CrazyBoards.org

Actually, Seroquel is supposed to be quite a good antihistamine. People talk about Allegra and Zyrtec, but personally, I've found good old Benadryl to be the best. Plus, if you have anxiety problems, it helps with that too. Plus, it helps with some side effects of psychiatric meds. After taking it for a while, the drowsiness effect wears off, but it is still good.

I have allergies too. My doc always prescribes Allegra (which I think is over the counter now) and a nasal spray that is a prescription for allergies. Also a broncodialator such as albuterol in case I need it. He tells me to using everything when the season starts and until it's over. For me there are 2 seasons spring and fall. So far I've been lucky this spring, haven't had the problem yet.

If you want to try something that isn't a pill, you could buy a neti pot. It's a small pot that you fill with a saline solution (follow the instructions that come with the pot) and you flush your nasal passages with it. I have several friends and relatives who swear by neti pots for both allergies and the dryness we get in the winter when the furnace is on and our air loses all its humidity. They aren't expensive---you can get a cheap plastic one at most drug stores.

olga

Antihisitimines like Claritin or Allegra can help with the itchy nose and eyes. There is an OTC nasal spray called something like Nasacrom that helps some people with congestions. Don't do Afrin. It is addictive. Decongestants can also help, but why take a pill if you can use a topical. Olga mentioned a netti pot which can be good for congestion, too.

i heard that anti-depressants are antihistamines too. maybe you could try working one into your cocktail.

Please don't recommend psych meds for non-psych purposes. It just seems irresponsible.

Actually, Seroquel is supposed to be quite a good antihistamine. People talk about Allegra and Zyrtec, but personally, I've found good old Benadryl to be the best. Plus, if you have anxiety problems, it helps with that too. Plus, it helps with some side effects of psychiatric meds. After taking it for a while, the drowsiness effect wears off, but it is still good.

Please provide a citation regarding Seroquel being a good allergy related antihistimine. I've searched quite a bit to come up with nothing. The stuff congests me which is something no allergy med does. I want to say that its work on head histimine does not translate to body histimine, but I have nothing to back it up. At any rate, recommending a psych med for an allergy problem, as said a sec ago, is irresponsible.

Neti pots work very well.

I am a fan of benadryl myself. It doesn't make me very sleepy. My son has hellish allergies, and he is on, I think, zertec and singular (he has asthma too).

Depending on how bad your problem gets (my son is allergic to 17 things, including dust and pollens and all sorts of madness) I do want to put in a quick plug for allergy shots. Kiddo has been on allergy shots for 1 year, and he is doing SO MUCH better than before. I decided to go that route because with the allergies he has, he's never going to be off allergy meds without them.

The downside to the shots is, while they can be a permanent solution, it takes 4--5 years for full benefit, and you have to go weekly the entire first year. Then you drop to twice a month, and so on.

Do you see an allergist? I really recommend that for severe allergies, they honestly can give you the best advice and go over your options. Allergy shots don't work for everyone, but my son has been able to greatly reduce the amount and dosages of the meds he takes, which is my goal.... I am pretty much hoping that by the time he's 18, he will be off inhalers and prescription meds.

But it takes a major, major commitment. side note: allergy shots really only work well for inhaled allergies, not food ones.

I've heard that quel can help with allergies, but I have no citation on that. Oddly, when I first start taking it, it congests me, but over time that goes away.

I agree that using psych meds for allergies is a really bad idea. Besides which, there are plenty of specific meds for allergies that would do the trick without side effects like you would get with seroquel, for heavens sake.

Anna

I want to second that Neti pots work (at least my allergy doc said that; I still have to try it). I use prescription anti-histamine eye drops and prescription nasal anti-histamine sprays because the oral make me drowsy too, but when it's really bad, I have to use them anyway. Trazodone seems to have some anti-histamine properties, so when I go to sleep and wake up I feel my best. Unfortunately, it seems that most meds that are or share properties with anti-histamines have the drowsy effect.

Shots are great, so I've heard. They don't help for mold so much, if that's one of your triggers.

You don't even need a neti pot to use nasal irrigation. I tilt my head back, and snort a stream (just a burst) of Ocean Saline Nasal Spray up (well, down, as I am tilted back) each nostril. Then a blow my nose immediately and spit out all the stuff that has washed down the back of my throat (gross, sorry, but you know what I mean).

I literally treated a bacterial infection that was just beginning by using nasal irrigation three times a day. This was our clinic's "advice nurse's" recommendation. She said since I caught it early it was worth seeing if I could try to avoid antibiotics. And it totally worked.

I have bad seasonal allergies. I use benadryl, and wash my hands and face a lot, since pollen settles there when I go outside; that was Wooster's suggestion, and it REALLY helps. And when things get bad, I use nasal irrigation. I am allergic to several tree pollens, but the worst is live oak, which pollinates this time of year.

although it is unusual in dogs, Violet has hayfever too. She is also really allergic to live oak, but also clearly allergic to something I am not. If I feel really phlegmy, Violet likely is too, and Frenchies don't have a lot of room for breathing obstructions. She doesn't respond to Benadryl AT ALL. We put her on chlortrimeton, a half pill ever 24 hours. That seems to do the trick.

I hate waking up in the middle of the night when the Benadryl runs out, and I start choking in my own phlegm. Joy.

claritin works well, if you find that allergies fogs up your mind. for me claritin helps with that. otherwise as notfred said zyrtec and allegra are fine. even if you dont have actual nasal spray or saline mix, u can make your own and if you have some sort of a bulb pipette that could help. decongestants like sudafed, especially OTC sudafed can be addiciting so watch out for that.

garlic is supposed to help out a bit with allergies.

i have never heard that sudafed can be addicting, and I have taken it many times. I find it rather useful for nasal issues.

Maybe you are thinking of the fact that sudafed can reather easily be turned into methamphetamine, which is addicting?

But sudafed itself, if taken at correct dosages, is unlikely to trigger um, addiction in most people.

anna

i have never heard that sudafed can be addicting, and I have taken it many times. I find it rather useful for nasal issues.

Maybe you are thinking of the fact that sudafed can reather easily be turned into methamphetamine, which is addicting?

But sudafed itself, if taken at correct dosages, is unlikely to trigger um, addiction in most people.

anna

I find it useful too, it's not found anywhere on wikipedia or most straightforward sites, but I read a few times online people getting addicted to it. Hell, I even get slightly addicted to lyrica, but never heard of anyone getting addicted to that. Although it is a schedule V drug. so in conclusion if you think im out of whack, my sig and further explanation below should suffice.

• 4 weeks later...

I also have seasonal allergies, I thought I had a cold, it wouldn't go away or respond to what the clinic doctor gave me, and I took Reactin after talking to a pharmacist and my symptoms went almost completely away. (Funny: I horseback ride and don't have a single allergy symptom at the barn!)

And Neti Pots are amazing! I wish I still had one. Feels so good afterwards.

even if you dont have actual nasal spray or saline mix, u can make your own and if you have some sort of a bulb pipette that could help.

You can make your own anything if you have the means and knowledge. Without those, it's pretty irresponsible, especially if it's something you will ingest.Besides, saline solution is dirt cheap.

Archived