped me in the past. I always seem to be taken off of it for some reason or another, however and unfortunately. One of my friends is still on it though.

Or maybe get your thyroid tested again?

I have had the exact problem as you. I had all of the tests - even a sleep test- and everything was ok. The doctors kept telling me that it is likely to be psychogenic, but I kept on demanding new tests. To make a long story short, I honestly believe that it is possible for your brain to trick you into being tired. I don't know if that's depression or not, just the way the brain chemistry shakes out. Actually, I lost it for a while when I became more seriously depressed and then it came back in the form of apathy and lack of motivation

However, the others here have made great suggestions. If I were you, I would look into having a sleep study done. It's just one night spent in a "hospital" with a bunch of electrodes attached to your head.

One last question: do you have a lot of anxiety? One therapist suggested that my tiredness came from anxiety, saying it was like running an engine at full throttle with the brakes on.

whens the last time you had a blood test? i used to feel tired all the time myself. they gave me a blood test. found out i was vitamin d deficient. since ive been taking supplements ive noticed i have more energy.

This is fairly common and an easy test. The sleep study is a good idea, too.

Thanks everyone for all the useful ideas and suggestions.

I read over a list of depression symptoms (given sashasues comment) and thought that maybe there is something mild there after all. I haven't really experienced mild symptoms before (I was off meds both episodes and went from cluelessly "fine" to hospitalized...I am sure it was more gradual than that, but I missed it both times). So I hadn't thought about the wide range of possible symptoms...things I wasn't really considering like difficulty focusing on tasks, low motivation, etc. Add that to the irritability and what im told is some increased emotionalness (I hadn't noticed it, but trust my gf) and its not so strange to consider it possibly mental health related.

So pdocs recommendation was to bump lamictal up by 50 mg. His comment was that he was thinking about it anyway since I had gone off one antidepressant (the effexor), so why don't we see if it helps? He said that it can cause the sedation, as mentioned, but that I should notice if that happens.

Game plan is if the drug change doesn't take away the neverending tiredness, I will then check in with my gp to rerun the bloodwork to consider the wide range of things you all suggested...I didn't realize there were so many. I doubt that ALL of that has been checked! Im also adding my multivitamin back...I had forgotten about that recently. If that doesn't work, sleep study is a possibility, depending on cost.

I am going to be on vacation all next week, so it wont really provide a good comparison point, but I guess we will see over time.

Archived