CrazyBoards.org

12 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

It's a good idea, if you can, to get your procedure scheduled as early in the morning as possible......You aren't supposed to eat or drink anything 3-4 hours before the procedure.

Very much this. Especially if you have a coffee addiction and need to drink it with milk. In one of the two I've had done (family history) I went in with a migraine so bad from the prep and lack of coffee or food  that we had to sit in a dark office during the pre-procedure consult. Luckily I mentioned it to the anesthesiologist because I was too nauseated to lie back on the table, and he worked some magic and took out my migraine in ten seconds.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rabbit37 said:

Thought I’d revive this in the hopes of any new and updated advice. I have one scheduled at the end of July. Really dreading the prep, not concerned as much about the procedure. When I scheduled it, she mentioned that the prep had been updated... miralax? Has anyone used that? Ha, doesn’t sound like it changes anything though. 

I’m 56, so already overdue, and there’s family history. 

i have bad GI issues, ive had around 10 of these, Is it the golytley prep? with mass miralax?

23 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Yes, I've had 2 done so far, one when I was 50, and one this past February at 56......My father had colon cancer, so they recommend one every 5 years for me, if they don't find anything......I was a little overdue on the second one......If they find anything, I have to get another done in 3 years........Well, they did find a polyp in February 2019, so I have to get another procedure in 2022......**SIGH**..

I guess it depends on the doc, but I've had the same doc both times........As for the prep changing, I didn't use Miralax, although I hear some docs are using that now........I had to drink that same yucky tasting prep solution called "Golightly" both times......Although the 1st time I had to drink it all at once........This second time it was what the doc called a "split prep". meaning that I had to drink half of the solution (8 oz every 15 minutes), then wait a couple of hours, and drink the other half the same way.

You can expect the prep solution (or miralax) to start working within 1 to 1.5 hours, and be prepared to not be very far from the toliet after you start drinking the solution.

You can have clear liquids, sodas, and black coffee with sugar (no creamer, though) on prep day.....You are allowed jello, and popsicles without fruit pulp, and italian ices.....You're also allowed to have clear juices like apple juice and white grape juice, but no orange juice since it's not clear.....You can even drink clear beef broth......Oh one thing I forgot to add, no red or purple popsicles, no red jello.......It is sort of complicated what you're allowed, but I was just thankful I could still have coffee.....LOL

Also, on prep day, it's a really good idea to have some moist toilet wipes on hand....Regular TP will be sort of abrasive after awhile......I hope that wasn't TMI....

It's a good idea, if you can, to get your procedure scheduled as early in the morning as possible......You aren't supposed to eat or drink anything 3-4 hours before the procedure.

Different docs might have slightly different protocols....My doc did tell me to take all my psych meds as normal on prep day.

golytely is miralax basically, its just  ALOT of it......

all great advice........... 

IMHO the miralax/golytlely prep works and is so much nicer than than the mag citratre prep.........others ive heard diff, mag citrate just makes me sick, and doenst work well

• Like 2

I don't know if you can do it with the prep you're using (I can't remember what mine was called), but I mixed the prep crap with a clear liquid (yellow gatorade I htink), rather than with water.  It made it slightly more tolerable.  But I'd check to make sure it's allowed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

I don't know if you can do it with the prep you're using (I can't remember what mine was called), but I mixed the prep crap with a clear liquid (yellow gatorade I htink), rather than with water.  It made it slightly more tolerable.  But I'd check to make sure it's allowed.

From Crazyredhead:Also, on prep day, it's a really good idea to have some moist toilet wipes on hand....Regular TP will be sort of abrasive after awhile......I hope that wasn't TMI....
——————————
Sorry still cannot figure out how to quote two people in one post, but this. These two things are what totally saved me. 

I also insisted that I was completely out for the entire thing. Just had to have a driver with me. 

Edited by DammitJanet

7 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

Wow, I wish I could have mixed mine with Gatorade.....Some docs are ok with it, some not, so definitely check if you can do it.

Some people prefer to drink the prep solution through a straw, but I didn't find that much better......I just drank it down as fast as I could......

3 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:
I also insisted that I was completely out for the entire thing. Just had to have a driver with me. 

I was totally out, too, both times.......I think it is required now that you have a driver.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I was totally out, too, both times.......I think it is required now that you have a driver.

Yeah. The first one I had, they just put me in a twilight sleep with versed. I woke a few times throughout and was in a good amount of discomfort. 

Since then, I’ve insisted on being put completely under, which requires an anesthesiologist. Just saying that so people know it’s an option.  

• Like 1

Oh wow, I didn’t expect so many replies so quickly! First, THANKS to all! And yeah, don’t know how to do multiple quotes. 

I haven’t received the call from the nurse about prep procedures yet, but I’ll make a list of questions... mixing the miralax with Gatorade certainly sounds better, I’ll ask. I’ve heard to make sure it’s refrigerated too. 

Lol, not TMI about the wipes, I’ve also read that Vaseline as a preventative for soreness also helps. God I am not looking forward to this.

Thankfully my 17 yo now drives, so I’ve got her scheduled... I’ve also told her she has to be in town (she’ll be visiting her older sister in Pittsburgh for a while) during the prep... good lord, I have three dogs, four cats and a parrot, I can’t be dealing with that at the same time! 

I will also ask about the sedation. I’d rather be fully out, I panic easily, and wouldn’t want to wake during the procedure. 

The really depressing part is that this isn’t a once in a lifetime ordeal. Ugh. 

I also have a glass of white wine every night with a friend... would that be allowed? Kinda kidding, kinda not... 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit37 said:

I also have a glass of white wine every night with a friend... would that be allowed? Kinda kidding, kinda not... 😂

Actually, I'm not sure.....Never asked.....Probably something you could discuss with the nurse.

My mom did the miralax w/gatorade plus dulcolax pills protocol. I think she did some with gatorade and some with something like crystal light (some kind of no-calorie flavored drops you add to water). Well, technically her doctor/nurses wanted her to do the dreaded trylite and only offered suprep as an alternative (which apparently is just as bad but you drink less of it?). But by this point in life my mom knew the miralax plus dulcolax protocol existed and is widely used across the country apparently (just not by the major health system my mom's doctors are a part of). She found out about the miralax protocol because one brother in Utah had a colonoscopy and that's the protocol they gave him to follow. Then her other brother had a colonoscopy (he lives about an hour south of us in the midwest) and he was given a similar protocol.

Anyways, she loved the miralax and dulcolax thing with gatorade and flavored water (can't use certain colors of course), as much as one can love such things. Now she no longer dreads prepping for bowel stuff. Incidentally, perhaps because she waited an extremely long time between colonoscopies because she didn't want to do the trilyte thing again, she ended up having to have a colon resection to remove a large polyp located in a tricky spot. 2 nights in the hospital. Fun times. The only polyp they found, but he had to come out. (Totally benign so no worries on that front.)

Oh, but my point is, she told the colorectal surgeon (also part of the same major health system) that she will not do trylite or suprep and will only do miralax/dulcolax and wouldn't you know it, he was able to have his staff quickly print out a miralax/dulcolax protocol for her to follow to prep for her surgery and said it was no problem and she can always follow it going foward if she wants. Why the nurses in the gastroenterologist's office refused to offer this as an option to her prior to her colonscopy a few weeks prior (forcing her to go rogue and follow my uncle's doctor's protocol), I don't know.

And yes, my mom did call the nurses well in advance of the colonoscopy and asked but they would only offer an Rx for suprep as an alternative to trilyte. So my mom went rogue, followed one of the uncles' doctor's protocols. But she did not lie. They asked her just prior to the colonoscopy beginning about when she had last eaten and what she had taken and she told them, "I did the miralax/dulcolax thing," and they seemed okay with this and the colonoscopy went well and there were no issues as far as her colon not being cleared out.

On 5/13/2011 at 8:22 PM, bpladybug said:

I have NOT had one yet. I am several years overdue, plus my uncle died of colon cancer. This is what is stopping me. I have very thin, delicate veins. Last time I was in the ER it was sheer torture when they placed an IV on the top of my hand. This was years ago and I still anguish over this.

Mind you I have experienced pain - gall bladder attack, ruptured ovarian cysts, but ALL I can think about is the thin skin on the top of my hand and being tortured. Not so worried about my ass.

Then tell them not to place IV's there. You have to be firm. I will not let them use either hand for IV's. They have lots of places to place an IV, just not my hands.

I have had about 4, maybe 5. I have IV advice. Personally my only real good veins are in my hands so I tell them to go there, it’s not painful for me, for some reason. However if you ever need an IV and know in advance and it would have to be in your hand—-ask them to get EMLA for you. They use it for kids mainly but it’s a numbing cream they apply thickly over a wide IV area, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit over 15 minutes. It numbs it. Keep it in mind if you’re ever in the hospital or such. 

But otherwise, for an IV, be warm and hydrated. Drink a lot of fluids up to the deadline. And go in very warm, plus ask for warm blankets and warm packs. If you watch at home sometime you’ll see what I mean. Cold and dehydrated makes for a poor IV experience for a lot of us deep veined types. 

For the prep, I chug it and follow with a chaser of broth or white grape juice. I find making real broth the day before, vs canned, is way more tolerable. I’m a pro at these by now I swear. Also  I set a timer and just do it and get done. I used to chill the prep but drinking that much cold drink so fast really bothered my stomach and gave me chills so I go for room temperature or barely chill. 

Anyone going for the test, it’s easy. I’ve also had the upper GI scope and that’s easy too. 

4 hours ago, sugarsugar said:

I have had about 4, maybe 5. I have IV advice. Personally my only real good veins are in my hands so I tell them to go there, it’s not painful for me, for some reason. However if you ever need an IV and know in advance and it would have to be in your hand—-ask them to get EMLA for you. They use it for kids mainly but it’s a numbing cream they apply thickly over a wide IV area, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit over 15 minutes. It numbs it. Keep it in mind if you’re ever in the hospital or such. 

But otherwise, for an IV, be warm and hydrated. Drink a lot of fluids up to the deadline. And go in very warm, plus ask for warm blankets and warm packs. If you watch at home sometime you’ll see what I mean. Cold and dehydrated makes for a poor IV experience for a lot of us deep veined types. 

For the prep, I chug it and follow with a chaser of broth or white grape juice. I find making real broth the day before, vs canned, is way more tolerable. I’m a pro at these by now I swear. Also  I set a timer and just do it and get done. I used to chill the prep but drinking that much cold drink so fast really bothered my stomach and gave me chills so I go for room temperature or barely chill. 

Anyone going for the test, it’s easy. I’ve also had the upper GI scope and that’s easy too. 

I was not referring to you but to bpladybug, that is why I quoted her, who expressed not wanting IV's in her hand. I don't either, my hand hurts for some time after an IV.

I was not implying anyone should get an IV in their hand if they had an option, sorry if I was not clear--I didn't think anyone was referring to me.  I don't have an IV option but I am OK with it, but wanted to give tips to anyone who was a difficult stick so they could have an easier time getting an IV elsewhere on the arm, so the hand wouldn't have to even be discussed.  Sorry I was so unclear.  I was trying to pass on my experience .  Everything I said is so you can get an IV (not anywhere you say is out of bounds) more easily.  Sometimes for emergencies (not colonoscopy) or such or when you just find it too painful to be poked, the EMLA tip may help someone, and not just related to hand IVs.  I didn't realize I was being confusing and hope I'm not just confusing things more now.  

• Like 1

preface by saying i have a litany of stomach issues 

YOu all jinxed me. Monday i woke up with bad stomach pains. Hit the gym, worked out, felt a bit better. But they kept coming on.

Took antacids, gas pills, levsin.....all my arsenal......

Went back to the gym for my second workout of the day. I almost didnt go. I NEVER miss a workout. Such pain throughout the workout. Sometimes i get that stuff and i move around it goes away. As i left the gym it went into hyperdrive. I went home, fell on the bed in agony. Got up walked outside and told my family to take me to the hospital. 

THey moved quick. took a shot of toradol and 3 morphine shots before the pain was gone. 

Anyways part of my bowel twisted, then untwisted, and part was severly dilated...........

Last week i had stomach pains and my doc had me do 2 bottles of mag citrate(which is a bowel prep). 

THen tuesday i did golytley which i do with ease, i kept throwing it up. Doc said do a suppository wait 30 min see if theres a movement. Well there wasnt. So they put things on hold for tuesday night. 6 AM monday morning i was woke up to take the Golytley. Got it all down in an hour. 6 hours later NO MOVEMENT. so the colonoscopy was on hold again. THat kind worked about 7 hours later and through the day. Doc came in and told me he was ordering Movi Prep and I was doing that Later in the day to make sure EVERYTHING is out. I did one bottle that night, and another at 6 am the next morning. 

so after all that , and being up at 6am to start the colonoscopy was at 330 pm. and basically was no liquids or solids most of those days. I had one half a day i was clear liquids only. 

Horrible few days.

Hope all yours go better, 

PS i have had 10 or more colonoscopies, this was not my norm, its usually easy

• Sad 1