CrazyBoards.org

if you've been reading my blog, it's probably pretty obvious that i'm hypomanic, even to me now. i can't explain it away anymore. i flew down here this morning. NOT 140km/h, but close.

how do you know when you've crossed the line and should probably do something about it NOW instead of waiting until your appointment next week?

or rather, DO you know?

how do you know if you've crossed from hypomania to mania?

i THINK i'm still in control, but i could just be kidding myself.

If the question needs to be asked, you need to ask your p-doc. If I am certain I am hypomanic, I am definitely hypomanic, and it is time to call for help immediately. I understand that you can be uncertain at the beginning, and not sure what to do, but now that you are sure, you can't just wait and see how things turn out by your next appointment.

I would encourage you to call doc and seek guidance, yes. That's very risky behavior. I like di's advice as getting your partner to help you.

That being said, I'm not sure what's available in your country. You might have a better experience through the ER in getting into a partial hosp program right away, or at least a quicker sit down with doc....

Anna

You sound like you are on or crossing the line.

Knowing a bit about your medical care system, I will once again echo dianthus and tell you to call your local appointment desk and tell whoever answers that you are engaging in reckless behaviour and ARE a danger to yourself. If you cannot get satisfaction from the appointmentline, then request an emergency room visit. If that does not work, go to the ER, how can any ER in any country deny treatment?

Please do not put this off.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I've been in hypomania for about three or four days now. I feel super "up" and yesterday I began wondering if I'm getting too high. One of my "tells" is rattling keys and getting very restless. Yesterday at work I was rattling my keys as I walked around and someone said "HEY! God...that's annoying. Why do you do that?!" I blasted back (in a sarcastic and funny type way" because I'm bipolar and feeling my mania kicking in!" She laughed it off thinking it a joke.

But you know what? It actually felt liberating to say that...like I got away with admitting it outloud without actually having anyone believe it...you know what I mean?

Because of vacations my therapist is out until the 13th but I may check in with my pdoc just to see what he says...I have a show tomorrow and I don't want to be too manicy for it. I don't play well when I'm too elevated.

I should probably lay off the coffee for a couple days.

Petsounds, I would call right away. That sounds pretty high to me, especially the snappy answer. The next time that happens might not go so smoothly. And it shows you are losing impulse control.

I know I've crossed the line into scary town when I get an adrenaline rush like i'm on drugs. Can't drive the speed limit, becoming obnoxious and loud, agitated... I agree a call to the doc might be a good idea.

i second the "adrenaline rush like i'm on drugs." when i start enjoying myself so much that i kind of forget that there are obligations, social responsibilities, respectful behaviour, work to do, etc. plus also other warning signs which i'd identified for myself (fucked-up sense perception, talking too much) and most importantly, no sleep and risky behaviour i call my pdoc. i have a good one and she'll always see me in between appointments. here's to hoping yours is the same way.

Archived