CrazyBoards.org

What can be done about negative symptoms?

I have no motivation, want to sleep all day, don't want to get out of bed, don't want to shower or brush my teeth, don't want to do the things I used to love doing, etc.

I used to do stuff but now it's like I could sit in a chair or lie in bed all day long and be content.

Is there any way to overcome this?

I feel like a dumb, lazy ass. Or someone who is void of personality. Like something has gone inside me and taken my personality away. Amongst other things (something is inside me trying to kill me...I had an abnormal physical). I don't know what I did to deserve this. I sleep 14 hours a day at least. Don't go to the gym anymore.

Just wondering if others can relate and what can be done about it. Thanks.

I feel like that too a lot, expect i have the extra problem of having a low blood count, which doesn't help things. have you tried talking to a pdoc or are you on any medications? maybe you need to switch out medications, or something like that. good luck with feeling normal again

Are you sure that you are not depressed? It sounds a lot like depression. I've always believed that depression was connected to schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder through negative symptoms.

If you are not depressed, then it could definitely be the meds. Have you spoken with your pdoc over this? What does s/he say?

Negative symptoms don't usually appear overnight. And it seems to me that you didn't have this before you went to the hospital. Maybe you were brought down from mania and thrown into depression? You have to talk to your pdoc because it's a terrible way to live. It's what I've been living for the past year.

Looking at the meds you're taking, it's pretty unlikely that any of them are causing what you're describing. Trazodone is sedating, and topamax can cause cognitive issues in some people, but what you've got going on sounds like more than that. Really, to me it sounfs much more like depression than like negative symptoms. Your effexor dosage is awfully low. Maybe ask your pdoc about an increase?

I know you're on two AAP's, but it might be worth trying another kind of moodnstabilizer, if you haven't in the past. Lamictal is often especially good for addressing depression without eliciting mania. Lithium works well at stopping cycling, preventing the manic upswing that crashes into depression for some people in the first place. I don't know your med history, so maybe you've already tried that, but just a thought.

I'm not in a position to help, but I can kind of relate to what you are going through. I've been feeling really unmotivated lately. For me it feels like it is only over the last week, but I think it has been going on since like Christmas. And I still enjoy the things I enjoy doing, but don't have the energy or motivation to actually do any of them. I've actually blogged about some of this today. And I'm really hating the feeling, even more as I do not understand it.

:wall: :wall: to be honest this is how I feel.

But you are not alone with this.

I knew depression was going to be suggested. I swore that's how I feel and have felt but my case manager kind of dismissed me when I said my mood was only a 4/5. Like "no you look brighter than that." well I sure as hell don't feel any better than that. And a 4/5 is pushing it. I'm going to bring the issue up again and see what he says. Thanks. You guys are way too smart.

Guest Vapourware

I'm another who also thinks that your problem could be related to depression, although I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of negative symptoms. It really depends on how you feel on the mood scale. That can be hard to gauge - do you have a mood tracker?

The suggestion of something like Lamictal is a good one, and that might help with your baseline mood. I guess my main suggestion is to keep moving and remain active, no matter how small they might seem. It can also be hard at first. Once you start moving, however, you might find it easier to keep up the momentum. When I've been in similar states, I've found that the less I move around, the more sedentary I become and the more ingrained the symptoms become.

No advice, but I can relate. I don't want to get out of bed and simple things like taking a shower seem difficult. I asked my pdoc about negative symptoms, but he didn't think so. I have issues with anxiety and he thinks that is what is holding me back.

What you are describing does sound like it could be depression.

Negative symptoms are common in disorders other than schizophrenia such as depression. Although that bit you probably already know. Medications like wellbutrin or other antidepressants that work on norepinephrine can help. Also stimulants can help too. But you should see a psychiatrist though to get a better answer.

Negative symptoms are common in disorders other than schizophrenia such as depression. Although that bit you probably already know. Medications like wellbutrin or other antidepressants that work on norepinephrine can help. Also stimulants can help too. But you should see a psychiatrist though to get a better answer.

Depression and negative symptoms really aren't at all the same thing. Though they may look similar from the outside, they are significantly different. I'm not seeing anything suggesting effective treatment from wellbutrin, norepinephrine agonists, or stimulants. AAP's sem to be somwhat better than typicals. SSRI's sometimes help a bit, and glutamatergic agents are showing some promise.

Beyond just the 4/5 does your case manager know you sleep 14 hrs a day, don't want to shower, don't want to do the things you used to love doing and that you can spend the whole day sitting or lying down? You gave specific examples, and those are helpful to paint the picture of what you're experiencing more than just a number. Llama, I hope you find relief for what you're going through.

llama, I do the same thing--play off my symptoms, try to look better than I am. But you have to be honest, otherwise he can't really help you.

Ditto.

I've always done this. Partly through fear, partly through not seeing the significance of the symptoms. But it was only through being honest that I was able to get the help I needed.

Archived