CrazyBoards.org

I had my first colonscopy today and it wasn't bad at all in terms of pain and agony, or even recovering from the anasthesia. Have you had one (or more), and what did you think about it?

The prep the day before is the worst part, I think I probably got a tooth cavity from all the sugary crap I consumed, like Gatorade and hard candies, not to mention the prep solution itself.

The place I went uses the same kind of sedation that Michael Jackson's doctor used as a sleep medication, Propanol (or something like that). It works great, they give it via i.v., and it wears off really quickly. Afterwards I went to lunch and shopping with the friend who drove me, despite dire warnings from the doctor about going home to rest.

So sign yourself up for one if you haven't already, it's an important test to get if you're getting old like me.

Thanks for posting this. I think I am going to be getting one soon (internal hemorrhoids- exacerbated by my platelet count being low, so I'm not clotting properly), and I have been dreading the thought. Well, at least I will be getting ahead of the game-- I'm 40, and I think it is recommended after 50?

I had one and the worst part was definitely that crap they make you drink to flush out the system. I consumed only blue jello, blue gatorade, and blue popsicles, lots of fun until you see someone eating REAL food and you want it! I had no pain at all, didn't even feel like anything had been done.

(I had one due to unexplained and constant stomach pains, not age, if that matters to anyone!)

Edited by humanoid

Yep, Baboo and I have both had them, and he's due for one in a few weeks. I slept through the whole thing and woke up when they showed up with sandwiches and coffee! heh Actually, we went out and had a late breakfast that morning.

Easy peasey. I ate some broth to make me feel like I was eating something other than jello. I think I'm going to get Popsicles the next time. And I didn't drink Gatorade---I got one of the Crystal Light flavors that I like. I know it's artificial sweeteners, but all that Gatorade would send me into a diabetic coma!

olga

I have NOT had one yet. I am several years overdue, plus my uncle died of colon cancer. This is what is stopping me. I have very thin, delicate veins. Last time I was in the ER it was sheer torture when they placed an IV on the top of my hand. This was years ago and I still anguish over this.

Mind you I have experienced pain - gall bladder attack, ruptured ovarian cysts, but ALL I can think about is the thin skin on the top of my hand and being tortured. Not so worried about my ass.

Been there, done that, and have the photos to prove it. I have said that I am going to take one of those photos and have it imprinted on a t-shirt along a script saying that i am not always full of shit.

Like Olga I was rewarded with a nice lunch somewhere other than my own kitchen.

Just do IT.

ladybug, I had the same problem when I had surgery 10 or so years ago. After one nurse struggled for a while, I asked her to please go get the nurse on the unit who was a dab hand with the needle. There is always one who just has the touch to get it in the first time.

When I give blood, the veins in my inner arms slide back and forth, so again, I ask the person in charge to give me the best stabber she has. I've never had them refuse. (I tell them that if they don't get the needle in on the first try, I will either faint or throw up. They cooperate after I tell them what happens to me.)

Get your colonoscopy. Please. Colon cancer is no big deal if they catch it early.

olga

but ALL I can think about is the thin skin on the top of my hand and being tortured.

I know what you mean (though I have thick skin on my hands, imposssible to poke through). Sometimes hospital staff forget that you can have your IV placed in any surface vein, not just your hand. They only use the hand because it makes it easier for the patient to move around.

Please go get one. I'm not sure about heredity for colon cancer, but with most cancers, it is recommended that you absolutely get early checks if you have a family history.

Propofol. as a former vet tech, i saw this used for canine surgeries. it was good for a fairly easy wake-up, and quick recovery from general sedation.

Yes, bpladybug, sign yourself up. They put my i.v. in the elbow vein where they draw blood, so I'm sure you could request that. I've also had an i.v. on the inside of my wrist.

Colon cancer is the second most deadly cancer in the U.S. after lung cancer, but if you catch it early, it's curable. A colonoscopy beats the alternative, so don't let your fear get the best of you on this one, it's important.

ok, after my trip to Boulder, and after our big trip to Texas I will make an appointment with a GI doctor and tell her/him about my concerns with my hand.

I get my blood drawn a lot, at least four times a year. I use one particular Phlebotomist. I have followed her to three different locations in two towns. Now the Lab company has placed her in her own individual office just 7 mins from my home. She is great, she has never blown a vein, she almost never leaves a bruise and she causes no pain. She always uses hot packs on both my inner arms/elbows to prepare. Hot packs help a lot.

like everyone else, the prep was the worst part.

Edited by mammakanin

I have to have one. I am under 50, but my paternal grandfather and maternal aunt both had it. But a testament to the treatability of colon cancer early is that my grandfather had colon cancer in the early 1950s, and although he used a colostomy bag, died of something entirely different 15 years later, with not even the tiniest hint of a return of the cancer.

Do schedule it. I've had one as my mom has Khrone's (sp?) so I got one nice and young.

The prep before hand was definitely the worst part, the procedure itself was no biggie.

Just prepare to be near your toilet a great deal of the time, and be gagging a bit from that dreadful..... beverage/laxative. It's gross. Clear broth is a good idea. I wasn't so much worried about eating though, just about WHETHER I'd get through the solution, ugh.

I will do one again, when it is time.

Anna

ok

just worried about someone trying to put needles into the top of my hand

maybe I should schedule an appt and discuss that

meds, won't this wash all the lithium out of my body?

or overconcentrate it?

hmm

Edited by bpladybug

ladybug, the IV DOESN'T have to go into the top of your hand. They do that in hospitals because if you are in for a few days, it helps you to be mobile and it's easy for them to check. Ask if you can have the IV put in somewhere else. You will only have it in for a few hours, so they can put it in your arm or something.

This is a smokescreen, dear.

Call up and schedule it right NOW. Or Monday. heh

I'll give you a gold star if you do.......*big cheesy smile*

olga

ok

just worried about someone trying to put needles into the top of my hand

maybe I should schedule an appt and discuss that

meds, won't this wash all the lithium out of my body?

or overconcentrate it?

hmm

You'll need to have an initial appointment anyway before the procedure so they can go over your medical history, and tell you about what to expect the day of the colonoscopy. So you could ask then about the lithium, and tell them about your aversion to having i.v. needles in your hands.

I just came back from the hospital for a different procedure, and they also put the i.v. in my inner elbow. This was a different hospital than where I got the colonoscopy, so maybe they're getting away from hand i.v.s, or maybe it's just a Southern thang....

was gonna get one once and then I overheard the techs say "this will be fun", as in me with my ass in the air with a scope up it. hahahaha. One day I will get one.

I actually just asked my internist this week if I needed one yet. I have a family history of colon cancer, but no first degree relatives, so she told me when I was 50, I would get a sigmoidoscopy (is that the one that is more complete than the colonoscopy? That's the one, if so). DH has ulcerative colitis (in remission), and had to do the beverage deal, and he also told me it was worse than the procedure.