CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
luij

My problem with getting off Clonazepam

Klons are my personal favorite. I'm stck with xanax right now and hate it. Like taking aspirins, I need to take over my prescribed amount because .25mg does nothing. I told my doc but he keeps me on .25. I have a pdoc appt coming up in March and plan on trying to get back on klons. I was started on .5 x3 day then increased by doc to 1mg 3x day or as needed. Worked great for me and I did not feel dopey or drugged at all.

Klonopin is a lot like Valium imho. Strong and lasts long. So because of that, docs will usually start you off at the lowest and slowly increase your dose if you tell them it's not helping much. Just be honest, because moving up too quickly can put you in la la land. One of my girlfriends once took one of my 1mg klons behind my back. She said it was worse the LSD for her lol. For me I felt nothing, baseline, no anxiety. So it is very important to be patient and start off slow. Klons are not like xanax ot ativan. They are more like Valium. So please be careful. Taken as prescribed you will be just fine tho :)

Again this is NOT a recommendation, diagnosis or in any way trying to suggest any thing excep[t to be careful and be honest with your doc.

Sounds good, I havent gotten a "high feeling" and one day I even took 1mg because i was feeling horrible. My doc started me off at 1.5mg/day but i only took 0.5g/day for the first couple days. then i went off and felt horrible after, now im thinking of taking 1.0g or 1.5g / day. I just want to feel normal again.

Doing more research, some people have been on klonopin for 30 years +, and at dosages like 3mg/day. And they say they are doing great. 
I guess different people react differently.

Doing more research, some people have been on klonopin for 30 years +, and at dosages like 3mg/day. And they say they are doing great. 

I guess different people react differently.

I've been on klonopin since 1995, from 1 mg/day to 4 mg/day (doses changed here and there when needed), and I have not had a problem being on it.  When I was weaning down to a lower dose, it was extremely hard.  I had to go down by 0.25 mg every week or so until I got to the lower dose.

I took Klonopin for anxiety for 4 years.  I've been completely free from Klonopin for about 10 days now.  I was in an unimaginable panic attack mode 24/7 until I started taking Klonopin.  I began by taking .5mg 2x a day, which didn't stop my utter and complete fear of everything around me... so I started to take more.  It was working somewhat ... but I couldn't do without it, so I took more until I started to feel fine.  Which was at 2mg a day. Now that might seem like a lot to people and I guess it could be considered a big dose, because Klonopin starts out at a .5mg dose.  I was the craziest person that you could imagine.  Sitting in a hospital bed banging my head against things. Something out of a horror movie. I never in my life experience such a bad psychotic episode of such fear.  I've had bad episodes but nothing with such fear that wouldn't go away.  So I went to my doctor, and at first he said I needed to increase my Zyprexa dosage, and I did, and then he called me a day later and apologized that he didn't see what was happening to me.  He told me that I had panic attacks. And later went to tell me about anxiety and such... I just remember going into his office a complete crazy mess. I couldn't even function enough for moths to drive myself to a doctor.  Thank god my family stepped in and drove me to my doctor visits!!!  

I started to take less klonopin because I was having severe issues with memory, and confusion.  My psychiatrist told me that Klonopin affects memory.  I've heard it affects short term memory and long term memory. Either way, I started to get really confused about everything around me. I was taking 2mg of Klonopin, 1mg in the morning and one at night.  I also went online and did a little research and most sites that I've gone to talk about memory loss and Klonopin.  It's been reported. And that's all I can say. I'm no expert by any means, but I'm also taking Wellbutrin which affects the part of the front of the brain that is in charge of emotions, but the front of the brain also governs a slew of other mind operations including memory.  I've read that people that take Wellbutrin right off memory loss as a part of getting old, but I'm friken 33, i'm not old, so why is my memory so badly deteriorating at such a rapid pace. Sure enough I tapered myself off Wellbutrin and Klonopin but still taking Zyprexa.  And my memory was no joke, working like a miracle... however it was short lived.  I started to go into my extreme psychosis again with in a few days.  My symptoms of panic and all kinds of other carp that I can't even explain came back. I felt the same way I did before I ever even took Klonopin and Wellbutrin. So I just came to the realization that for me ... my brain is not working properly because of a chemical imbalance.  My father tried to commit suicide and he's had severe psychosis ... but was not in complete and udder fear... he was able to drive and still somewhat function... to some extent.  My fathers mother got sick with leukemia, and she stopped eating and killed herself that way.  So... I have psychotic people from my dad's side of the family and my mother at the same time has severe panic, her back felt like it was on fire, she was in bed for weeks, and could only eat very little the whole day. Sooo... I have extreme panic from my mom's side.... my 2 cents from that is that I have what my mom and dad have combined and more severe to the point of being completely psychotic... without medication.  

I say don't worry about what people say what is a high dose and what is not.  Everyone is different. You will even find that some people need more of one thing at one time and less of another at certain times. It's all about what your body is dictating at that particular time.  I NEEDED 2 mg a day.  Anything less ... I couldn't leave the house and people were afraid to be near me.  I then 2 year forward, started to get god awful confusion and memory issues ... and then went to take less Klonopin... and I was able to taper down to 1 mg a day.  I did that for about 2 years and my memory issues came back again .. i had them all along ... but not as severe as they started to be. It was scary to me.. So I took my Pdoc's advice and tried to taper down the 1mg ... I've been doing the whole tapering down thing for months now.. and I got to the point of taking .125mg, which was a crumb of the actual pill.  I experienced all kinds of panic, and I've been switched to Saphris, which is a powerful tranquilizer I've read... so maybe that is what is helping me with getting off Klonopin.  I can't really tell. It's taken a few stumbles along the way.. but so far so good. I just hope my panic attacks don't come back.  I would not for the life of me recommend going cold turkey off any meds.  Especially Klonopin.. in my experience .. it's just been all bad to try and get off of something too quickly. I agree that you have to taper yourself off.  My memory is not good... but I don't have extreme confusion,,.. only just some confusion.. My best advice is to be easy on yourself. You may take a much higher dose than someone else... but that's because it's what you need at that time to function.  After you are stable for a long enough time... it was 2 years for me... after you feel stable enough and have done some talk therapy and have a good grasp at least on being stable.. then can you think about lowering your medicine.

Big sorrys for the novel.. I hope it helps.

Good luck with everything. 

Edited by grasshopper

because Klonopin starts out at a .5mg dose.

I started out with 0.25 mg pills.

Klons are my personal favorite. I'm stck with xanax right now and hate it. Like taking aspirins, I need to take over my prescribed amount because .25mg does nothing. I told my doc but he keeps me on .25. I have a pdoc appt coming up in March and plan on trying to get back on klons. I was started on .5 x3 day then increased by doc to 1mg 3x day or as needed. Worked great for me and I did not feel dopey or drugged at all.

Klonopin is a lot like Valium imho. Strong and lasts long. So because of that, docs will usually start you off at the lowest and slowly increase your dose if you tell them it's not helping much. Just be honest, because moving up too quickly can put you in la la land. One of my girlfriends once took one of my 1mg klons behind my back. She said it was worse the LSD for her lol. For me I felt nothing, baseline, no anxiety. So it is very important to be patient and start off slow. Klons are not like xanax ot ativan. They are more like Valium. So please be careful. Taken as prescribed you will be just fine tho :)

Again this is NOT a recommendation, diagnosis or in any way trying to suggest any thing excep[t to be careful and be honest with your doc.

I'm kind of surprised that your experience with Valium is that its strong.  It might be me (Drugs don't ever seem to do anything in low doses)  As you suggested I was honest with the doctor about how it was (or wasn't in my case) working.  It's my PRN (As needed) and when I need it the low doses didn't seem to work in fact I told my doctor I couldn't feel any change.  *Anxiety attacks.  I asked to jiggly the dose around and it took a while but we got it to work when things went to hell.    I just wanted to add that for me this is really subtle.  I don't feel "Drugged" at all.  I just feel like I'm back to normal.  Which of course is the proper goal.   I guess its different for everyone.   Maybe Xanax would knock me out versus someone else who felt nothing.   Anyway I'm glad my Doc stayed with the Valium and fiddled with the dose rather then go from drug to drug.   Oh, and I'm thinking of a friend who takes Xanax and it really did change him.   He acts doped up.   Very different from how I knew him.  Maybe this stuff hits me strongly and everyone but me sees the change??   Hummmm

Thanks for this thread. I am trying to get off of my klonopin. As you can tell from my sig I have found it to be quite a helpful drug. I have been taking it for about six months. I was at 1mg a day. Then I tried to get off and my pdoc said no prob and I sorta hopped right off but halves. And then I had three days of heart palpitations and fell into a depression. I did not at the time think this had anything to do with the klonopin but I felt like crap and figured if I was dealing with depression I deserved my klonopin so I started taking it again and bam was totally better. So then I did a little research and was like geez maybe that was klonopin withdrawal. So I want off of this wonderful drug because I want to get pregnant. Again my pdoc said I should have no problem. He said basically there is no such thing and if people have withdrawal from a long dose it is just psychological. I asked him how heart palpitations were psychological and he shrugged. So started weaning down slower than before. By quarters everything one to two weeks. When I had been on .25mg a day for almost three weeks I started getting irritable, cranky, depressed here and there, manicky here and there. I went to a new pdoc (I had a lot of reasons) she said it was usually not a problem to come off low doses that yes it was largely psychological but that some people have a hard time. She gave me the GABA story. Then she offers me other drugs to help come off. But it just doesn't make much sense to me and I actually thought what she would do and what my other pdoc would do would be to increase my lamictal. I mean sure my moods are switching around a bit and I have been irritable but I am fucking Bipolar! And I am only on 125 mg of lamictal. So whatever dudes. I feel like my first doc probably shouldn't have told me to just hop off but I definitely think all of the anti benzo business on the internet is just not really believable. I am happy to taper down slowly. That makes sense to me but I don't anticipate having years of "withdrawal". Honestly, I don't understand why all crazy symptoms after being on a benzo are assumed to be benzo withdrawal. If you were crazy before benzos you'll be crazy after. I tried to ask my new pdoc if this seemed like benzo withdrawal or just plain old sucky bipolar. So there is my long round about story and opinions. Now why haven't they upped my lamictal??? Pdocs are so confusing.

But anyway good luck with your benzos. I think they are a fabulous wonder drug that can save your life and make you functional and are pretty darn safe. Of course it is hard to come off any of these crazy meds. And that is just part of life in crazy land. Meds....can't live without 'em but sure wish we could.

At some point in the last two years I found myself up to 6-8 mgs per day of klonopin. I had to switch pdocs because of insurance. My new pdoc freaked out and made me taper off the klonopin entirely. I had some pretty intense physical withdrawals, but I know that they were totally psychosomatic. Since that time I have gone back on klonopin prn, and I've had no problems and it still works beautifully.I agree with the other posters that it is really person to person and nothing to be feared. It really is a very useful drug.

Thanks guys, you were a real help with my fear of clonazepam.

I'm sure most of you have been on an SSRI at one point.

I've been on one for 2 and a half months now and i dont think its helping and i dont like its side effects, so i want to stop taking it to see how i feel without it.
Has anyone here quit their SSRI cold turkey before? I've only been on it for 2 and a half months.

Has anyone here quit their SSRI cold turkey before? I've only been on it for 2 and a half months.

No, and I wouldn't recommend it either.  If you want to go off your SSRI I would talk to your DR and wean down if you decide to go off of it.