CrazyBoards.org

why are "messiah" delusions so common?

was wondering if anybody had any theories/ideas as to why its so common for delusional people to believe that they are the messiah. ive had 2 psychotic mania episodes. the first time around i thought i was christ himself. the second time around i thought so again, but knew better to believe that it was impossible. so i settled for believing that i was like king solomon or an angel. its still kinda hazy.

during mania for me, my mind was like a bing commercial. i would think one thought and then think a thought related to that thought and so on and so on and so on until i was somewhere 180 degrees from where i started. the amazing thing was that it seemed to happen within a half a second. i was working on 2 hours of sleep a night for 2 or 3 weeks and i was all out of whack. but anyway thats a digression.

would love to hear anybodys thoughts on this subject. i had a therapy session for the first time not that long ago, and the pshrink brought it up. she said something to the effect of "what kind of things are going on in your life to make that happen."

i was reading different wikipedia articles on various types of mental illnesses (clicking around) and i found that believing yourself to be the messiah, or an important figure was a common symptom.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Vapourware

I think it might be due to the tendency towards grandiosity that BP brings when someone is in mania. When in mania, people tend to think highly of themselves and their abilities, so I don't think it would be a stretch for someone to think that they were the second coming of Christ or some other amazing figure.

*raises hand*

Agreed with the grandiosity hypothesis.

I often have the intrusive thought that I'm one of a group of messiahs.

However, I usually rationalize (I know, I know, this is going into spirituality here) that we are all messiahs in our own right, it just depends on how we live our lives... might be a good thought to entertain for anybody who has messianic delusions, honestly...

Grandiosity probably is part of it, but I think the wires get crossed in the religious parts of your brain. Why else the religious bent? Why not president? Lots of people who aren't religious, weren't brought up religious, don't believe in religion still can become deluded into believing they are a religious figure.Same goes with the other side and hell.

was wondering if anybody had any theories/ideas as to why its so common for delusional people to believe that they are the messiah. ive had 2 psychotic mania episodes. the first time around i thought i was christ himself. the second time around i thought so again, but knew better to believe that it was impossible. so i settled for believing that i was like king solomon or an angel. its still kinda hazy.

The absolute sense of perfection that comes with pure euphoric mania (delusional) tends to lend it itself to feeling godlike. My rational side knows I am not a god, but it is a pleasure to feel like one.

Grandiosity probably is part of it, but I think the wires get crossed in the religious parts of your brain. Why else the religious bent? Why not president? Lots of people who aren't religious, weren't brought up religious, don't believe in religion still can become deluded into believing they are a religious figure.Same goes with the other side and hell.

I am not remotely religious and a good solid dose of pure euphoric mania makes me feel like a god. That absolute perfection is an attribute of gods, not fallible humans.

I agree with grandios effect but how come he is gathering items from wikipedia and then there coming out during his mania. The only thing I can bring to the table during one of my mania psychosis I self diagnosed myself with having a tumor on my hypethylamis and I cant even spell it and I had got the whole thing from an episode of HOUSE is that similar???---dx:BP 1 with GAD and SAD , seroquil, lithium,effexor,trazadone,diazapam, and my new one deplin as soon as the free samples run out also I take andogel thats also new and work quite well.

i think you guys are right in that mania tends to make you feel all powerful. but then why not superman or something like that. superman is just about as well known as jesus christ but you dont hear about people saying "oh yeah, i thought i was superman" rofl.

id like to hear from somebody else who believed themself to be the messiah. wonder if they can recall what they were thinking.

for me it was like a giant blur. i can remember little details here and there but i was pretty much out of it. what kinda boggles my mind is how i can look back at it and see so clearly how i was just gone. but while i was going through it its as if somebody put a barrier around my brain keeping me from seeing reality.

i can remember believing i could talk to people with my mind. and then if i would be "talking" to somebody and they would move or whatever my mind would just as fast believe that i was the one responsible for them moving. it was like i created my own personal world where i was the all powerful. and no matter what happened around me my twisted mind would create a scenario by which it was my doing.

well thanks for you alls input anyway. interesting to see what folks think.

During episodes, I always recall the lines from James Taylor's "Shower the People":

"You can play the game,

you can act out the part,

but you know it wasn't written for you."

Maybe James didn't have this topic in mind when he wrote the song,

but it always has seemed apropos to me.

I feel somewhat messianic in manic episodes, but I've never actually thought I was anyone's savior.

Except perhaps, from time to time, my own.

id like to hear from somebody else who believed themself to be the messiah. wonder if they can recall what they were thinking.

I did as a teenager, but it was probably just me being a teenager. I didn't think I was Christ, but an entirely new Messiah. I think it was linked to the religious experiences I had as a teenager. As time went on I decided instead that I was just a prophet. But I was just being a typical teenager, and don't think it has anything to do with my psychosis dx.

strange, because that one manic delusion i had once was that i was virginia woolf. of course she was pretty cool but she wasn't god. i also had that delusion in dysphoric mania. (as if i ever got euphoric manias.. psh).

I totally get the god complex when I'm manic, or that my kid is Jesus and shit. totally.

I think for me it's not just the grandiosity but the supposed imagined powers. Superman can't read minds, he can't tell people's thoughts, he does not feel the universe is "all connected." The TV does not contain special messages just for him, urging him to save the world and whatnot. His powers have a very logical explanation. Mine come from outside me and then I'm all bubbly so like, yeah, I'm totally the second coming, because i want to do good for people! Give away my shit! Help the world be a better place. pus when you can see demons and talk to the dead on the other side (oh yes, I can and do). The odd thing is, the last time I went batshit I told my husband a lot of specific information about his ancestors that he has never told me, and since confirmed, and I literally have no other way of knowing that stuff, so, uh, I don't know what the answer is on that....

The problem is, it's all mixed in with a bunch of NOT so godlike stuff, too, so I am most definitely not the second coming in any way, shape or form. But for me, it's more than just the grandiosity, the delusions I have just seem to mix in well with the god stuff, yeah. It's a sort of logical explanation that fits well with a bunch of illogical shit that is going on in my brain. We do all try to organize information as best we can....

I'm kinda rooting for the hostility, lys. This is because I am not currently the messiah, heh.

Anna

I think a large part of it has to do with the fact that we are part of Western culture and Christianity (or some form of it) has been so dominant for so long.

I get to the point where I believe I am God in that I am willing my reality to exist moment by moment. The people are there because I will them to be, I am myself and in my body because I wish to be, physics/chemistry/etc work because I am willing them to do so, etc, etc.

I am a writer and I constantly fit this phrase (or some version of it) into my poems, etc. :

"This is the universe and this is how it works."

I digress, but here is the point:

Myself, Christianity, and even my understanding of BP and mental illness in general are all so well integrated with Western culture, it is only natural that my delusions of grandeur fit into that universe.

For the typical American, what is the highest position of power (especially when communicating your position to other people, who might be religious or might not)?

The answer is: God, and whatever form of God that seems suitable to you at the time. Jesus, Krishna, Cthulu, and so on and so forth.

What do you guys think?

I don't think I am the Messiah but I do have godlike powers. I have what's known as the Power of Influence. I am dead serious about this. It all started before 9/11 when I predicted it. I influenced it. I am not currently manic but I do have schizoaffective disorder according to the doctors and I don't believe them. In fact, I don't know why I don't know what I am feeling. It feels like there is a disconnection in my "brain" if you can call it that. What is a brain anyways? I feel so stupid. Recently my power of influence destroyed an alien planet by failing to change the course of a solar flare. I know this is hard to understand but I was just in the hospital and they believe I am schizoaffective as well. I don't know if they thought I was having a manic episode (I doubt it I sleep between 2-14 hours a day). My sleep is disturbed. I sleep both too much and too little. The aliens have populated other planets but this was their homeworld that I influenced the destruction of and I hate my powers. I am a powerful psychic but can't control it the predictions have to come in dreams or visions. Lately I have been hearing voices but that is rare for me. I love the fact that the hospital lowered my anti psychotics because it makes me happy. I don't like taking them. There is a prediction by someone that the world is going to end today. Don't worry it won't happen and you don't need psychic powers to see this person is wrong once again. He made the same prediction in 1994 but failed. I am currently tired. I slept so so last night. I am so not a morning person. At the hospital I kept getting up between 3 am- 5 am. I don't know if that was depression (early awakening). I just feel nothing. I want my power of influence to end.

Archived